LV

Reaction score
Awards

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love the above video where Joan has a laugh at herself. How weird to be re-visiting the studio where photos of Dame Joan were taken and the same staircase is there. Talk about a rush of memories flooding back.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Joan offers up some commentary through this recherché documentary about the 2011 auction of Elizabeth Taylor's unpararelled jewelry collection at Chrisite's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I enjoyed the South Bank show doc on Joan Collins, must have missed that one first time round.

What stands out is how quickly Alexis became the most famous woman character on TV, not just in the US but globally. I wonder how much influence she had on the writers/producers of the other soaps at the time? As the Dynasty ratings soared, were other shows compelled to re-tool their own cast in order to compete?

The following year we have the previously unknown Richard Channing who suddenly turns up at Falcon Crest, rich, powerful and not just after Falcon Crest, but wanting to take over the whole valley. In Knots we then had mysterious and powerful Greg Sumner arrive, and Abby not only defrauds her husband's millions, but seeks his help to build a huge tourist complex, Lotus Point. The female soap characters of other shows got more glamorous, donned shoulder pads and get bitchier, but they also became excessive in their greed and gained phenomenal business acumen at alarming speed - Sue-Ellen and Valentine Lingerie as just one example - I wonder how much of this was down to Ms Collins' impact on the soap world, and how much would have just occurred anyway - this being the 1980s? I wonder.

Last edited:

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
What stands out is how quickly Alexis became the most famous woman character on TV, not just in the US but globally. I wonder how much influence she had on the writers/producers of the other soaps at the time? As the Dynasty ratings soared, were other shows compelled to re-tool their own cast in order to compete?

I think J.R. was the archetype of the soap villain, though Alexis' arrival led other soaps to the conclusion (justified or not) that you need a villain to stay in the game.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I absolutely love her here. It's just the eye of a perfect storm. Her old Hollywood background something that never quite was what it should have been. All lost in time. Then her guest spot years of popping up on Batman and Star Trek and all those countless other shows, and then the '70s weirdy horror films and The Bitch and The Stud. And then finally... DYNASTY! And when she just looks absolutely stunning! And she knows how good the part is and she works her ass off to keep it going and make it work. Love, Love, Love it!!!

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
She's also wearing a Nolan Miller suit in that from what I can tell. I think it maybe is from Dynasty.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I absolutely love her here. It's just the eye of a perfect storm. Her old Hollywood background something that never quite was what it should have been. All lost in time. Then her guest spot years of popping up on Batman and Star Trek and all those countless other shows, and then the '70s weirdy horror films and The Bitch and The Stud. And then finally... DYNASTY! And when she just looks absolutely stunning! And she knows how good the part is and she works her ass off to keep it going and make it work. Love, Love, Love it!!!
It's melancholy, too. For the same reasons.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This is a wonderful half hour documentary encompassing Joan Collins' career. It features clips from various BBC chat shows from the 1970s threw to the 1990s. Some I had never seen before. She sounds bright, funny and witty in them all. There is even a few clips of behind the scenes of Dynasty season 7 and an interview from the filming of Adam and Dana's wedding. This little documentary has made me realise that I have always been fascinated by Joan Collins. As it's on the BBC iPlayer I think it will only work for those in the UK.
Talking Pictures - Joan Collins
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000jjr1/talking-pictures-joan-collins

Last edited:

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's interesting that Nolan Miller talks of an outfit saying it was worn by Alexis when she was raped by Dex. It was certainly rough sex but I never saw that scene as a rape...

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It's interesting that Nolan Miller talks of an outfit saying it was worn by Alexis when she was raped by Dex. It was certainly rough sex but I never saw that scene as a rape...
I never saw that as a rape scene either. I don't think Alexis protests at all and there is never anything else said about it. It was more Dynasty doing one of the bodice ripper romance-y things.