• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dynasty vs Dallas

phil colby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dynasty and Falcon Crest hooked me up, excited me with nearly every single episode...Dallas was just sooo boring with useless characters like Ray Krebs, Lucy, Jack and Jamie, Clayton, Bobby, Pam etc. ..all made me sleep so well

phil colby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dallas had only three brilliant characters, played by brilliant actors: JR, Sue Ellen, Cliff Barnes and early Miss Ellie.

phil colby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In Dynasty there were sooo many outstanding: John and JJ, Linda, Joan, Al, Pam & Pam, Lee, Heather, Lloyd, Michael, William, Diahann, Billy, Catherine, Christopher, Kate, Wayne, Bo, Kathleen, Leann, Raz, Stephanie, Barbara, Charlton, ...and and and... all the Guest Stars

Luke Fuller

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Helmut was supposed to be a regular, just because he made big big problems they first reduced his character and then wrote him out as quickly as possible...VERY very quickly

Yes, Helmut Berger did not fit Dynasty (or Hollywood?) very much. But in a perverse way, I am glad that he was casted. He added some central European flavour in 1983/84 season. And his apppearences in 9 episodes are just enough. At least, he got bigger place than Lindsay.

phil colby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love Helmut Berger. He is very famous in Europo and a new documentary to his 75th birthday shows, how he really is. But in Dynasty he really had problems with the English language..

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In Dynasty there were sooo many outstanding: John and JJ, Linda, Joan, Al, Pam & Pam, Lee, Heather, Lloyd, Michael, William, Diahann, Billy, Catherine, Christopher, Kate, Wayne, Bo, Kathleen, Leann, Raz, Stephanie, Barbara, Charlton, ...and and and... all the Guest Stars

Who’s Raz?

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dynasty and Falcon Crest hooked me up, excited me with nearly every single episode...Dallas was just sooo boring with useless characters like Ray Krebs, Lucy, Jack and Jamie, Clayton, Bobby, Pam etc. ..all made me sleep so well

- Oh I liked Pam and she was so beautiful. Mandy Winger and JR´s son James were handsome, too. Angelica was a brilliant bitch and nobody could play an alcoholic like Linda Gray.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dynasty was the first prime time soap I got hooked on some years ago. I remember indulging my entire day into hours of episodes, clinging to the next move of my favorite characters. I watched it almost non-stop, and with no distractions, up until the beginning of Season 5. I think it started to lag for me around that time, and the spotty direction following the Massacre didn't help my declining interest. Since then, I've went in and out on my fascination with the show.

To answer the thread-aimed question, I believe that Dallas was consistently the better drama. The stories, the writing, the acting, etc. were all considerably better, even when it dipped directly into the soap. The characters, while not particularly trend-setting or pioneering like Alexis Colby or Steven Carrington, did find a way of being relatable to us, and I cannot say I have been displeased with any of those at the helm in any major way. I'm not fond of their decision to sideline Lucy, nor was I eager to see Barbara Bel Geddes being replaced with Donna Reed, but overall, I don't have any major complaints (that I can remember, anyway) right off the top of me head.

Here, Dallas wins. And wins big.

Laurie Marr

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dallas drew upon so many myths and archetypes ( Cain and Abel, star crossed lovers, etc) that its backstory gave it the weight of myth (at least during its peak). Dynasty had the banishing of Alexis as the revenge motif, but it was alway more Sirk than Shakespeare. From the outset Dallas was much more rich in context.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dallas drew upon so many myths and archetypes ( Cain and Abel, star crossed lovers, etc) that its backstory gave it the weight of myth (at least during its peak).

That star-crossed lovers theme has been referenced from the beginning even by Jacobs, but I never got the Cain/Abel vibe from Dallas. I never really thought J.R. and Bobby hated each other (even if they hated each other's actions often) or could kill each other.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dallas drew upon so many myths and archetypes ( Cain and Abel, star crossed lovers, etc) that its backstory gave it the weight of myth (at least during its peak). Dynasty had the banishing of Alexis as the revenge motif, but it was always more Sirk than Shakespeare. From the outset Dallas was much more rich in context.
And THE WIZARD OF OZ --- Glinda the Good Witch versus The Wicked Witch of the West... Who knew Kirby (the pigtails) was the star of DYNASTY?

The first couple of seasons really were pretty decent. But DYNASTY's show-runners seemed only interested in the "success" their program generated rather than the characters who inhabited it.

Obviously, DALLAS' bosses cared a lot about their characters.

That star-crossed lovers theme has been referenced from the beginning even by Jacobs, but I never got the Cain/Abel vibe from Dallas. I never really thought J.R. and Bobby hated each other (even if they hated each other's actions often) or could kill each other.

And Romeo & Juliet, obviously.