Dynasty Season 9 Thoughts/Reviews

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Aaaaah. Finally.

I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

You can tell you're in good hands as early as the opening credits: Some of the clips have been changed, but only the ones that were horrible. Blake, Fallon, Sammy Jo, etc. The good ones remained (with the exception of Dana's, who bizarrely gets a shot of the Carrington grounds for her background. Well, I guess she's leaving, so they didn't bother much). They went in and cut out all the bad. It could stand as a metaphor for the whole series!

How thrilling is it to feel like my brain cells don't have to die to watch the show?

There was so much fun: Fallon toying with Jeff and Sammy Jo. Sammy Jo throwing champagne at Jeff. Dex and Alexis sharing some truly great scenes. For the first time in all his years, I truly enjoyed Dex: Humorous, fun... he even became sexier!

It's the kind of thing we see with so many characters: Jeff, now written more specifically as a lovable jerk. Sammy Jo, who hasn't been allowed to be nicely trashy in years. Fallon's return to form, naturally, is the most obvious example. Blake was 'altered' too... or rather, some of his earlier harshness has been reintroduced to the writing, and finally he can
breathe. I nearly died when he and Jeannette agreed that Krystle has been acting weird for years.

I love the effort to establish a strong dynamic between Fallon and Adam.

In typical, Pauls-ian fashion, Krystle's disappearance is used to introduce another story.

The only regret I have is we don't get to see Krystle get back to her real self, at least not in this episode.

NO SPOILERS please!

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes. Suddenly, the show can finally breathe...

1609365701936.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Too bad it's as well the shows final breath. :(

Can't wait to read some more well deserved delightful praise that's to come! :spinning:

The good ones remained (with the exception of Dana's, who bizarrely gets a shot of the Carrington grounds for her background. Well, I guess she's leaving, so they didn't bother much).

They cut her opening credit from season 7 back in for ... whatever reason. Seems Paulsen liked it better than her wedding-dress-one from S8. Well... not much left of the whole marriage at that point anyway. :D
Although i do think Leann Hunley looks VERY hot in this S9 opening episode, better than ever! It's something about her hair and her red dress, that makes her extremly sexy there.

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Aaaaah. Finally.

I have been looking forward to this for a long time.

You can tell you're in good hands as early as the opening credits: Some of the clips have been changed, but only the ones that were horrible. Blake, Fallon, Sammy Jo, etc. The good ones remained (with the exception of Dana's, who bizarrely gets a shot of the Carrington grounds for her background. Well, I guess she's leaving, so they didn't bother much). They went in and cut out all the bad. It could stand as a metaphor for the whole series!

How thrilling is it to feel like my brain cells don't have to die to watch the show?

There was so much fun: Fallon toying with Jeff and Sammy Jo. Sammy Jo throwing champagne at Jeff. Dex and Alexis sharing some truly great scenes. For the first time in all his years, I truly enjoyed Dex: Humorous, fun... he even became sexier!

It's the kind of thing we see with so many characters: Jeff, now written more specifically as a lovable jerk. Sammy Jo, who hasn't been allowed to be nicely trashy in years. Fallon's return to form, naturally, is the most obvious example. Blake was 'altered' too... or rather, some of his earlier harshness has been reintroduced to the writing, and finally he can
breathe. I nearly died when he and Jeannette agreed that Krystle has been acting weird for years.

I love the effort to establish a strong dynamic between Fallon and Adam.

In typical, Pauls-ian fashion, Krystle's disappearance is used to introduce another story.

The only regret I have is we don't get to see Krystle get back to her real self, at least not in this episode.

NO SPOILERS please!

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You can tell you're in good hands as early as the opening credits: Some of the clips have been changed, but only the ones that were horrible. Blake, Fallon, Sammy Jo, etc.

Especially Johnny F. as Blake-- in his 9th season card, he gets out of his helicopter, runs up and stands in front of it (IIRC).

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
in his 9th season card, he gets out of his helicopter, runs up and stands in front of it

That shot is indeed very nice and fitting - although ironically it's a scene right out of dreadful season 7. :eck:
Blake was on location there for a meeting with Dex to talk about the pipeline.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That shot is indeed very nice and fitting - although ironically it's a scene right out of dreadful season 7. :eck:
Blake was on location there for a meeting with Dex to talk about the pipeline.

johnforsythedynastyseason9.jpg

Another thing I noticed is that Johnny F.'s name is in the trademark Aurora title font of O-R ABC Dynasty, but the "Starring" appellation above his name is different. Why is that?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 12652

Another thing I noticed is that Johnny F.'s name is in the trademark Aurora title font of O-R ABC Dynasty, but the "Starring" appellation above his name is different. Why is that?
It's looks like "starring" is indeed in Aurora.

The first episode or so with Beacham in S9 had her "with" in some non-Auroran font but they quickly switched it to Aurora -- but because they re-configured some of the S9 opening credits, her "with" has been non-Aurorafied yet again.

They did several "sweetening" things for the S9 DVD which were unnecessary and even negative. And that's the problem with sweetening long-after the fact: the entities running the sweetening are sometimes stupid.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I remember that Fallon’s newly-rediscovered feistiness didn’t last for long - soon she was playing victim again in the Roger Grimes plot. I did like her rivalry with Sammy Jo, but that didn’t last long either.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I remember that Fallon’s newly-rediscovered feistiness didn’t last for long - soon she was playing victim again in the Roger Grimes plot.

I disagree. Sure, she still had her victim moments, but she still had feisty moments throughout the whole season (I don't think that counts as a spoiler, right?).

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't think that counts as a spoiler, right?

Not sure... but we're definitly walking on very thin ice here already, considering he's just seen one episode so far... ;)

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I recommend JROG not read this thread, even when he's posting on it, until he's finished watching Season 9 'causes spoilers gonna spoil.

JROG

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I recommend JROG not read this thread, even when he's posting on it, until he's finished watching Season 9 'causes spoilers gonna spoil.

Thanks. That's good advice, and that's what I generally tend to do (skim posts just in case, because things always slip out).

But, of course, one can always not discuss anything beyond the episode I'm on and create their own season 9 thread if they absolutely must! LOL

JROG

LV

Reaction score
Awards
A Touch of Sable

Sable has arrived! She was so complex on THE COLBYS and there was just this way they wrote her that was utterly unique. I hope this show does her justice, because I get the sense it's not easy. I loved Alexis' line about Sable tripping on her tongue or something, and how quickly Sable got involved in messing with Alexis.

Collins always was the most free/animated of the cast, even in the worst years, but man has she been unleashed here! She looks like she's having the time of her life. I kinda hate the new hair but like little moments like when she took Dex's bow tie and put it on herself. Very sexy, very playful.

I also really like how utterly J.R.-like Adam has turned, even if I think the switch over was perhaps a little abrupt. Of course, he always had it in him, we've seen it before, and you can justify it through his loss of his wife and son. His arguments with Fallon are fun.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
A Touch of Sable

Sable has arrived! She was so complex on THE COLBYS and there was just this way they wrote her that was utterly unique. I hope this show does her justice, because I get the sense it's not easy. I loved Alexis' line about Sable tripping on her tongue or something, and how quickly Sable got involved in messing with Alexis.

Collins always was the most free/animated of the cast, even in the worst years, but man has she been unleashed here! She looks like she's having the time of her life. I kinda hate the new hair but like little moments like when she took Dex's bow tie and put it on herself. Very sexy, very playful.

I also really like how utterly J.R.-like Adam has turned, even if I think the switch over was perhaps a little abrupt. Of course, he always had it in him, we've seen it before, and you can justify it through his loss of his wife and son. His arguments with Fallon are fun.
Sable is great in season 9. Maybe not exactly the Sable from The Colbys, she's a little different, but I think I can see why she is. And she never lets up on being that fabulous diva.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sable is great in season 9. Maybe not exactly the Sable from The Colbys, she's a little different,
I'd be interested to hear how you think Sable is different. I thought so too--Sable was more vulnerable on THE COLBYS and also more of a bad schemer where things blew up on her face more than panned out. She is quite the calculating clever bitch on DYNASTY, and has a darker side than she did before, especially in the early episodes.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'd be interested to hear how you think Sable is different. I thought so too--Sable was more vulnerable on THE COLBYS and also more of a bad schemer where things blew up on her face more than panned out. She is quite the calculating clever bitch on DYNASTY, and has a darker side than she did before, especially in the early episodes.
I'll PM you as I don't want to talk much about events of Season 9 here in case of Spoilers.