Don't be afraid - they're just feeling sexy!

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Why hoover it up? It's a living creature. We need to be a bit more tolerant of these creatures. Says me the extreme arachnophobe. I can't wait for the day someone starts to hoover up the human race.:box: Full of our own self importance we are!

Ome

Admin
Solutions
Reaction score
Why hoover it up?
She's talking about the web, not the spider.

I would hoover a web, though I tend to use a tickling stick - let them know they are not welcome to shack up home in my house.

:D But they've taken time to design you a lovely web.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Medals
The webs can be so beautiful and intricate, it amazes me how a little thing like a spider can quickly weave something so complex and strong, how do they know how to do it?

Just doing what comes naturally, I suppose...

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
Reaction score
Medals
Why hoover it up? It's a living creature.
She's talking about the web, not the spider.
Yes, its just the webs I vacuum up using the extension on the hoover :D
I would put the webs outside with the spiders if they didn't brake and thats the amazing thing .... I had a spiders web on the side mirror of my car, drove 100 miles down the motorway and it stayed intact. Clever little spiders.

Just doing what comes naturally, I suppose...

Thanks @Mel O’Drama :lmao:

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
Just (if you can bear it) put a glass over and carry safely outside. Ask it never to come back.
The problem is I don't own a glass big enough. And in general I find these spiders to be confrontational and disagreeable, more so than the common house spider that just scurries back under the skirting board if it should be seen. These f**kers come out bold as brass taunting me. They want me to leave, they want my house.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
No... I think we need to look into genetically altering the size of adult spiders, as they are obviously becoming too big. Their size is increasing and yet the flies remain the same size. It's freak genetic mutation and if we let this go on they will soon be our size and since spiders lay between 2 and 1000 eggs it is only a matter of time before we find ourselves entangled in a messy, sticky, silky web awaiting death while the spider master race live comfortably in our homes licking the flesh from our bones.

Mo Mouse

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Spiders are beautiful, living creatures who have every right to go wherever they wish. Unless they find their way into my larder in which case I guess it's okay to stamp on the little bastards.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
I believe many generations of house insects are born and raised inside houses, never been outside. It's become their natural environment.
I would put the webs outside with the spiders
They won't survive outside the house. Murderer!

Having said that, I think mainland Europe should ban all import from the UK, just in case any of these monstrous creatures decide to hop on board.
And if I order something from amazon uk they can ship it from their german warehouse.

Be brave, my English friends!
*locks border*

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
We used to get them regularly but every three weeks, I spray the entry points with the No More Spiders spray. This contains Peppermint Oil and keeps them away without harming them. Although I accidentally discovered that a direct hit squirt bumps them off, while leaving a nice minty odour. Raid crawling insect spray is effective, even though they aren’t insects. My favourite method of disposal is the vacuum hose. The webs are pretty, though. Some of the more ruthless family members use white vinegar sprays on them.

Yes!

And that haunts me no end...
Kill their family.

Last edited:

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
Besides, I don't think something this big can be easily killed.
I hear them sometimes. Before I see them. They are that big.

Last edited:

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
The problem is I don't own a glass big enough. And in general I find these spiders to be confrontational and disagreeable, more so than the common house spider that just scurries back under the skirting board if it should be seen. These f**kers come out bold as brass taunting me. They want me to leave, they want my house.
Those sound like the big ones that shoot out from under the sofas and just sit there, trying to intimidate you. Or the ones that just appear in the room corner directly above the TV set. Or the ones that appear on the wall behind you and drop down beside you.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
Those sound like the big ones that shoot out from under the sofas and just sit there, trying to intimidate you. Or the ones that just appear in the room corner directly above the TV set. Or the ones that appear on the wall behind you and drop down beside you.
I think they are known as Gangland Spiders. There's a whole web of it. It goes further than most people realise.

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
No... I think we need to look into genetically altering the size of adult spiders, as they are obviously becoming too big. Their size is increasing and yet the flies remain the same size. It's freak genetic mutation and if we let this go on they will soon be our size and since spiders lay between 2 and 1000 eggs it is only a matter of time before we find ourselves entangled in a messy, sticky, silky web awaiting death while the spider master race live comfortably in our homes licking the flesh from our bones.
I see. We used to have that sort of trouble with ants.
2D72EA67-7274-4D7E-844F-FBAE1929A804.jpeg
90A1228F-4C4A-4797-B74B-039558F2EC44.jpeg
A7371F53-4CA3-4BBA-960E-8FF85D673B75.jpeg

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
When I read spider season, I thought it meant cooking recipes.

Last edited:

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
I'm not usually that spooked about them, but two, this size, in as many nights is really starting to freak me.

All I keep doing is looking around the room, it's pathetic!
This brings a different meaning to "spider season".
51184810_fried-tarantula-spider_1x1.jpg

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Mother of shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals

Forget Halloween or Boxing Day with your family, the scariest time of the year is already here: spider season.

But what may be a petrifying period for us is actually a blast for the arachnids as they're out looking for love.

"The ones we see scuttling around in the house - they're usually the male house spiders," entomologist, author and self-proclaimed 'bugman' Richard Jones tells Radio 1 Newsbeat.

"The ones you see running across the carpet in front of you freaking you out, most often it'll be a male out on some sort of amorous pursuit.

"They're more mobile than the other sedentary females. And that's why we see them at this time of year."

House spiders are descended from species that come from the Mediterranean or North Africa, which is why they like living in our warm, dry homes and won't be found building webs in the garden.

Those ones have no interest in coming indoors.

"The garden spiders are looking very big and obvious at the moment - but they remain outdoor creatures, and they do not invade our houses," says Richard.

Although he does say it's "highly likely" that if a house spider or daddy-long-legs does come crawling in through your window, it's because one of your neighbours has chucked it out of theirs.

Spider myths: Busted
Despite the myths, spiders don't deliberately crawl into our mouths when we're asleep, they don't lay eggs in humans and in the UK, most spiders couldn't even bite you if they wanted to.

"Most of them just cannot get their jaws open wide enough to bite a human finger," Richard says.

"It's a bit like somebody trying to take a bite out of a basketball.

"And even if the spiders could open their jaws that big, their fangs are just not powerful enough to penetrate our tough, leathery human skin."

There are exceptions, of course. You might have heard about the false widow spiders which can bite and, in some cases, shut down schools.

But you'd have to really get on their nerves to make them attack.

'They won't bite'
"They can give you a nip but only really if you pick it up between finger and thumb," Richard says.

"If you've got one running across you - or you hold it in the palm of your hand, then they're not threatened. They don't realize they're under attack and so they won't bite."

Those are rare, but it's almost certain that all of us - no matter how much you hoover beneath the sofa - have a load of house spiders in our homes waiting to get out of the shadows and start having spider-sex under your furniture and on the good plates.

"I think even the cleanest, smallest house will have a good 20 to 40 spiders," says Richard.

That's probably manageable for most but what if you live in an older home? You've probably got thousands of eight-legged houseguests.

"Old Victorian houses like mine - with lots of little cracks and crevices and places for things to get in - I wouldn't be at all surprised if we're well into four figures."

Well that's reassuring! :eek:

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Even more reassuring is the fact that no spider is going to hang out in your house (or a barn, or a spooky old mansion or whatever) if there wasn't something attracting them to it--in other words, the spider needs to eat. And no, he is not nibbling on your ear at night or grabbing that last slice of pizza from the fridge. Big bugs are eating littler bugs. The spider's continued residency in your home basically says "You've got other creepy-crawlies to worry about, too."

I grew up in the sticks, so spiders, snakes, mice, etc. don't really faze me, but I know that most insects don't take it personally if you make 'em go splat. They reproduce in the thousands just to cancel out humanity's occasional waving of a size-12 Reebok in a late-night freak-out.