• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Eurovision Song Contest

hatayas

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Sadly, Israel is as safe as anywhere else in the world these days..

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
So apparently here is the entry to beat this year, from the Netherlands:

I like it, not enough to buy it, but I like the singers voice.

Here is the UK's entry ....

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like it, not enough to buy it, but I like the singers voice.
Here is the UK's entry ....

Unless some freaky entry blows my theory, I don't expect the UK to ever win this contest again. All of the other countries are producing replicas of British pop, usually sang in (often accented) English. Every UK entry is too much an indictment of what impostors other entries are for their countries to vote for it. It is psychology 101. The last time the UK won was in 1997, when there was still the rule that countries must sing in a national language. That rule was lifted in 1999.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Did someone mention impostors?:dance:

I just finished my Eurovision YouTube binge so it's still fresh in my head, and oh my God, what a bunch! Lots of hot guys this year, and that was the good news.

The Worst:
Albania (diva phoenix rising in the flames stuff - it's pure torment!)
Moldova (the obligatory power ballad - PUKE!!)
North Macedonia (a godawful, anguished pride song - incidentally, is there also a South Macedonia?)
Australia (shame on you!! - and the huge dress has been done sooooooo many times before!)
Portugal (but I think the show needs an act like this)
Croatia (so BAD it's almost good. Almost!)
Belgium (I don't remember why. But it's awful!)

Interesting:
Germany (it doesn't really work but in essence it's kind of creative and original)
Denmark (Lilly Allen dressed like HEIDI)
Cyprus (if you're going to copy someone you may as well copy the queen of pop aka Lady Gaga)
Norway (super-catchy, but in terms of silliness they really pushed the envelope here)

The Best (in no particular order):
Azerbaijan (hipster hunk alert)
Czech Republic (it's "Justin Timberlake" cool)
Hungary (very nice, but not cool enough to win, I'm afraid)
San Marino (Right Said Fred meets Sesame Street, but I think it's a strong candidate. If it wins we'll find out where this country is located)

And everything else is unremarkable rubbish.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just finished my Eurovision YouTube binge so it's still fresh in my head, and oh my God, what a bunch! Lots of hot guys this year, and that was the good news.

I still have that on my to-do list. I was going to do it this past weekend, and then there was a Downton Abbey emergency--i.e., I wanted to watch the first series of Downton Abbey again.

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Did someone mention impostors?:dance:

The Worst:
Albania (diva phoenix rising in the flames stuff - it's pure torment!)
Moldova (the obligatory power ballad - PUKE!!)
North Macedonia (a godawful, anguished pride song - incidentally, is there also a South Macedonia?)
Australia (shame on you!! - and the huge dress has been done sooooooo many times before!)
Portugal (but I think the show needs an act like this)
Croatia (so BAD it's almost good. Almost!)
Belgium (I don't remember why. But it's awful!)

Interesting:
Germany (it doesn't really work but in essence it's kind of creative and original)
Denmark (Lilly Allen dressed like HEIDI)
Cyprus (if you're going to copy someone you may as well copy the queen of pop aka Lady Gaga)
Norway (super-catchy, but in terms of silliness they really pushed the envelope here)

The Best (in no particular order):
Azerbaijan (hipster hunk alert)
Czech Republic (it's "Justin Timberlake" cool)
Hungary (very nice, but not cool enough to win, I'm afraid)
San Marino (Right Said Fred meets Sesame Street, but I think it's a strong candidate. If it wins we'll find out where this country is located).
Your dedication to the cause is admirable Willie, I've loved reading your review and (more importantly) you've saved me having to sit through the whole show. You would make an excellent TV commentator for this :bravo1:

(shame on you!! - and the huge dress has been done sooooooo many times before!)
(Lilly Allen dressed like HEIDI)
(hipster hunk alert)
(Right Said Fred meets Sesame Street, but I think it's a strong candidate. If it wins we'll find out where this country is located)
And everything else is unremarkable rubbish.
:haha::haha::haha:

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And tonight the second half of the semi-finals, so i can not make my top 10 list before tomorrow, butt his time i have to say I'm going put the Netherlands on #1. ;)

And twelve points goes to the Netherlands :dance:

K

Karin Schill

San Marino (Right Said Fred meets Sesame Street, but I think it's a strong candidate. If it wins we'll find out where this country is located)

Lol you don't know where it is?
I have visited it. :)
It is a tiny country in northern Italy. Close to the same coast as Venice.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So apparently here is the entry to beat this year, from the Netherlands:

Adding to what I said back in April: . The song has double the YouTube views of the next popular Eurovision song (Switzerland--which I really like). I believe The Netherlands will win the televoting. However, those committees like to play havoc with the popular vote and mess up the result--the most famous (or infamous) such instance is in 2015 when Italy's #1 in the people's votes lost to Sweden. In televoting Sweden was #3, but in the juries it was #1 while Italy was #6.

Sweden

Italy

Måns Zelmerlöw or Gianluca Ginoble? These are great dilemmas to have...:p

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Adding to what I said back in April: . The song has double the YouTube views of the next popular Eurovision song
The video, yes.
But it's a slimy "oh! hear my voice expressing emotional suffering" song.

Just grab that mic a sing me song dammit, I don't care how perfect it sounds.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

When I was going to grad school in the US, I was subjected to a myriad of those from stations devoted to "maudlin ditties for today's emo," aka college radio. They are always wide-spread among the ages that believe they are experiencing situations nobody on the planet has ever experienced before: having their first illusion of a monogamous relationship shattered, encountering the necessity of working for a living, finding out the universe does not revolve around them, etc. Since so many of the age group watch, vote, and breathe the contest during Eurovision week, I am not surprised to find it in the selections. At least the guy singing it is easy on the eyes.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The video, yes.

Just grab that mic a sing me song dammit, I don't care how perfect it sounds.
Yes, nudity sells! However, it is a good song and is sure to do well.

It annoys me when people say the UK get few votes because of political voting when the true reason is because our songs are almost always dire. When you compare the Netherlands song with the one from the UK it's like comparing The Rolling Stones original version of Wild Horses with the crap Susan Boyle cover.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Why are Australia in this remind me again?!
The contest is very popular in Australia so to celebrate its 60 anniversary they invited them to take part. They did very well and the audience for the contest in Australia soared so Eurovision struck a deal with the Australian broadcaster that they (Australia) would pay a large sum of money each year to continue to take part.