Erratic forum performance.

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My main issue is that EVERY NIGHT around 8, 8:30 EST, the forum goes down, I can no longer access. It last for several hours. I originally thought it was coincidence but it's been happening regularly for weeks now. Is there some scheduled maintenance or whatever happening at that time? Any others in Eastern USA experiencing the same problem? Because those peak hours are a REALLY bad time for the forum not to be working.... @Ome

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Yes, here too, almost every day i try at that time. Reminds me of that infamous "Database error screen" that came up regulary some years ago.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
My main issue is that EVERY NIGHT around 8, 8:30 EST, the forum goes down,

I wasn't aware it was happening every night.

I have been emailing the owner each time it goes down, that I'm aware of. In recent weeks it's gone down on 23/12, 25/12 & 29/12.
He doesn't always get back to me, but when he does he believes what he's doing will prevent it from happening again. Then it happens again.

I wish I could tell you more, but my hands are tied.

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I have been emailing the owner each time it goes down, that I'm aware of. In recent weeks it's gone down on 23/12, 25/12 & 29/12.
He doesn't always get back to me, but when he does he believes what he's doing will prevent it from happening again. Then it happens again.

Thanks, Ome!

Ironically enough, I think it's been fine the last couple of nights since I posted this. Hopefully it's been fixed.

Happy New Year! :)

K

Karin Schill

Happy New Year. :)

Thanks Ome. I've noticed that the board keeps going down during the night too. Of course I'm mostly asleep then but when I sign on first thing in the mornings sometimes it's not working either.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I tried to come on at around 2:30 this morning and the site wasn't having it. I kept getting a message that the site was taking too long to respond.

Probably just as well, as I was already up way past my bedtime.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I have been emailing the owner each time it goes down, that I'm aware of.

And... for what reasons exactly do we need that "owner" for? Are we his serfs? :re:
A forum of the size and traffic amount that soapchat has now costs about 5 Euro a month, inclusive hosting service, at least here in Germany.
I pay that if noone else will, and then let's open or move it again to a good hoster like StratoGermany, where it's not down 1/4 of the time!

I wanted to post something for newyear, it was down until 6 in the morning and then i fell asleep. That can't be the purpose of a forum.

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I normally am online more at night myself and find it hard to post a lot of the time with that error message always popping up.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And... for what reasons exactly do we need that "owner" for? Are we his serfs? :re:
A forum of the size and traffic amount that soapchat has now costs about 5 Euro a month, inclusive hosting service, at least here in Germany.
I pay that if noone else will, and then let's open or move it again to a good hoster like StratoGermany, where it's not down 1/4 of the time!

I wanted to post something for newyear, it was down until 6 in the morning and then i fell asleep. That can't be the purpose of a forum.

The reason for the issue is that the forum was downgraded after the data loss but despite not having a huge archive of data we are still getting hit with traffic via Google. So the answer is to upgrade which will happen when everyone is back at work this week.

Ms Southworth

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
How come the whole website was down for more than 12 hours? :(

And it looks like the website's "performance" has been unstable before! What's the reason this time?

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The decentral structure of the internets.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It goes down between midnight and 1am (or thereabouts) GMT every night.

That's about 4 or 5 pm my (California) time and I haven't had any problems getting on at that time for the past few weeks, other than Jan 27. I wonder what could be causing the issue for you? The site was going down somewhat regularly for a while, but that hasn't seemed to be the issue since early January, with the exception of Jan. 27--at least as far as I've noticed.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
2:03 AM sharp, there's a hiccup, but not always for a long time. I think it has something to do with the rotation of the earth.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am a member of another forum and I noticed that they often have appeals for funding of the site. They have set up the ability to pay a donation regularly to the site to help cover costs of running it. I'm just wondering what the costs are for running a site like this? I remember when I first joined you could donate here but I haven't seen anything like that in ages.

Cookiescholes

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
That's about 4 or 5 pm my (California) time and I haven't had any problems getting on at that time for the past few weeks, other than Jan 27. I wonder what could be causing the issue for you? The site was going down somewhat regularly for a while, but that hasn't seemed to be the issue since early January, with the exception of Jan. 27--at least as far as I've noticed.
Maybe it has been fixed. I haven't tried to come on at that time for the past week or two but it was a pretty consistent problem throughout January.

Ms Southworth

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've been having problems logging on the Board at certain time slots of the day!

No messages ever pops up, so I don't have a clue as to what the problem is!

Has anyone else experienced this problem for the past week or so?

Last edited: