• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Family reunions

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hm, it's that time of the year again, and I don't fare well in (large) groups.
It's not because I'm shy or anything like that, but I have literally nothing to say so I always end up listening to other people's conversations (about stuff that doesn't interest me).
It's perfectly doable for, say, 30 minutes, but these reunions usually last 4 or 5 hours.

I'm a very self-indulgent person, I need to enjoy myself. Maybe not at work, but that's a completely different situation.

It's torture, just to sit there for hours and hours and hours, sipping at 7Ups and trying very hard not to look isolated - what a waste of precious leisure time!

I don't dislike my family, and I'd love to see them, but not in this kind of setting.

I've got one week to plot the perfect excuse not to go

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's perfectly doable for, say, 30 minutes, but these reunions usually last 4 or 5 hours.

Is there any way you can arrive late and/or leave early?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No, but I could fake my own kidnapping, pay myself a fortune to release me, and become super-rich in the process (because of the fortune).
Brilliant idea!

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Have you considered faking your own death? Or is that a bit extreme?
I mean failing that, putting a little electricity in the 7up would be your best bet. It doesn't really matter what it is, vodka, gin, whisky? Splash a little of that in your 7ups and see the fun fly. You'll be the life and soul of the party and the one that EVERYONE will remember.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I could fake my own kidnapping, pay myself a fortune to release me, and become super-rich in the process (because of the fortune).
Get them to pay the fortune to release you, then use the money to fake a DNA test to say you're not part of their family--thus, they've paid for your excuse to never attend again!

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Will there be any children there? What I often do is play a ball game with the children in the garden and leave the rest of the family to chat about things that don't particularly interest me. That will be good for at least an hour.

You could also arrange family group photos and spend a long time setting it up, organising who stands and who sits and where. Then do individual photos of everyone doing something that they particularly enjoy or is associated with them. That will get you involved with everybody without having to be part of group or individual conversations. Upload the photos to a memory stick and play them all back on a laptop or TV screen to show everyone. Overall you could get at least about 2 hours out of that depending on how many are at your reunion.