Dream season...inside the head of Pamela Ewing

Soaplover

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Yes, the 1985 to 1986 season became known as the dream season and it was a last minute decision. However, if you think about it...that whole season was the last time we fknally got to see things from Pam's point of view and could partly explain the Stepford Wife approach she takes in that final season (quitting the pil business, devoting herself to Bobby, becoming insecure about not being able to give Bobby a baby, dread of having Jenna being a part of their lives forever hence offering to buy the baby, etc).

To sum it up, we see the dream start with the death of Bobby due to Katherine. Her biggest fear was Katherine waiting to strike and the dream shows her greatest fear realized...losing Bobby and due to Katherine. At the same time, Bobby dies saving her..which leaves her feeling guilt.

It's not a surprise seeing Mark G making a return...she did love him in some capacity..and she spent part of the prwvious season believing he was still alive...so in her dream, it makes sense he would return.

Showing her working at Ewing Oil and facing off with JR.. was probably something she dreamed of...to beat him at his own game...plus having that adventure in South america...was probably some sort of fantasy she had to be an explorer.

It is fitting that in her dream, she has Sue Ellen beat her addiction..become stronger and start to work. And seeing Sue Ellen and JR unite was probably her internal acceptance that the two belonged together....while JR and Mandy have a clean break up without it getting messy shows that Pam still liked Mandy.

Seeing Cliff and Jamie actually fall in love and seeing cliff happy plus giving up on beating JR..showed what Pam always wanted...her brother not being her own worse enemy.

JR agreeing to stop the feud...Jenna comong to terms with the fact Bobby loved Pam..Ray and donna adopting a chils plus him being cleared on Mockey's death (i think)...shows us what Pam's wishes were if she had a chance to have things her way.

The cliffhangers...Sue Ellen in an explosion...Jamie killed..etc... shows that even in a dream...no one can control everything..and that no one can play God.

Just my thoughts

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
She may well have been watching Dynasty in the run up to Swansong as well.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Great thread... but JRs breakup with Mandy wasn't clean. The stupid twat still pursued him after her dumped her and I am yet to see any evidence of Pam 'liking' Mandy.

Enjoyed your thread though :)

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I am yet to see any evidence of Pam 'liking' Mandy.

Well, they certainly developed a rapport during Season 7 and Pam described Mandy as "a very decent person".

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Yes, the 1985 to 1986 season became known as the dream season and it was a last minute decision. However, if you think about it...that whole season was the last time we fknally got to see things from Pam's point of view and could partly explain the Stepford Wife approach she takes in that final season (quitting the pil business, devoting herself to Bobby, becoming insecure about not being able to give Bobby a baby, dread of having Jenna being a part of their lives forever hence offering to buy the baby, etc).

To sum it up, we see the dream start with the death of Bobby due to Katherine. Her biggest fear was Katherine waiting to strike and the dream shows her greatest fear realized...losing Bobby and due to Katherine. At the same time, Bobby dies saving her..which leaves her feeling guilt.

It's not a surprise seeing Mark G making a return...she did love him in some capacity..and she spent part of the prwvious season believing he was still alive...so in her dream, it makes sense he would return.

Showing her working at Ewing Oil and facing off with JR.. was probably something she dreamed of...to beat him at his own game...plus having that adventure in South america...was probably some sort of fantasy she had to be an explorer.

It is fitting that in her dream, she has Sue Ellen beat her addiction..become stronger and start to work. And seeing Sue Ellen and JR unite was probably her internal acceptance that the two belonged together....while JR and Mandy have a clean break up without it getting messy shows that Pam still liked Mandy.

Seeing Cliff and Jamie actually fall in love and seeing cliff happy plus giving up on beating JR..showed what Pam always wanted...her brother not being her own worse enemy.

JR agreeing to stop the feud...Jenna comong to terms with the fact Bobby loved Pam..Ray and donna adopting a chils plus him being cleared on Mockey's death (i think)...shows us what Pam's wishes were if she had a chance to have things her way.

The cliffhangers...Sue Ellen in an explosion...Jamie killed..etc... shows that even in a dream...no one can control everything..and that no one can play God.

Just my thoughts
The only thing that I don't completely agree about is Katherine. While it does make sense that Pam would dream about Katherine killing Bobby due to Katherine's previous attempts leaving a lasting impression on Pam, I honestly don't believe that Pam was ever worried about it happening again after Katherine skipped bail. It was the same for JR, who gave up on finding and having her arrested extremely quickly once he found out that she wasn't aiming for him. Once Katherine skipped bail (and after she walked out of the hospital in season eleven), Pam and the other characters seemed to have forgotten that she had even existed. So I don't believe that Pam ever feared Katherine killing Bobby after she left.

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Well, they certainly developed a rapport during Season 7 and Pam described Mandy as "a very decent person".
I always found it so amusing how the other characters never had much of a problem with women who went after JR and that the writers usually made lines like these for them to show that they were sympathetic to their characters, but if women went after Bobby while Pam was around it was like "Noooo!" Lol!

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Great thread... but JRs breakup with Mandy wasn't clean. The stupid twat still pursued him after her dumped her and I am yet to see any evidence of Pam 'liking' Mandy.

Enjoyed your thread though :)
I hated how the dream season dumping wasn't real, and that we had to wait for Mandy to leave AGAIN after Pam woke up! I was so tired of those stupid hot tub and pear scenes with Mandy always saying: "Oh, JR!" Boooring!

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
I wonder how Pam was able to dream up Angelica Nero? Was it easier to imagine because of Katherine and a lot of her horrible (in my opinion) outfits? Surely it helped Pam's mind design Angelica's even more ridiculous wardrobe!

Alexia

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I hated how the dream season dumping wasn't real, and that we had to wait for Mandy to leave AGAIN after Pam woke up! I was so tired of those stupid hot tub and pear scenes with Mandy always saying: "Oh, JR!" Boooring!

I agree!! Those scenes were so corny & icky (for some of them)!!:eck: I hated how JR & Mandy were together again in season 10 after he had dumped her (twice!!!!) and the marvelous JR & Sue Ellen scenes we had had in the dream season.:bang: And, Mandy was so vicious to Sue Ellen at the beginning of season 10 and sooooooooo obsessed about having JR marry her, she was downright insufferable in my opinion.

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
I agree!! Those scenes were so corny & icky (for some of them)!!:eck: I hated how JR & Mandy were together again in season 10 after he had dumped her (twice!!!!) and the marvelous JR & Sue Ellen scenes we had had in the dream season.:bang: And, Mandy was so vicious to Sue Ellen at the beginning of season 10 and sooooooooo obsessed about having JR marry her, she was downright insufferable in my opinion.
And then there was: "But JR and I love each other!" "JR, don't go! Boo hoo, hoo!" Cry me a river, lady! And: "I feel so sorry for Sue Ellen." Like heck you do! Especially when, not much later: "Southfork seems so grand!" Dream on. The only thing you're gonna have is that stupid "princess" condo/lust nest. And the act is finally over with: "You b****!! I'm not leaving without JR!" Um...okaay? Shows just how much she knows JR that she honestly believed he would leave Dallas! And last but not least, Mandy likes to flush valuable diamond jewelry down the toilet. She could have pawned it for some cash instead!

Alexia

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And then there was: "But JR and I love each other!" "JR, don't go! Boo hoo, hoo!" Cry me a river, lady! And: "I feel so sorry for Sue Ellen." Like heck you do! Especially when, not much later: "Southfork seems so grand!" Dream on. The only thing you're gonna have is that stupid "princess" condo/lust nest. And the act is finally over with: "You b****!! I'm not leaving without JR!" Um...okaay? Shows just how much she knows JR that she honestly believed he would leave Dallas! And last but not least, Mandy likes to flush valuable diamond jewelry down the toilet. She could have pawned it for some cash instead!

Presea, you rock!!!!:haha:

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Presea, you rock!!!!:haha:
Why, thank you! Just looking at Mandy and JR's "relationship" actually makes me disregard all of the problems in Sue Ellen's and JR's relationship! Because Sue Ellen and JR's relationship and Sue Ellen herself, were three-dimensional. Whereas Mandy and JR's relationship and Mandy were one-dimensional, in my opinion.