• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Favourite Christmas albums

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I've always struggled with the concept of a Christmas Album, ever since it's been possible to create my own Christmas playlist.

But thinking about this as we head towards another Christmas. I would be really interested in seeing a Christmas album from something gothic like Marilyn Manson, or maybe Green Day, 30 Seconds to Mars, Garbage or Placebo

MM.png

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I would be really interested in seeing a Christmas album from something gothic

This came up in my Amazon suggestions the other day and so is on my radar. It looks gloriously gothic...

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This came up in my Amazon suggestions the other day and so is on my radar. It looks gloriously gothic...
Woah!! That sounds promising, very promising. I'm amazed that it was only yesterday I was thinking about a Gothic style Christmas and then you post this. One niggle I have is, I prefer the gothic sound of a male voice, over female. I loved the track you posted, but by the end, I was feeling overdone a little. That said, I've just looked at the tracklisting and I'm very excited at finding out what some of the tracks will sound like.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm amazed that it was only yesterday I was thinking about a Gothic style Christmas and then you post this.

Absolutely. I almost posted about the Tarja album here when it came up as a suggestion a few days ago, but I wasn't sure if I should bring up the C-word just yet. But now you've let genie out of the bottle she's not going back in....

One niggle I have is, I prefer the gothic sound of a male voice, over female.

As I was posting about it, the thought crossed my mind that may be the case, especially with 80% of the artists you mentioned above having male leads. As you know, I'm the opposite and prefer female vocals most of the time, so Tarja is right up my alley.

That said, I've just looked at the tracklisting and I'm very excited at finding out what some of the tracks will sound like.

Me too!!

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
But now you've let genie out of the bottle she's not going back in....

If ASDA & Tesco can do it in October, then so can Soap Chat :D
As I was posting about it, the thought crossed my mind that may be the case, especially with 80% of the artists you mentioned above having male leads. As you know

Yeah, I don't know why, but the only female singers I can listen to a full album (and then some) are Madonna & Lady Gaga. I can do Yazoo's two albums too, but not a full Alison Moyet album. Strange and weird that I am. I'm having a Blondie month, however, I'm cutting out her hits so the album doesn't go on too long.

I'm the opposite and prefer female vocals most of the time, so Tarja is right up my alley.

Oh, I have your musical taste down to a T

Not sure when I actually last used that phrase "To a T" but I've used it twice today.

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I can not wait to listen to the Christmas albums again, with Christmas this kind of music always makes it very cozy at home.

So far, here are my favorite Christmas albums.

Carpenters - Christmas Portait (1978) - Christmas isn't complete without this album.

Celine Dion - These Are Special Times (1998) - Another great album that i must hear each year.

Barbra Streisand - A Christmas Album (1967) - What a great album.

Olivia Newton-John - Christmas Wish (2007)

Elvis Presley - Elvis' Christmas Album (1957) - Love the song "Blue Christmas" and Christmas isn't complete without Elvis Presley.

Kylie Minogue - Kylie Christmas (2015)

Anne Murray - Chrismas Wishes (1981)

Faith Hill - Joy To The World (2008)

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Each year I buy a number of Christmas albums. This year's haul

My 2017 Christmas album purchases are...

Winter Wonderland
Mandy Barnett

I discovered Mandy's gorgeous voice and countrypolitan sound this year when we did Crazy in the Standards threads and immediately invested in a number of her albums. It was money well spent and I've been looking forward to getting to hear this one properly.

A Mary Christmas
Mary J. Blige

As recommended by @Jingle Jason73, which is usually a sign I'm going to like it. I'm especially enjoying the Spanglish track Noche De Paz (Silent Night).

What A Wonderful World
LeAnn Rimes

More country Christmas tunes. Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree, Miss You Like Christmas and All I Want For Christmas Is You will be getting lots of plays.

The Christmas Album | Deluxe Edition
Human Nature

Delta Goodrem and Jessica Mauboy lured me into this one. The boys have a really nice sound. The good looking gay guy sings in the same very deep register as me, and another of the guys has a really sexy voice. Sadly, the falsetto guy gives me a migraine, but there are some songs where he's less in your face and I've managed to edit him out of a couple of others so it's not all bad news.

And a couple of compilations...

Top Of The Pops Christmas

This is a bit different. It includes a number of Christmas songs that you won't find on most compilations and also throws in some non-festive songs that were hits over Christmas.

A Very Special Christmas 7

This one I got mainly for Charice's gorgeous version of The Christmas Song, but there are some nice discoveries on it too.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Each year I buy a number of Christmas albums.

My 2018 additions...

The Gift

Susan Boyle

I'm not sure I'll listen to this one much but the arrangements mostly lean towards the stripped back and haunting which is right up my street.

The Real... Andy Williams
Andy Williams

Not a seasonal album per se, but the final disc includes a dozen consecutive Christmas tunes, which is over 33% more Christmas than the entire Martina album.

Christmas Memories
Barbra Streisand

It's a different kind of sound to her 1967 A Christmas Album but nicely mellow.

It's The Holiday Season
Martina McBride

The one I've been looking forward to since it was announced early in 2017. As with Streisand, it's quite a different album to Martina's White Christmas of twenty years ago. From what I've heard it's authentically vintage-sounding and gives me a Henry Mancini vibe, which has to be good. The only downside is that there are only nine short tracks. I can't wait to discover it properly over the next few weeks.

Just one compilation this year...

Dreamboats & Petticoats | Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree

A pleasant collection of vintage songs, mostly from the Forties and Fifties, a good number of which were new discoveries for me.

Justine

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
8 Days of Christmas - Destiny's Child

Attachments

• 81RQ-DuqOxL._SL1500_.jpg
    81RQ-DuqOxL._SL1500_.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 304

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Here follows a list of the best selling Christmas albums in the UK since the turn of the century.

20. The Christmas Album – Frank Sinatra (2003)
19. Classic Christmas – Joe McElderry (2011)
18. Christmas with Leona Lewis (2013) 122k sales
17. This is Christmas – Katherine Jenkins (2012)
16. Home for Christmas – Susan Boyle (2013)
15. Kylie Christmas – Kylie Minogue (2105) 139k sales
14. The Rat Pack Christmas Album – Rat Pack (2004)
13. Under the Mistletow – Justin Bieber (2011)
12. Dream a Dream – Charlotte Church (2000)
11. The Christmas Album – Aled Jones (1985)
10. The Christmas Album – Daniel O’Donnell (2004)
9. One Chance/Christmas Edition – Paul Potts (2008)
8. My Christmas – Andrea Bocelli (2009)
7. Merry Christmas – Mariah Carey (1994) 311k sales since the turn of the century
6. A Christmas Cornucopia – Annie Lennox (2010) –
5. Christmas Peace – Elvis Presley (2003) 318k sales
4. Ultimate Christmas Party – Jive Bunny & the Mastermixers (2002)
3. Cliff at Christmas – Cliff Richard (2003) 409k sales
2. Merry Christmas Baby – Rod Stewart (2012) 636k sales
1. Christmas – Michael Bublé (2011) 2.78 million sales

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Gosh. I think I only have three of those.

But that does include the #1.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Each year I buy a number of Christmas albums. This year's haul has included

My new for 2019 Christmas albums. I haven't bought many albums this year, so it's quality over quantity:

The Spirit Of Christmas
Michael W. Smith & Friends

I already owned one of the tracks: What Child Is This, with Martina McBride. The arrangement is so beautiful that I've intended to buy the album for some years, and I finally got around to it recently. As hoped, it's a gorgeous sounding album.

Christmas with Elvis and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Elvis Presley with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

This I wasn't sure about. I love Elvis's Christmas songs but have a love/hate relationship with these RPO re-arrangements of classic artists which are sometimes different enough to jar but not different enough to justify their existence, if that makes any sense. I bought a previous Elvis collaboration, If I Can Dream four years ago and have barely played it, while I've played his original versions a fair bit. I feared it would be the same story here. Turns out the luscious, soft, sweeping arrangements do good things for Elvis's Christmas music. I'll probably listen to it a fair bit when I get round to festive playlists later in the month. Whether these will enjoy the longevity of the originals is doubtful, but it's nice to think they may.

The Spirit Of Christmas 2013
Various Artists

I love this series of albums, even though I only own half a dozen of them so far. They feel very "alternative" in their approach to Christmas music, with lots of country and acoustic songs. It's proved to be not only a chance to find rare songs from favourite artists, but also to discover new artists. Highlights for me on this particular one are Troy Cassar-Daley's countrified rendition of Blue Christmas, Delta Goodrem's take on Santa Claus Is Back In Town and the main reason for my purchase: Tina Arena's version of Christmas (Baby Please Come Home). Heaven.

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I didn't bought any new Christmas albums this year, so i will stick to my old list from last year. ;)

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We Three Kings-The Roches
Merry Christmas- Bing Crosby
A Very Special Christmas(1987) - Various
Merry Christmas- Mariah Carey

Individual songs: The Christmas Song- Nat King Cole
What Child Is This- Vanessa Williams
Zat you, Santy Claus? Louis Armstrong

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Since my last post in this thread, these new albums have entered my list of favourite Christmas albums:

Weeping Willows - Snowflakes

Linnea Henriksson - Till ___________ Från ____________

Various Artists - Jazzy Christmas Party

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Two more festive albums entered play during December.

Reba's in particular has become an instant favourite for its warm, mellow, unplugged vibe. It feels like a family singalong round the old Joanna. I'm sure the seasonal-but-not-too-Christmas-specific numbers will be getting continued play in the coming months.

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Two more festive albums entered play during December.

Reba's in particular has become an instant favourite for its warm, mellow, unplugged vibe. It feels like a family singalong round the old Joanna. I'm sure the seasonal-but-not-too-Christmas-specific numbers will be getting continued play in the coming months.

Great choice @Mel O'Kalikimaka, I still have to buy this album but I keep forgetting it i just don't know why because i love listen to Reba's music, I hope to be able to buy it for next Christmas for 2020. :)

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I hope to be able to buy it for next Christmas for 2020. :)

I highly recommend it, PC. It has a nice, relaxed feel to it and shows off Reba's voice well. It was quite a reasonable price too. Maybe the price will come down again by next Christmas. ;)