Empire Season 4

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's a shame that people aren't talking about this show, because it's still soapy.

So, Luscious lost his right leg in the explosion besides having amnesia. Mama Cocopuffs has gone to the nest. Anika is really pointless. Just murder her already.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I missed the first episode because it's now on an hour earlier. Saw this week's show though.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm going to guess that Rhonda's death might finally come into play now that Anika's coming for sole custody of Bella?

A murder trial would be... delicious.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
OH SHIT.

Demi Moore just went full-on Misery on poor "Dwight".

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I actually think EMPIRE is beginning to relax now and is gaining focus. The family-wide rivalry with Mrs Huxtable (whom I believe much more on this show that I ever did as Cosby's wife) is almost crackling.

At any rate, I've seen real improvement in the show as Season 4 has progressed. I just hope it can last.

BTW: and did the party Cookie and Lucius crashed remind anyone of a much-better executed version of Ye Olde Anglish Faiiyyyyre from S8 of DYNASTY?

Last edited by a moderator:

Edie70

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I gave up on this show back in April or May of 2016, somewhere towards the end of the second season. It felt like the writers kept recycling the same old plots over and over again. Did things improve?

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My guess about the coffin "twist": Andre needs a new heart now after he's recovered after the quickest chemo on this side of Amanda Woodward - since they conveniently have a new half brother I'm guessing Lucious will kill him to save Andre. Though this would still be the perfect opportunity to kill off Jamal...

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wow...

So, I was basically right, except Kingsley offed himself. A bit of a lame "twist" - what was the point of introducing Kingsley again?

Giselle and Becky starting their own label? It's an ok story I guess, but it'll just be bought up by Empire or something by the end of next season.

So Cookie and Lucious break up... again?

I honestly would've been fine with the show ending at this point. It didn't feel like a major cliffhanger or anything.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I've missed the last three episodes. The show is so dank and repetitive that I've lost interest --- Jussie's scandal didn't cause my reaction but it didn't stop it either.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I've missed the last three episodes. The show is so dank and repetitive that I've lost interest --- Jussie's scandal didn't cause my reaction but it didn't stop it either.

Season 5A was fine but for whatever reason it just fell off a cliff when it returned from a break and that had nothing to do with the Jussie scandal as it didn't happen until they were filming episode 15/16. What on earth does Hakeem even do on the show these days anyway? I think he's barely been in any scenes since it returned. I'm not sure how season 6 is going to play out to be honest, but at this point I feel like I can just hang on until the end anyway...

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve been watching Empire on iTunes/Apple TV/whatever they’re calling it this week, and that comes with all the bitch ass subtitles.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've watched the first fake-ass DVD disc and it's very very good.
"He's got amnesia, like in a soap opera", says vengeful villainess Clair Huxtable.

But the amnesia takes Lucious out of the soap opera, as he's trying to understand what kind of man he used to be.
They're walking a tightrope with this storyline as there are so many things that could ruin it (boring or ridiculous or mushy) but most of it is interesting or endearingly funny.
Lucious' nurse is played by Demi Moore, I guess she's the new generation of special guest stars, thus taking over from the Claudette Colberts and Zsa Zsa Gabors.

Cookie has a completely different hairdo in every scene, Hakeem is still full of energy and Andre strips on the balcony because sexy female detective is watching him.
Bella celebrates her first birthday with a Prince-themed party.
1617420759764.png

And then the embittered and vengeful Angelo DuBois shows up and ruins everything. Hippity hop, hurrah!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The big question is: when and how will Lucious regain his memory? It would be interesting if a soap character would change because of his/her amnesia and then never go back, but of course that's not going to work for a character like Lucious Lyon. Both EMPIRE and Empire are nothing without him.
So, is it going to be a traumatic event or a loved-one-in-peril that's going to shock him into realization?
No, Empire continues its art theme by means of paint, because the music and colours are explained as synaesthesia.
1617746394740.png

It's really cleverly and tastefully done, with the little twist that Claudia reads too much into their breakthrough.
Lucious sends Demi Moore packing - thank you and goodbye - and that's the end of it. Is it?

In the meantime, a legendary producer/friend of the family played by Forest Whitaker is about to save the day at the Board of Empire, but how does Cookie feel about that now Dwight has been re-reverted to Lucious? Is he going to be dismissed, like Claudia?

Furthermore, it's becoming clear that the DuBois clan isn't such a cosy bunch at all. They are Empire's answer to the Rylands from DALLAS.
I liked Angelo as the good guy but he's even better as the nasty political has-been.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Imaginary Pamela reminds me of NuDynasty's imaginary Matthew (but Empire did it first).
At first I thought Cookie was faking it, that she pretended not to see Pamela's body and then explain it as a side effect of Andre's medication.
But Pamela has never been there or anywhere at all, it's all about Andre's guilt because of the bomb. He wanted to be caught.
To be honest I had almost forgotten about it, well maybe not forgotten but I wasn't sure if it would become a thing.
Episode 8 was another cracker, Empire keeps giving and giving.

The strike in the previous episode seemed a little half-baked and I think the hacking storyline is the closest Empire got to a physical threat towards the company.
Sneaky and hostile takeovers are always fun, of course.
What's going to happen next, I don't know. So exciting!

p.s. I want to put Hakeem in a little box and take him home with me. And when I need some energy I just open the box and let him out.
(or is that a bad thing to say?)

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Imaginary Pamela reminds me of NuDynasty's imaginary Matthew (but Empire did it first).
Isn't Ghost/Imaginary Rhonda more like Imaginary Matthew? I mean, Imaginary Pamela was entirely made up in André's mind unlike Rhonda.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's true that Rhonda and Matthew had been real characters, but in the case of Rhonda it missed the element of surprise. Tacky dynasty totally stole this idea from empire. Obviously

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
and did the party Cookie and Lucius crashed remind anyone of a much-better executed version of Ye Olde Anglish Faiiyyyyre from S8 of DYNASTY?
Yes, but at the same time I'm sad that Diana's game is over. I wanted that war to become bigger and bigger.

Hakeem is compassionate enough to allow Anika to be part of Bella's life, even though she doesn't deserve it. But I find it difficult to dislike her because she's so lovely and elegant when she's not killing or kidnapping babies.
Demi Moore just went full-on Misery on poor "Dwight".
It was another double whammy cliff hanger. First, Andre's half-conscious confession, immediately followed by the needle in Lucious' neck.
There's always something going on in Empire!