Fallon/Randal

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's in season 5 that it was said that Alexis visited Roger Grimes in the hospital. Blake forgave Alexis for her affair with Grimes but three months after he found out that she visited Grimes at Grimes at the hospital and assumed she had pursued their affair so he banished her for good.

These details were created to make us sure that Roger Grimes could not be Amanda's father.

The Colbys existed in a universe different from Dynasty
That's just your theory. But I doubt this how the Shapiros and The Pollock envisioned it.
There are a lot of discrepancies within "Dynasty" itself and I don't think we can say that season 9 exists in a different universe that season 5 for instance.

Last edited:

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's just your theory. But I doubt this how the Shapiros and The Pollock envisioned it.
There are a lot of discrepancies within "Dynasty" itself and I don't think we can say that season 9 exists in a different universe that season 5 for instance.
I'd be interested to know if Bast and Huson envisioned the same as the Shapiros and Pollocks.

I think the Shapiros and Pollocks wanted to create the illusion of a same universe as a marketing ploy: Dynasty's ad claim to having the largest TV cast of notables in one show comes to mind. (Never mind that it thought Claire Yarlett was a notable but acting awards nominee Joseph Campanella apparently wasn't; or that Katharine Ross never appeared on Dynasty.)

But it being the same universe for both shows should be hard to believe since the first episode of TC itself has some key fundamentals of the 'same' story different on either show. For instance, Jason is still waiting for his doctor to give him word on a second medical opinion (which he gets on Thanksgiving Day if I recall correctly), whereas on Dynasty Jason has already received it along with a third medical opinion at the same time.
Or, for instance, on Dynasty Jason & family arrive in Denver where the pipeline deal is about to be signed vs Jason & family on TC arriving home on ostensibly the return trip but the pipeline deal is clearly more advanced as Jason's people are already in talks with the port authorities. (Also Garret Boydston was with them when they arrived home, whereas on Dynasty, he was still in Denver, visiting Dominique.)
Or, for instance, on TC, Colby Enterprises is a company Jason inherited, and there is a whole scene where he explains to Jeff the beginnings of CE. Contrast that with Blake of S6 explaining to Krystle (in reality Rita) that CE was jointly founded by Jason and Connie.
Or, how about Jeff of Season 6 Dynasty saying he last saw his uncle Jason 11 very precise years ago while Jason on S1 of The Colbys hadn't seen Jeff for more than 20 years. You may put all this down to mere discrepancies (like how many years Jason and Sable had been married in each season of TC, or who built the Colbys' family home, Jason's dad or grandad) I can't. I have too much respect for the work of William Bast.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's in season 5 that it was said that Alexis visited Roger Grimes in the hospital. Blake forgave Alexis for her affair with Grimes but three months after he found out that she visited Grimes at Grimes at the hospital and assumed she had pursued their affair so he banished her for good.

These details were created to make us sure that Roger Grimes could not be Amanda's father.

And it was ridiculous--as was the whole revisionist history of the reconciliation after Blake found Alexis in bed with Grimes and banished her.If he were so furious he crippled Grimes, it would make sense he would cast Alexis out on the spot. But then he takes her back, has sex with her in the same bed he found her with Grimes, and when three months later she visits in the hospital the man he put there , he sends her away again?
But as for the paternity, why did the show want to take potential conflict away? Makes no sense--but makes DYNASTY sense.

Last edited:

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Do you know which season/episode that was?
I ask because that is also info that's rattling around somewhere in my skull, just that I can't recall where it came from: did I actually learn this from an episode of Dynasty or did I read something (false?) online and tucked it away.

I hope I'm not wrong. I hope my memory is not faking it lol. It's been so long since I watched the show.
I'm not sure for the hospital part. But I think that Alexis said she did visit a dying Roger Grimes.

EDIT : I have just read this (it answers to your question. And now I am relieved that my memory is not that crappy lol)

Thanks again.

Yes, he wasn't the only one to come up with an alternate universe theory. Mine was 99% a joke, saying that each time a character is recasted, we slip in an alternate universe.

But I agree, I'm 100 % that The Colbys and Dynasty was set in the same and only universe.

Last edited:

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They shared the same universe because Blake was ill from Rita’s poison in the Colbys and Fallon told Alexis not to come to her wedding because of her harassment of Blake.

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But I think that Alexis said she did visit a dying Roger Grimes. .... EDIT : I have just read this (it answers to your question.
It's in season 5 that it was said that Alexis visited Roger Grimes in the hospital.
Thanks, both of you for your responses. Glad to know that that story of a hospital visit to a badly crippled Roger wasn't a figment of my imagination.

I don't recall if Alexis did indeed say RG was dying. I want to know if she actually did and to whom. I look forward to hearing from someone on that.

If Alexis did say that, then what Paulsen did in S9 was to rewrite/have rewritten the Roger Grimes-Alexis story to his specification and not turn to the established backstory canvas on this, assorted as it was, to capitalise on the blanks.

I actually have no quarrel with Paulsen writing up or okaying the one-night stand Dynasty's Jason had with Alexis during his marriage because that was consistent with how Dynasty had portrayed Jason in S6. If I recall correctly, Blake told RitaKystle words to the effect that Jason had a roving eye and the panther-like Sable knew more than she let on.

Would you agree that the inconsistency – having an Alexis say in S5 that she'd visited a badly crippled (and dying?) Roger in hospital and an Alexis say in S9 that she'd thought Roger had left town – plus the building of a whole season's worth of storytelling around the 'truth' of Roger Grimes (now elevated in profession to architect) is one that bigly altered the reality and time of earlier seasons to create a different place?

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm 100 % that The Colbys and Dynasty was set in the same and only universe.

If that were true, then shouldn’t also Jason of The Colbys have displayed his roving eye more obviously throughout the many years of his long marriage & why was the story of his one-night stand with his sister-in-law placed in the timeline before him meeting Sable/his own marriage?

If that were true, why didn’t the panther-like Sable know, just know, that when Jason twice insisted that he had never been unfaithful to her in their marriage that he was lying both times and surely that was the time to confront him with what she knew? Why did the story on TC not go on the lines that Sable did in fact guess/know long before the courthouse hearing that Jeff was his son?

If that were true, why would a woman capable of keeping the anger and distress of a rape secret for decades from all the family members & staff living under her roof (for reasons later stated on Dynasty) should have raged against her husband on The Colbys after the courthouse hearing and on their anniversary party and simply kept doing things to alienate him?

If that were true, what made Jason change 360 degrees from being the good father on The Colbys who believed (a) in not punishing his wife and (b) in adoption and who encouraged Miles to adopt and (c) never wanted Monica to stop calling him Daddy to being the bad father and vengeful man on Dynasty? The guy couldn’t even bring himself to use the bullwhip on his brother.

How did Jeff go from getting his initial wealth from an inheritance from Cecil to getting his initial wealth from an inheritance from Connie?

Lo, perish the thought that these are mere discrepancies and inconsistencies in stories set in the same universe. *sticks tongue out* (Why aren't the smiley icons working when you want them to? Bad internet connection?)

Last edited:

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think the “same and only universe notion” has given rise to a cadre of Dynasty fans taking it as license to do a disservice to the established facts of The Colbys series as aired; by appropriating what they want from the series, adding to it the Dynasty-inspired extraneous facts and garbage non-facts from whatever sources to establish the one simplistic profile of a character.

Example: Extract from the Sable Colby profile on a dynastywiki page:

Sable married Jason Colby, her sister's brother-in-law and a man twenty years her senior, in 1957. Shortly after their marriage, an unknown assailant raped Sable and impregnated her. Sable was afraid to reveal to Jason that the twins Miles and Monica, who were born in 1958, were most likely not his biological children. In 1965, Sable gave birth to a third child, Bliss, but Miles was always her favorite. Sable got interested in art, languages and life-style, became involved in the usual rich-wife's charity works and founded the Colby Collection in honor of Jason."

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They shared the same universe because Blake was ill from Rita’s poison in the Colbys and Fallon told Alexis not to come to her wedding because of her harassment of Blake.

I’m not trying to disprove your “same universe” belief, but just saying…. We could choose to infer it was Rita’s poisoning of Blake on Dynasty that was causing Blake to appear ill in front of Jason on The Colbys but we can’t say for certain it was for the same reason. I remember Fallon speaking to Alexis on the phone on her wedding day but I forget the conversation, and how she found out that Alexis was harassing Blake, and over what.

Allow me to say this too….

I don’t buy the notion that a person can exist in an altered reality while living as a flesh and blood human on this earth and still claim to experience the very same universe as the next person who doesn’t experience altered reality.
….I know of a medical intuitive who can tell you what your body says is the cause of what’s wrong with you, and her information has held up to what medical tests show. She drives and can cover distances in much less time than her family members under the same conditions; and she can hear the water in her neighbour’s pipes and knows exactly when they have a plumping problem on their hands. I don’t believe she lives in the same universe as the rest of us. Not even when she picks up the phone to speak to a relative about family or business matters that is of a shared concern.

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But I doubt this how the Shapiros and The Pollock envisioned it.
Given that Dynasty was developed first, I image that for The Colbys the S&Ps envisioned a series that served as a female’s fantasy of an altered reality. Perhaps @Angel Gabriel could be good enough to dig up from his archives that magazine or news article which reported Esther Shapiro talking about the split cliff-hanger ending (or some such) to Dynasty’s The Titans episode that seemed to imply that was what TC was about. I don't exactly remember because I didn't understand what was meant by what was written.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
At the time Jeff and Fallon has their wedding on the Colbys, it was at the time Alexis and Ben were coming at Blake on Dynasty. We all know Fallon had to tell Alexis not to come because Collins refused to appear on the Colbys.

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We all know Fallon had to tell Alexis not to come because Collins refused to appear on the Colbys.
It seems to me that the show dealt with it by having Blake tell Jason that Krystle and Alexis were fog-bound; they couldn't get a flight to come over.
Which sequed neatly into a plot development, with Blake trapping himself (and Steven) with that remark, because it gave Jason the opportunity to let Blake know that he knew the reason why Blake and Steven had been able to make the wedding: they had actually arrived in LA a day earlier, stayed in Dominique's hotel and had 'secretly' met with Zack Powers to do a deal.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That, too. That had to explain why Krystle/Rita wasn’t there (since Linda Evans refused to appear on the show, as well). Fallon DEF has a scene in which she told Alexis to stay away. Alexis could easily have trumped the fog in a private jet - because she’s Alexis......

They had Adam and Steven there, so I def would have had Amanda there, also (granted, they never had met onscreen yet and we never would see them meet, just their bizarre three-minute Season 07 interaction).

Last edited:

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks, both of you for your responses. Glad to know that that story of a hospital visit to a badly crippled Roger wasn't a figment of my imagination.

I don't recall if Alexis did indeed say RG was dying. I want to know if she actually did and to whom. I look forward to hearing from someone on that.

I don't know. When I was a teen, I watched it in french language version, and believe me, sometimes, the translation were... weird. It's something I realized years later when I watched some videos on youtube, in english.
So I wouldn't be surprised if they translate "crippled" into "mourant" in french (it means "dying")

After all, they translated the famous "Steven is gay" by "Steven est malade" (meaning "Steven is sick"). So everything is possible.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We could choose to infer it was Rita’s poisoning of Blake on Dynasty that was causing Blake to appear ill in front of Jason on The Colbys but we can’t say for certain it was for the same reason
Yeah...but it's tempting to think that they cared enough to have that character portrayed in the same condition. Just in case someone was watching both series.
After all, they translated the famous "Steven is gay" by "Steven est malade"
Was "gay" too dirty for France?

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Nothing was said in season 5 about Grimes dying. Which is not surprising since in season 2 he was said he died in 1980, not 1965.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Nothing was said in season 5 about Grimes dying. Which is not surprising since in season 2 he was said he died in 1980, not 1965.
Yeah... we... already...