Do you get attached to inanimate objects?

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I ask because, well, I do and it's becoming a problem.

I cried when my car was traded in and now I'm trying to trade in my iPhone 6plus and I feel disloyal because it's been with me through so much (ok trips to Dallas and Disneyland but you get the idea).

I'm having to really force myself to say 'it can't hear you, it doesn't have a heart or feelings...'

Am I alone here?

1601644203658.png

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You are not alone. At times I've become attached to inanimate objects as well. In my twisted thinking I must at some level think they have a soul.

Late last year and early this year I couldn't trade my current car in for a much nicer and new models. I was ready two times to write the check and sign the titles but I couldn't pull the trigger. I just couldn't bear to see my current car sent to an auction when it was running fine but was just getting old. I may have the same issue with my smartphone as well.

Certain things become close to you in life and it's hard to let them go even if they are not living.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I have named all my cars over the years. There are a couple that I've felt more attachment to over and above the others. In fact I came across a photo of my last car recently and came over all sentimental.

Likewise, there are certain items of furniture that feel special to me or bring me comfort. But in a different kind of a way. It's usually because they were presents, or I have happy memories of choosing them. Many years ago when I moved home I parted with a lot of items, and there were some things which I just had to make sure were going to a good home. Especially soft furnishings, for some reason. When I moved home last time, I had a favourite pair of curtains from the old house altered to fit in the new and once they were up everything just felt right.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Thank you @Michelle Stevens ! I've always been very sentimental over stuff - case in point the attic at home is still filled with my childhood toys which I wouldn't allow my parents to give away. But when it comes to the difference between sentimental and stuff you HAVE to at one point or another part with, that's when I struggle.

Aw @Mel O'Drama - I want to hug you now. That's how I get over stuff. Like a chair that belonged to my Dad - I took it away from my brother as he was keeping it in the garage, but I guess that's sentimental. But I feel weird even giving away an old tv set that doesn't work anymore because my Mum bought me it. I also have a pair of 30 year old ski socks that I wore on a school trip that I won't part with.

Don't even start me about Linda Gray's top that I have. (I also have her pearls from The Graduate, but I've left strict instructions for my burial with that one ;) )

Last edited:

Mo Mouse

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I ask because, well, I do and it's becoming a problem.

I cried when my car was traded in and now I'm trying to trade in my iPhone 6plus and I feel disloyal because it's been with me through so much (ok trips to Dallas and Disneyland but you get the idea).

I'm having to really force myself to say 'it can't hear you, it doesn't have a heart or feelings...'

Am I alone here?

View attachment 23114

Sar, it's over between us. I didn't realise that you were a freaky, round the bend bird.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Sar, it's over between us. I didn't realise that you were a freaky, round the bend bird.

Oh my darling Mo, please give me another chance. I was hoping if I put myself out there and talk about it, get the right support, that I can eventually return to my status as the brainiest bird on the forum.

Mo Mouse

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hmmmmm. I'm a sucker for hard luck stories, Sar, so okay. We're back on.

Talking of being brainy, do you know much about that bloke Occam and his disposable razor or whatever it is ? And logarithms ? And nuclear fission ? The reason I ask is because I don't just want a bimbo for a bird.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Oh thank you dear @Mo Mouse

William of Ockham is actually a direct descendant of mine. I live by his principle (not Victoria) that 'Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily'.

Actually have a picture of that very saying hanging in my bathroom.

John Napier is quite an inspiration to me - did you know for example his logarithms come from the Greek to mean proportion ratio or word?

I've also been working with my science set from Tescos on some nuclear fission (in the garage). Radioactive decay is fascinating.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't really attached to inanimate objects/products; the only item I own that I have any nostalgic attachment to is a small stuffed gorilla that I've had since I was around 6. Otherwise, I'm the opposite of a hoarder; I'm eager to get rid of anything that's not currently in use. I find the act of getting rid of stuff to be cleansing and cathartic.

The caveat being plants. I wouldn't say that I get attached to them so much that I have an irrational guilt about them. I had a cumbersome potted tree for years that was a thorn in my side. I had to seasonally lug it from my patio to my living room to my bedroom to ensure it got sufficient light; no matter where it was, it was inconvenient. Yet, I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. This past spring I finally took it outside and planted it. I even had a little conversation with it, "Okay, so I'm setting you free ..." and I feel awfully guilty that it probably won't survive the winter.

Last edited:

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The caveat being plants. I wouldn't say that I get attached to them so much that I have an irrational guilt about them. I had a cumbersome potted tree for years that was a thorn in my side. I had to seasonally lug it from my patio to my living room to my bedroom to ensure it got sufficient light; no matter where it was, it was inconvenient. Yet, I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. This past spring I finally took it outside and planted it. I even had a little conversation with it, "Okay, so I'm setting you free ..." and I feel awfully guilty that it probably won't survive the winter.

I certainly have the same feeling if not more so with plants but as they are living things they are only one step below an actual pet like a dog or cat to me. As I have no current pets my plants are my pets. I am not ashamed to admit I have shed tears over the death of some of my plants.

Last edited:

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I get sentimental over my car's.

I have a black Peugeot 308 which I've had for about four years now.

I usually change them at five years old & it's always like pulling teeth as it's a part of the family for me. :)

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My CDs and DVDs are sort of like my babies because they represent my excellent taste in stuff. I'd rather lose and expensive piece of electronic equipment than a very obscure and irreplaceable CD-single.
It's all about emotional value and I can be very drama queenish when it comes to my pretty stuff (also the soaps on DVD, of course)

But, like Snarky said, those feelings tend to lessen every year (for the record, I'm not as old as he is)

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I feel the same way over cars - especially when i was younger

My first car was an old Renault 5 in burgandy Red called Bobby - after you know who Ewing - and cost me £999

My dad kitted it out with spares from an office carpet for the flooring and i bought new car seat covers and I loved it and cried when i had to part with it

It kept cutting out after a year of it!

For some reason I also hate returning things to shops as i used to worry "id hurt its feelings" daft but true

Mo Mouse

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh thank you dear @Mo Mouse

William of Ockham is actually a direct descendant of mine. I live by his principle (not Victoria) that 'Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily'.

Actually have a picture of that very saying hanging in my bathroom.

John Napier is quite an inspiration to me - did you know for example his logarithms come from the Greek to mean proportion ratio or word?

I've also been working with my science set from Tescos on some nuclear fission (in the garage). Radioactive decay is fascinating.

Okay Sar, I'm convinced. You are the brainiest bird on the forum. You'll be spouting French next, saying things like petit pois and voulez vous couchez avec moi ce soir.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm having the inner debate about replacing my car right now...nice to know I'm not being silly by caring so much about the old bucket of bolts. Of course the longer I debate, the more I save for the down payment, so maybe sentimentality has tangible rewards.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
On the first reflection of this question, my answer would be no. I have no problem throwing out the old to bring in the new, in fact, I love it and if I had more money, I would be constantly replacing things.

Then I thought about my daughter and we have 4 boxes in the loft of memorabilia from the day she was born. Imagine @Barbara Fan's DALLAS collection and then dilute it right back, from newspapers to medical bracelets and all those things that happen during the first ten years of life.

Then I think about the photos we have dating so far back we can't name everyone on them. But am I attached to them? Not really, I mean I don't do anything with them apart from storing them.

I keep reminding myself to buy some fire safety boxes in which I would keep important documents and probably the memorabilia, I would be devastated if we lost those in a fire.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I tend to stick with the same makes & brands when I change things, that way I think I'm getting something better than the last one.

For instance, my Peugeot 308 is my fifth Peugeot in a row. I've had a 306, a 206, a 307 & another 308 which got ran into (not my fault).

I'll probably end up with another Peugeot next time, although I'm tempted to change makes just for a change. :)