Favourite type of documentary?

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Do you prefer documentaries about tragic events, historical documentaries, biographies about celebrities, fascinated life destinies, accidents, animal or nature documentaries, science documentaries, space/universe, crime documentaries, documentaries about music, series or movies etc etc ?

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Do you prefer documentaries about tragic events, historical documentaries, biographies about celebrities, fascinated life destinies, accidents, animal or nature documentaries, science documentaries, space/universe, crime documentaries, documentaries about music, series or movies etc etc ?

I like most of the genres you mentioned, but I mostly like crime docs (for some reason especially ones set in the 70's and 80's). I like to see real people recount their version of events. I also like biographies of famous people or bands, and also about the making of iconic movies and/or albums. I watch a lot of nature documentaries too.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Great question - I love anything true life and documentaries are a must for me. I love anything about serial killers or true life mysteries. Also world tragedies and disasters. All joyful stuff.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really like biographical documentaries, not necessarily of celebrities but anyone who had an interesting life or achieved something of note.

The documentary called Marley (2012), which told the life story of Bob Marley is one of my favourites because they had great access to those close to him who were very open and honest about the man, they were able to use some rarely seen video footage, he had a fascinating life and they illustrated it with a soundtrack made of his music.

Last edited:

Justine

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love mostly all documentaries, specifically crime. However, I tend to prefer ones about murders that occurred years before and remain unsolved.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm kind of varied on what I like. I love anything about old Hollywood, bios on actors, the studio system and that sort of thing. I love documentaries on any of the big designer fashion houses. I also love documentaries about the 2nd world war. I think that's because as a child I could never really understand how that chain of events occurred that set in motion a world war. As a 36 year old man I am still none the wiser. But the wars I have seen since have been equally as baffling to understand.

I don't often watch travel documentaries or ones about crime or murderers.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
WWII for me, I was never interested in such things but over the past 10 years I've really had a hunger and a thirst for info - how, why...etc.

To this day I still cannot comprehend the actual horror of WWII - such pure evil at work in so many different ways. Maybe that's why I'm so hungry for it, because my brain simply can't compute what happened to millions of people because of one evil man.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I like travel documentaries and first watching Micheal Palin in Around the world in 80 days opened my eyes up to travelling to far flung corners of the globe to see different cultures, places, lifestyles and made me ambitious to see the world

Also like Sue perkins on her travels

Until then I liked to fry on a beach in Tenerife/Spain for 8 hours an day and all 14 days of my holiday in my teens.

I also like some but not all documentaries on animals and feel that Scottish broadcaster Gordon Buchanan is fab and prefer him to Mr Attenborough who is a bit same-ey now!
Like anything to do with Elephants, Pandas, Tigers in particular

I like biographies but it depends who it is, i loved history at school and like Simon Schama type documentaries abut Kings and Queens of old or The war WW1 and 2,
I also find anything to do with the plight of Jewish people in the war shocking but I want to know more and be educated re why it happened

Not a fan of cooking programs or science/space related shows

Jessie

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like Celebrity documentaries, true crimes basically I have watched a lot of different ones recently.