• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Ellis Island.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It originally aired on CBS. I remember watching it and liking it, though it would hardly be mistaken for a documentary.

My sister used to refer to that actress as"Faye Dummy-way". I would never say such a thing, for fear of getting hit with a wire coat-hanger.:eek:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It originally aired on CBS. I remember watching it and liking it, though it would hardly be mistaken for a documentary.

My sister used to refer to that actress as"Faye Dummy-way". I would never say such a thing, for fear of getting hit with a wire coat-hanger.:eek:
My mum once called her Faye Demi-Wave.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
May your days be many and totally un-glamorous.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I must check this out. I'm fascinated by Faye's 80's work. After her golden decade in the 70's, her work in the 80's was pretty random. Going from winning an Oscar for Network to starring in TV movie trash like Beverly Hills Madam in the space of ten years is an interesting career trajectory. Has anyone seen her Evita TV movie from the early 80's?

K

Karin Schill

Nope I haven't seen her Evita movie. But it sound fascinating. Whenever I think of Evita and movie I think of the one with Madonna, which I watched at the cinema when it first came out. :)

I really enjoyed Ellis Island. Also a bit of trivia, Richard Burton's real life daughter Kate co-starred as his daughter in the mini-series. :)

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone seen her Evita TV movie from the early 80's?
Yes, and I remember liking it.

Obviously Faye was meant to be a Prime Time Soap Queen, but only as the lead of her own show.
Ah, one of the biggest missed opportunities in the history of television.

I'm surprised Ellis Island was the only Fred Mustard Stewart novel that was made for television.
All his novels - apart from the first ones, those were thrillers - are glamorous, soap-y historical dramas. Lots of fabulous villains, beautiful mansions, wicked tragedies and big companies and he liked to describe the outfits and interiors and that kind of stuff.

Soaplover

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
From what I recall from reading.. Faye had a newborn and fell in love so she moved to England for a few years in the early 80s.. and her movie career never recovered. Quite honestly, television has always been a better medium for actresses then movies so it made sense that she did a slew of tv movies in the 80s with varying levels of success.

I have heard that Faye got a Golden Globe for this mini-series as well ( I still remember her villianess turn in SuperGirl LOL)