DYNASTY Videos

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's also interesting that she says they take 6 working days to shoot an episode -- the standard shooting schedule at the time for most hour long drama was seven!

Hmmmmmmmmmm......

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Linda interviewed in Spain in 1987 -- something that I noticed during the later years of the show was how Linda and Joan, even in extreme close-up, looked far better in harshly-lit TV videotaped interviews than she did on DYNASTY during that period. In fact, due to bad lighting, bad filters, and weird post-production techniques, Linda never looked worse than when she was on S6 thru S9 of DYNASTY. (Some of that's been cleared up with remastering of the later seasons, which look far better than the ruddy, fuzzy way the original broadcast prints did).

Wow, you're right! She looks so beautiful in that vid! 0_0

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's also interesting that she says they take 6 working days to shoot an episode -- the standard shooting schedule at the time for most hour long drama was seven!

Hmmmmmmmmmm......

"Hmmmmmmmmmm" indeed. Seems they were too impatient to get the episodes out. Yet another contributing factor in the declining quality.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Linda interviewed in Spain in 1987 -- something that I noticed during the later years of the show was how Linda and Joan, even in extreme close-up, looked far better in harshly-lit TV videotaped interviews than she did on DYNASTY during that period. In fact, due to bad lighting, bad filters, and weird post-production techniques, Linda never looked worse than when she was on S6 thru S9 of DYNASTY. (Some of that's been cleared up with remastering of the later seasons, which look far better than the ruddy, fuzzy way the original broadcast prints did).

Y'know, it's just so infuriating, even 30 years later, the meticulous way those morons ruined DYNASTY.

This is the second interview I've seen in the last couple of weeks from 1987 I hadn't viewed before, and in both of them, Linda concedes that the preconceived idea (the bosses had, obviously) of Krystle was indeed that of a wimp who couldn't do anything but tilt her head and say, "Darling...", pour coffee and make baby talk. (As a consolation prize, she might get to slap Alexis every couple of years).

She suggests here that her role in THE LAST FRONTIER was more the kind of thing like she'd like to play, but that such toughness just wouldn't be appropriate -- or permitted -- for Krystle.

Oh, really?? I remember watching THE LAST FRONTIER in 1986 and wondering even then why Krystle wasn't more like Evans' character in the TV movie... Obviously, you wouldn't have Krystle trying to run a kangaroo ranch in Australia on DYNASTY, but the main thing that made her character so appealing in FRONTIER was just her resilience and her clarity -- not so much what she did or even said, but how she did it.

So just why wasn't that acceptable for, or "like", Krystle?

I can remember a ~1985 interview with Eileen "Mike" Pollock, I think, when she asked the interviewer: "Do you think Krystle is boring? I think Krystle is boring" and then went on to say that Linda was "a tigress" about protecting the way she wanted to play Krystle... So just what were they trying to have Krystle do that was so interesting and would break her out of the "boring" mold?

The answer: cheat on Blake, and play her own evil twin.

And yet anything that conveyed any substance or toughness, they (not her) apparently nixed routinely.

I hate them. I just hate them!

"I wuv you, my widdle Kwysthteeeeeeeena..."

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This is a nice interview with Emma Samms, interestingly she says that she was just feeling that Fallon was who she wanted her to be in season 9. I freaking hate the Pollocks.

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This is a nice interview with Emma Samms, interestingly she says that she was just feeling that Fallon was who she wanted her to be in season 9. I freaking hate the Pollocks.
Yes. And they were already in their sixties when they were running DYNASTY, the Pollocks... Not that that's necessarily too old to produce and guide a show. But it obviously was for the Pollocks.

I wonder how or where they found Paul Huson and William Bast to run THE COLBYS. The pair was apparently told that they could "do anything you want" by the brass... And their work on THE COLBYS, though the show was flawed and lacked the same potential as the parent series, was head-and-shoulders (and on every level) over what DYNASTY was doing in the same two year period.

Why do you suppose they were given that level of control on the spin-off, while DYNASTY couldn't be wrestled from the bourgeois, grubby little talentless hands of Bob and Mike Pollock?

(I Facebook'd Ed Ledding a year ago about this, but he refused to respond about why he wasn't involved in DYNASTY after Season 2. I can only imagine the politics.).

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Diahann Carroll interview about her book and Dynasty. Loving the diva shades.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And yet anything that conveyed any substance or toughness, they (not her) apparently nixed routinely.

I hate them. I just hate them!

Y'know, I'm suddenly looking forward to the new Dynasty even more. Because the Pollocks, deBlasio and Shapiros aren't involved in it. :lol: I know not many people have a lot of confidence in the people who *are* running the new version, but I sincerely doubt they'll do a worse job.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Y'know, I'm suddenly looking forward to the new Dynasty even more. Because the Pollocks, deBlasio and Shapiros aren't involved in it. :lol: I know not many people have a lot of confidence in the people who *are* running the new version, but I sincerely doubt they'll do a worse job.
You haven't seen Season 4 of The O.C have you?

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system

But the people involved in the old version did a brilliant job at the beginning, that only changed sometime into the 3rd year.
If they hadn't been outstanding for some time, we certainly wouldn't even have this subforum "nuDynasty" now, and maybe not even the main one.
It's not enough to start it fresh with the "talents" of .. let's say Dynasty seasons 7 and 8.
They have to be brilliant like the old show in the beginning, otherwise they will go down and maybe even in a more painful way than oldDynasty did, because unlike the original, they won't be able to deliver a hell of a last redeeming season before they get cancelled.
I don't get that neccessary brilliance from the pilot clips so far, it's at most entertaining trash, but that's not enough. It wasn't then and it isn't now. You just have to be outstanding to be able to build a decent core audience for proper ratings, there is no other way, at least at the beginning. Mediocrity won't do it. But of course i'll have to see the complete pilot to judge properly, and i will when it's on. ;)

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They only seemed to understand Krystle's "goodness" coming from weakness and not coming from strength. And that requires somebody in power over the show who think more like Evans than like Alexis/Collins.

But the people involved in the old version did a brilliant job at the beginning, that only changed sometime into the 3rd year.
If they hadn't been outstanding for some time, we certainly wouldn't even have this subforum "nuDynasty" now, and maybe not even the main one.
It's not enough to start it fresh with the "talents" of .. let's say Dynasty seasons 7 and 8.
They have to be brilliant like the old show in the beginning, otherwise they will go down and maybe even in a more painful way than oldDynasty did, because unlike the original, they won't be able to deliver a hell of a last redeeming season before they get cancelled.
I don't get that neccessary brilliance from the pilot clips so far, it's at most entertaining trash, but that's not enough. It wasn't then and it isn't now. You just have to be outstanding to be able to build a decent core audience for proper ratings, there is no other way, at least at the beginning. Mediocrity won't do it. But of course i'll have to see the complete pilot to judge properly, and i will when it's on. ;)
Correct. And the casting of nuDYNASTY is unlikely to be as inspired as that of the original -- not that contemporary audiences would know that or notice. But it gives the reboot one less thing in its favor.

I've said before that the narrative competence and execution of the nuDYNASTY could easily surpass that of most of the original, but, sadly, that's a pretty low bar.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You haven't seen Season 4 of The O.C have you?

No, but I have seen Gossip Girl, and while that was a bad show, at the very least it continued to have good points about it (ie, clever twists, genuinely funny moments, great costumes, great settings, it didn't throw away their 'adult' characters like how 90210 foolishly did), even at the very end.

Hmm. Excellent points. Oh well, I still look forward to watching it. :)

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Linda Evans in THE LAST FRONTIER (1986) set in Australia and co-starring Jason Robards, Jr. -- I wish they allowed Krystle to be a wee bit more like this (although she slaps her daughter in the first minute!)

Here's SHE'LL TAKE ROMANCE (from just a year or two after DYNASTY) although there's a voiceover throughout the movie.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Linda Evans in THE LAST FRONTIER (1986) set in Australia and co-starring Jason Robards, Jr.
I bumped into Jack Thompson at the once famous OAK Milk Bar at Hexham, New South Wales. I say famous because the milk bar was positioned at a major junction point when you traveled between Sydney and Brisbane. The Milk Bar was known nationally simply because of their milkshakes. I always ordered a chocolate, double malted thick shake. To this day nothing has compared to those milkshakes. The milk bar has since closed.

Anyway. I'm standing at the counter when I heard this distinct voice. I turned and it was Jack. This was after the series, The Last Frontier had aired. While we both waited for our milkshakes I told him how much I enjoyed the The Last Frontier and since Linda Evans was at the height of her popularity playing Krystle on Dynasty I asked what she was like. He said she was the best, warm and funny and despite the challenges filming in the Aussie Outback Linda lapped it up. It probably had something to do with her training on The Big Valley.

Anyway as Jack was about to pay for his milkshake I said it's on the house. He politely refused the offer until I replied I work for the company.