Flamingo Road Filming Locations

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.02 "The Victim":

Where Lute-Mae and Lane are shopping in the opening scene used to be the pedestrianized Golden Mall in Burbank in the 1980's. It existed between 1967 and 1989 and consisted of San Fernando Boulevard from Tujunga Avenue to Magnolia Boulevard, immediately south of the present Burbank Town Center. You can see the Golden Mall's distinct gazebo in the scene, which gives the whereabouts away. The approximate geocoordinates were 34°10'50.9"N 118°18'39.2"W. The area was redeveloped since.
FR-2.02-03-GoldenMall,Burbank.JPG

The interiors of the Truro Sheriff Department were not specifically built for the show, but it was a standing set on stage 24 at The Burbank Studios, which was used for many TV series filmed at WB. It has been long gone. Not sure when exactly they dismantled it, but certainly by the time when stage 24 became the "Friends" stage. The holding cell and the stairway in the hall (which is hardly visible through the blinds in this scene) was also part of this vast interior set.
FR-2.02-04-TBS-Stage24-PoliceSet.JPG

The establishing shot of Miami International Airport is stock footage from a film library and features the real airport building as it looked at that time. It has been completely rebuilt since.
FR-2.02-05-MiamiInternationalAiport.JPG

The log cabin where Lute-Mae and Lane are staying is informally known as the FBI Cabin at the lagoon in the jungle area at The Burbank Studios (Warner Bros.). The nickname comes from its use on the old TV series "The F.B.I.". The cabin is still there. Oftentimes slightly redressed, but always recognizable, it's been in thousands of TV shows and movies.
FR-2.02-06-TBS-FBICabin.JPG

FR-2.02-08-TBS-FBICabin.JPG

The gas station (scene with Lane) is, of course, the former gas station in the Doonevan Flats area at The Burbank Studios (Warner Bros.) again. It became most popular as Godsey's store on "The Waltons". Check my post no. 7 for details. It was demolished in the 1990's when the northern part of the studio's jungle was redeveloped.
FR-2.02-07-TBS-Godsey's.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.03 "The Substitute":

This night scene was filmed on the backlot of The Burbank Studios (Warner Bros.). The stairway on screen capture 2 is between a row of façades (next to a movie theater façade) on New York Street. The approximate location is 34°08'58.6"N 118°20'15.6"W. You can see the other New York Street façades across the street in the shot favoring Titus at the door of his patrol car.
FR-2.03-04a-TBS-NYSt.JPG

FR-2.03-04b-TBS-NYSt.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It would be logical if they were mansions from Florida since the show was supposed to take place there.

I'm not so sure about that. If so, this would be stock footage from a film library. Contrary to Lorimar's usual production habits, not a single scene of "Flamingo Road" was filmed anywhere else but in Greater L.A. to my knowledge.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.04 "The Intruder":

The property Michael Tyrone is interested in was filmed in the Ballona Wetlands in Los Angeles. I can't place the exact spot though.
FR-2.04-01-BallonaWetlands.JPG

Where Field gets to know Sandy is 2665 Main Street, Santa Monica, CA 90405 — still pretty much like in the old days:
FR-2.04-02a-2665MainSt,SantaMonica.JPG

FR-2.04-02b-2665MainSt,SantaMonica.JPG

The restaurant where Field later meets with Sandy (and where Claude appears also) was located at 2702 Main Street, Santa Monica, CA 90405. The building is still there (pretty much the same), but it's under different ownership now. Nowadays it's Jameson's Pub. I can't remember its name from back then.
FR-2.04-03-2702MainSt,SantaMonica.JPG

Field's hotel (exteriors only; stock footage) is what used to be Beverly Garland's Howard Johnson Hotel. It's nowadays called The Garland, located at 4222 Vineland Avenue, North Hollywood, CA 91602:
FR-2.04-04-TheGarland,NoHo.JPG

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh Sandy is living in the same building that Steven in the first season of "Dynasty" ! :D
I'm not so sure about that. If so, this would be stock footage from a film library. Contrary to Lorimar's usual production habits, not a single scene of "Flamingo Road" was filmed anywhere else but in Greater L.A. to my knowledge.
But maybe Lorimar sent a second-unit crew to film some stock footage specifically for the opening sequence ?
Aaron Spelling and the Shapiros did that with Filoli in seasons 1, 3, 5 and 6 of "Dynasty" (not for the OP sequence but for the shots of the mansion used throughout the episodes).

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.06 "The Powers That Be":

Golden Groove Recording Studio (exteriors and interiors) is actually the former Evergreen Recording Studio (nowadays LA Sound Gallery) at 4403 West Magnolia Boulevard, Burbank, CA 91505. Evergreen was Lorimar's usual stage for recording the score of each "Flamingo Road" episode as well as for most of its other shows.
The building, by the way, used to be the Magnolia Theater until 1979 when it was converted into a recording studio. The Art Déco / Streamline Moderne structure is nowadays a mere shadow of itself since it lost the beautiful marquee with Art Déco style elements and all the windows / doors on the first floor were walled up.
FR-2.06-EvergreenRecordingStudios.JPG

Although it looks nothing like the Florida State Capitol, the Capitol Building in Tallahassee, FL is portrayed by the very photogenic Pasadena City Hall, CA at 100 Garfield Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91101, which is every location manager's all-purpose tool when it comes to elegant governmental buildings.
FR-2.06-02-PasadenaCityHall.JPG

I still don't know anything about the exteriors of the Eagle Cafe (it's a reused establishing shot from the pilot). But the interiors were filmed in the Blue Room, which used to be the studio commissary at The Burbank Studios back then. Since then, Warner Bros. has remodeled and updated its commissary beyond recognition.
FR-2.06-03-TBS-BlueRm.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.07 "The Little Foxes":

Shorecrest Clinic, the sanitarium where Eudora is treated (both interiors and exteriors) is actually a private residence at 257 South Grand Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91105. It is historically known as the Tod Ford House. In recent years, it was repainted in pinkish color, which takes away much of its historic appearance. Fortunately, the exteriors have not been changed much otherwise.
FR-2.07-02-TodFordHs,Pasadena.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.09 "Strange Bedfellows":

I'm not entirely sure where the downtown street in Truro was filmed. My guess from its overall appearance is Honolulu Avenue in Montrose, CA, but there's nothing distinct that would help me confirm it. The second screen grab shows a store called Rattanland, which I think might have been a real business at the time rather than a prop sign, but I was unable to find historic documentation for that firm.
FR-2.09-01a.JPG

FR-2.09-01c.JPG

Constance and Julio meet at the TBS (WB) lagoon, the usual backlot location:
FR-2.09-03-TBSLagoon.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.10 "Heatwave":

Where Constance and Michael meet is in the jungle area at TBS (WB) again:
FR-2.10-02-TBS-Jungle.JPG

The footpath where Alicia and Julio walk to the car was in the jungle / lagoon area at TBS (WB). The rock formation behind them is an artificial rock on wheels unofficially called Devil's Gulch. It was said to have originated on the set of "Bonanza" and was in use for many different productions until the mid-1980's, including "The Waltons", "Hart to Hart" (the rock near the gate to the Hart house) and "Falcon Crest" (the spot from where Deputy Duffy, with his premature gunshot, ignited the kerosene lantern and caused the spring house fire). Devil's Gulch was dismantled when the northern part of the lagoon area was sacrificed for a new parking structure in 1995.
FR-2.10-03-TBS-Devil'sGulch.JPG

The establishing shot of the Belmont Shores Hotel in Tallahassee, FL is from the Langham Huntington Hotel at 1401 South Oak Knoll Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91106. Today's hotel by the same name and in the same place is a replica of the historic hotel since the original Langham Huntington had to be demolished due to seismic instability in the late 1980's. It was almost identically rebuilt, beginning in 1991. Demolishing the original hotel had to be done quite carefully because the two historic ballrooms (Viennese and Georgian) were saved to be incorporated into the reconstruction.
FR-2.10-04-LanghamHuntington.JPG

The interiors of the Belmont Shores Hotel (conference room and the room with the checkered floor) were filmed at the former Ambassador Hotel (3400 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90010). It was demolished in 2006 and replaced by a school (the shape of the school's outer shell was designed to reminisce the legendary Ambassador.) The room with the checkered floor is what used to be the Spanish Patio at the Ambassador at the time of filming. The Spanish Patio was later renamed Dolphin Court.
FR-2.10-05-AmbassadorHotel-DolphinCourt.JPG

The fountain where Michael meets Tony was located on Park Boulevard at The Burbank Studios Ranch (previously Columbia Ranch, nowadays Warner Bros. Ranch), located at 411 North Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91505. Although it is historically a Columbia Pictures fountain, which was used in hundreds of Columbia productions, it got into Warner's possession when TBS was dissolved and WB took over the ranch lot from Columbia. It later became most famous for its use in the main title of "Friends". In late 2019, the fountain was removed from the ranch and relocated to the main lot of Warner Bros. Studios (4000 Warner Boulevard) where it is now in the New York Park / Embassy Park area. Moving the fountain was necessary due to the sale of the ranch lot and its redevelopment into Ranch Lot Studios, which will no longer use the backlot locations of the ranch.
FR-2.10-06-TBSRanch-Fountain.JPG

Constance and Michael at the Belmont Shores Hotel bar: This scene was filmed in the Cocoanut Grove at the former Ambassador Hotel in L.A.
FR-2.10-07-Ambassador-CocoanutGrove.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.10 "Heatwave" (cont'd):

Although this is not a real location, I think it's interesting in the location context anyway. Constance's suite at the Belmont Shores Hotel in Tallahassee, FL is actually the redressed standard bedroom set from the Falcon Crest Victorian Mansion on "Falcon Crest".
You can read more details about the reuse of "Falcon Crest" sets on other shows in the "Beyond the Show - Interior Sets" section on falconcrest.org, which is available to the general public: http://falconcrest.org/english/master.php?path=show/productionoffice/beyond/intsets
In our membership area, you can view and download the actual floor plan of the set: http://falconcrest.org/english/master.php?path=show/productionoffice/locations/studios/int — this one is listed under "Falcon Crest Victorian Mansion - Second Floor - Bedrooms, Pattern A (Seasons 1 - 4)" and contains multiple pages to illustrate the various redresses and adaptions with movable wall elements, etc.
FR-2.10-08-FCVMBedrmSet-PatternA.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.11 "To Catch a Thief":

The Sheriff Department with the jail cell is the usual permanent set (not specifically built for this show), which was standing on TBS (WB) stage 24 for many years.
FR-2.11-02-TBS-Stage24.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry this is out of the usual episodic order, but I'm going back to season 1 for a few identifications:

# 1.03 "Illicit Weekend":

The downtown street in Truro is actually Main Street in El Segundo. The clinic (screen grab 2) where Lane drops off Lute-Mae is 455 Main Street (at the corner of Pine Avenue), El Segundo, CA 90245. It is still recognizable nowadays.
FR-1.03-01-MainSt,ElSegundo.JPG

FR-1.03-03-455MainSt,ElSegundo.JPG

The Clarion is just across the street. It is better visible in...

# 1.05 "A Mother's Revenge":

The Clarion is in the building at 444 Main Street, El Segundo, CA 90245. This building has lost all its charm since the brickwork was plastered and the building painted white since filming. The distinctly shaped / angled windows are still there though, and so is the front door.
FR-1.05-02-444MainSt,ElSegundo.JPG

Note: This is not the same location that was used as the Clarion in the pilot (a location I have not identified yet).

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.12 "Explosion":

For the Clarion, a different structure is used in this episode — neither the location from # 1.03 and 1.05 (see my preceding post) nor the location from the pilot. For obvious reasons (the later explosion in this episode!), it was safer to use facilities on the studio lot to set up a controlled blowup rather than the usual real building.
It is the corner building on French Street (southern corner) at The Burbank Studios (Warner Bros.) in this episode. This building later became most famous as Weston Bakery on "Gilmore Girls".
FR-2.12-02a-TBSFrenchSt.JPG

FR-2.12-02b-TBSFrenchSt.JPG

The hotel where Field, Constance, Sandy, Julio, Lane and Sam end up:
The establishing shot comes from the original Langham Huntington Hotel at 1401 South Oak Knoll Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91106 again (see post no. 30 for details about the new widely identical structure that sits its place).
The lobby and bar are from the former Ambassador Hotel that used to sit at 3400 Wilshire Boulevard in L.A.
FR-2.12-03-LanghamHuntington.JPG

FR-2.12-04a-Ambassador.JPG

FR-2.12-04b-Ambassador.JPG

Tyrone's garage where is Rolls is parked and where Titus arrives is the exterior set that was built in the jungle area at TBS (WB) as the Walton's new mill for "The Waltons". This set has long been demolished.
FR-2.12-05-WaltonsNewMill.JPG

Field and Constance's hotel room is a redress of the usual Victorian Mansion bedroom set from "Falcon Crest" again. For details, see my earlier post no. 31.

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Going back to # 2.09 "Strange Bedfellows":

I am not entirely sure, but the downtown Truro scenes I addressed in post no. 29 might have been filmed in the 200 block of North San Fernando Boulevard in Burbank, CA. Although it seems a hot candidate, I can't verify it though since so many buildings underwent a massive facelift or were rebuilt.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.13 "Chance of a Lifetime":

Lane and Sam's wedding was filmed in the Rose Garden of the Los Angeles County Arboretum &Botanic Garden, 301 North Baldwin Avenue, Arcadia, CA 91007. The Arboretum is one of most L.A. based location managers' favorite filming site because it offers a variety of gardens. The Rose Garden (like any other area in the Arboretum) can be rented as a wedding venue in real life as well.
The most popular spot at the Arboretum, by the way, is the beautiful white Queen Anne Cottage that was used — at least if you disregard its partly replica at the TBS (WB) Ranch — as Mr. Roarke's mansion on "Fantasy Island". I hope this information won't destroy your illusion of Hawaii from that series.
FR-2.13-04-LAArboretum.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.14 "Double Exposure":

The marina scenes were filmed in Marina Del Rey.
In the first scene after the aerial establishing shots of the sea (which is apparently stock footage from anywhere sea-ish), you see the boat slips with Burton W. Chace Park (Mindanao Way, Marina Del Rey, CA 90292) in the background.
FR-2.14-03-BurtonWChacePark,MarinaDelRey.JPG

The hotel in the background of Lane and Sam (also their hotel later in the episode; both exteriors and interiors) is the Marina Del Rey Hotel at 13534 Bali Way, Marina del Rey, CA 90292. It looks pretty much the same nowadays, but was updated, of course.
FR-2.14-04-MarinaDelReyHotel.JPG

FR-2.14-05-MarinaDelReyHotel.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.15 "The Dedication":

The road Constance drives along in the episode opener is Arden Road in Pasadena, CA. The gate to Michael's mansion is the actual gate to the filming location, Arden Villa, 1145 Arden Road, Pasadena, CA 91105. The prop department just installed the fake street no. sign (but nicely done!).
FR-2.15-01-1145ArdenRd,Pasadena.JPG

Truro Laundry & Dry Cleaners (the scene with Julio and Constance) was filmed on the backlot of The Burbank Studios (Warner Bros.). The explosion of the Clarion three episodes before was just two structures further down from the cleaners -- you can see the cornerstones of the Clarion building on the far right of the frame.
FR-2.15-02a-TBS-FrenchSt.JPG

When Julio and Constance drive away in her red Mercedes-Benz SL convertible, they make a right from French Street into Midwestern Street (nowadays called Midwest Street) on the TBS (WB) backlot.
The store at the corner, Skipper Ward Surplus, is still dressed with the usual lettering as on "The Dukes of Hazzard" (where this "business" originated); the "Dukes" were still filming at the same time. Lorimar apparently didn't see any need to redress this exterior set. By the way, Skip Ward was the associate producer of the "Dukes"...
FR-2.15-02b-TBS-FrenchSt.JPG

After they turned into Midwest Street, we are no longer on the studio lot! The scene cuts to a "real" street. They are driving along Glenwood Road in Glendale in the tow shot. At a certain point, we see the distinct Auditorium of Herbert Hoover High School in the background (651 Glenwood Road, Glendale, CA 91202):
FR-2.15-03-HooverHigh,Glendale.JPG

Towards the end of the episode, Field's jogging path is the unpaved road on the TBS (WB) lot that once led from the backlot jungle to the Walton House on "The Waltons" or to the Spring House on "Falcon Crest".
FR-2.15-08-TBS-Jungle.JPG

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Unknown locations from # 2.15:

Does anyone happen to know where they filmed these?

Field's Senate office building:
FR-2.15-04-Field'sOffice.JPG

Sam and Lane's house:
FR-2.15-05a-Sam&Lane'sHs.JPG
FR-2.15-06b-Sam&Lane'sHs.JPG

FR-2.15-07-Sam&Lane'sHs.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 2.16 "Sins of the Fathers":

Unfortunately, I don't know where they filmed the establishing shots of Truro at the beginning of this episode. The street signs are clearly modified or maybe complete props. My first thought was Montrose or Monrovia, but I have not been able to verify that.

The pond where Skipper and Alicia are is the TBS (WB) lagoon again:
FR-2.16-04-TBSLagoon.JPG

Mr. Stern's cabin is actually the redressed FBI Cabin at the lagoon in the jungle area at The Burbank Studios (Warner Bros.). See my post no. 21 for details. This time, they redressed the cabin with lots of greenery and kept the lagoon out of the camera angle.
FR-2.16-06-TBS-FBICabin.JPG

This is French Street at TBS (WB) again. We can still see the dry cleaners (still with the prop sign — Julio just went by) from the previous episode. The gift store Constance comes out is next door.
FR-2.16-07-TBS-FrenchStreet.JPG