• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Douglas in season two and beyond

Arlene Halloran

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Could you have pictured Douglas running THE GLOBE with Richard in season two and beyond? Was there really room for Angela's first husband in the show apart from sort of setting the scene in the first year.

Gioberti84

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't think so. Doug was very much a secondary character in season 1 and introducing Richard the way they did was better for the show.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, Douglas was a bit of a bore (if we don't count his retconned bed hopping and baby stealing) and certainly trading him in for Richard was the way to go. Perhaps if he had been a more dynamic character he might have been worth keeping around, and if one of Richard's father was to be spared I'd rather it be Henri Denault.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think they killed Douglas off too soon. He would have been an interesting character to have brought back as either an adversary for Angela or someone to support her when things went against her. I don't think there was room for him in the first few seasons and it would have changed the dynamic of the relationship that Richard was trying to build with Angela and her daughters.

Chloe-Fusco

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Douglas was alright. He was boring that is for sure but he always seemed to be a gentleman. While I could understand Jacqueline's twist in season six, as in Peter's letter what he said was out of character for Douglas.

Falcon Crest I

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Nah he was an important character in the history of the show but I think he would have got caught up in some cartel runin and would've been killed off, pronto.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
A Douglas scene with Richard would have spoiled Jaquelinne's shocking revelation. She was Richard's mother.
But it would have worked further
1º Douglas's letter to whom? that he discovers the kidnapping
It could have been a posthumous letter to Richard asking for forgiveness.
Jaquelinne could have intercepted her. She wanted Richard to consider Angela his enemy.
2nd. Or some arc that would explain to us why Douglas kidnapped Richard.
In the eighth season, a friend of Douglas or a nurse explained why the kidnapping occurred. Blaming Angela's behavior for it.
3rd Or you discover that it is a lie. Richard discovers the body of Angela's first-born son. And that Stravos' letter was a forgery. That would explain Richard's behavior in the eighth. He thinks Angela is an accomplice.
Angela was innocent and in the final scene of the eighth Richard reveals it.
1706180347328.jpeg

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Douglas was alright. He was boring that is for sure but he always seemed to be a gentleman. While I could understand Jacqueline's twist in season six, as in Peter's letter what he said was out of character for Douglas.
In season 1 episode 14 we have the following dialogue
DOUGLAS
You know... there has been an ulterior motive in everything you've ever done... In the beginning, I was truly in love with you -- but all you saw in me was a young publisher with a bright future and lots of money...
ANGIE
I did love you, Douglas
DOUGLAS
Maybe -- but that wasn't enough, was it? Without my money, it would have been impossible to put Falcon Crest on its feet again after Prohibition.

This is the Douglas that we saw, we remember, He was still in love with Angela, he never remarried, He loved his daughters, Emma was the favorite, he left Richard the Globe
But in the fifth season we have another version
5-27 Consumed
ANGELA
Your father came from a poor background. He was a bright man he pulled himself up by his bootstraps. But he always resented me because my family was wealthy.
EMMA
Why would I resent it? Your father loaned him the money to get the newspaper started.
ANGELA
And Douglas spent his entire life resenting that, too. I'm happy that you're in love — but Dwayneis too much like Douglas, Hardheaded uncompromising It's not going to last Emma — and I don't want to see you get your heart broken

In the fifth season Earl Hamner was responsible for Falcon Crest. He did not realize that the two versions were contradictory.
Douglas's letter was from season 6 episode 28 Desperation
History by : Jeff Freilich and Howard Lakin
Teleplay by  : Howard Lakin
But they never explained to us why Douglas kidnapped Richard. Then he remained married to Angela and was a good father to Emma and Julia.
This Clip is in Spanish but the subtitle can be translated

Last edited: