• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Ewing recreation

Herofan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
With summer coming on and people already talking about vacations and heading to the lake all the time, I realized that the Ewing’s didn’t do much vacationing or recreation in general. I’m sure there were exceptions, but it certainly was never a focus. It seems like that is a big thing in people’s lives these days.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was always bewildered why the Ewing family never celebrated events like Christmas. Much like they never acknowledge religion or religious views. I've always been curious why this was. Despite all the weddings, JR and Sue Ellen in particular, I don't believe anyone ever married in a Church. I remember well the story of Sue Ellen and Pam going to Hong Kong and Bobby and April in Europe.

That said. If I owned a property like Southfork I'd rarely go away. The wide open spaces, the pool and horse riding would be enough to fulfill my days.

Herofan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was always bewildered why the Ewing family never celebrated events like Christmas. Much like they never acknowledge religion or religious views. I've always been curious why this was. Despite all the weddings, JR and Sue Ellen in particular, I don't believe anyone ever married in a Church. I remember well the story of Sue Ellen and Pam going to Hong Kong and Bobby and April in Europe.

That said. If I owned a property like Southfork I'd rarely go away. The wide open spaces, the pool and horse riding would be enough to fulfill my days.

The lack of recognition of any cultural norms got my attention too. I believe I remember JR once mentioning a watch that Sue Ellen got him for Christmas, but I believe that was it. I can’t recall any mention of popular music they liked, any holiday, or anything of that nature, and aside from one of the first five episodes, it was always summer. I believe Southfork decorated for Christmas with a big tree would have been nice.

As for not going away if you owned a property like Southfork, I agree with that a hundred percent, but a lot of people like to use their riches for Yachts and such, but the Ewing’s just seemed to enjoy making money fo the sake of making it and not necessarily to spend it.

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The lack of recognition of any cultural norms got my attention too. I believe I remember JR once mentioning a watch that Sue Ellen got him for Christmas, but I believe that was it. I can’t recall any mention of popular music they liked, any holiday, or anything of that nature, and aside from one of the first five episodes, it was always summer. I believe Southfork decorated for Christmas with a big tree would have been nice.

As for not going away if you owned a property like Southfork, I agree with that a hundred percent, but a lot of people like to use their riches for Yachts and such, but the Ewing’s just seemed to enjoy making money fo the sake of making it and not necessarily to spend it.

Lucy did mention Elton John once.

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One thing you guys have to realize. Dallas was a nighttime soap. They only have between 20-25 episodes to tell their story unlike a daytime soap. They really don’t have the time for holidays and vacation episodes.

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One thing you guys have to realize. Dallas was a nighttime soap. They only have between 20-25 episodes to tell their story unlike a daytime soap. They really don’t have the time for holidays and vacation episodes.

Dove Hunt was a vacation and it was exciting. But they don't have time to go invocations where they all just relax. Watching them drink pina coladas on a tropical beach isn't gonna be riveting television. Unless Pam goes to a topless beach in some island like St. Martens but I don't think Victoria Principal would ever do that. She was a prude when it came to those types of things. She never even once wore a bikini on Dallas! If you've got it, flaunt it. Did she do all that work on her body just to hide it? Maybe she just did it so she could look at herself and admire herself. Typical narcissist.

Holidays are a different matter. Imagine a Ewing New Year's Eve Party! I'd have enjoyed seeing that!

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Bobby and JR played racquetball in one of the early episodes, various family members rode horses for fun (not work) and occasionally we saw ice skating/rollerskating scenes. They also had an episode where they went to a water park when (season 8?).

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I have a (rather hilarious) fantasy, but a fantasy all the same, of them all playing American football on the Southfork lawn - men against women.

JR and Sue Ellen will of course occasionally fall on top of one another just to please me, Lucy will be running through everyone like a little pocket rocket and Miss Ellie and Clayton will be cheering everyone on, with Clayton as referee while Ray pulls his shirt off in anger.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Lucy did mention Elton John once.

And Sue Ellen did sing a Barbra Streisand song ("People"), or tried to, in Episode 4. Cliff loved "Bambi", and Sue Ellen did love classical music, as hinted in the episode where she agreed to marry J.R. again (they had been at a Dallas Symphony Orchestra concert). Oh and have you all forgotten how much Lucy loved "The Coffins"?

:danc::danc::danc::danc::danc::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::danc::danc::danc:

Last edited:

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

In the early seasons, they liked to show the Ewings doing things that were trendy at the time - backgammon, racquetball and tennis... disco!

as far as pop culture, they didn’t reference it often, but when they did, they sure made it count, as in this glorious utterance of a disgusted JR: "Next thing you know, that actress is gonna be Farrah Fawcett-Guzzler!"

Last edited:

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh and have you all forgotten how much Lucy loved "The Coffins"?

Ha ha, I do remember that. AS far as I know they were just a fictional local rock band. With all their money, Lucy should have been asking they hire Van Halen to play at her birthday party :)

Herofan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ironically, I’m watching and episode from season 11, and Bobby and a lady senator went to a bar and “Looking For Love” by Johnny Lee was playing, and there were pictures of Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Marty Robbins.