Do you check contents on products you buy?

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Do you check the list of contents on products you buy, like soap, cleaning supplies, clothes, food etc?

After watching a documentary about the reinforest on Borneo and how we are killing orangurans to the degree that they would go extinct if it weren't for voulenteer workers - all for cheap palm oil - I am no longer buying products with palm oil. Unless it's 100% ecological palm oil.

After watching another documentary about how we are ruining our environment and hurting all types of animals with plastic, I am much more aware of the dos and don'ts regarding plastic. I will not be buying much polyester clothes anymore!!! I will never wash fleece fabrics again.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Wish there were more like you @Emelee - the selfishness of humans is destroying the planet and leaving not much to look at. I will never understand the superior attitude.

I always check - I'm not sure about worldwide, but in the UK there is a little bunny symbol which represents products that are cruelty free.

It does say international, so maybe it is everywhere. I'd never buy anything tested on an animal even if it costs more. Go and test them on people I say!

I don't eat meat but I do eat fish and eggs. I'm trying my best to go as vegetarian and hopefully eventually vegan as I can.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
I don't eat meat but I do eat fish and eggs. I'm trying my best to go as vegetarian and hopefully eventually vegan as I can.
This is so important. If you care about the environment, the most effective thing you can do is cut down on your meat consumption. Raising livestock for meat, eggs and milk generates 14.5% of global greenhouse gas emissions, the second highest source of emissions and greater than all transportation combined. It also uses about 70% of agricultural land, and is one of the leading causes of deforestation, biodiversity loss, and water pollution.

I'm now a part-time vegan. I don't eat animal products 4 days a week but I still like to have some meat in my diet to ensure I have the correct range of hard to get proteins. and minerals. I may eventually go to having a vegan diet 5 days a week.

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
I am not a vegetarian, but I have cut down on meat a lot in recent years because there are such good products today to replace meat. Just this past week, I've eaten nothing but salads. Mainly because I don't fancy eating warm food when it's warm weather. I am fully aware of the ordeal chickens go through to end up on our plates, but I love chicken too much to stop eating it forever. I have cut down though. I've also cut down on fish considering so much of the fish in stores are farmed.

Whenever I eat meat, I only eat Swedish meat. I would never consider anything else. Our rules are stricter than EU's rules so I know they've been handled good when they were alive and been humanely killed and are not full of antibiotics.

Not to completely make this a thread about vegetarianism...

I've gone fully over to using solid soaps that are eco-friendly. No more of that rubbish liquid soap.

I use vegan shampoo and conditioner from Sweden, so it hasn't travelled far nor has any animals been used.

I use far less chemicals when I clean. Eco-friendly soap is usually enough. White vinegar mixed with water if needed, or lemons or bicarbonate mixed with water. No more clorine or bleech!!

Old good housewife cleaning tips are GOLD. So many good cleaning tips without using toxic chemicals have been forgotten because it's easier to just buy a bottle of absolutely whatever crap in the store.

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Wish there were more like you @Emelee - the selfishness of humans is destroying the planet and leaving not much to look at. I will never understand the superior attitude.

I always check - I'm not sure about worldwide, but in the UK there is a little bunny symbol which represents products that are cruelty free.

It does say international, so maybe it is everywhere. I'd never buy anything tested on an animal even if it costs more. Go and test them on people I say!

Don't get me started on those symbols - there are so many of them to keep track of, both international and national. :eek: