Filming Locations

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 14.14:

I don't know about the interiors (although I suspect it being a set on a sound stage), the exteriors of Clency's, the bar where Mack and Greg are playing darts, is a façade on New York Street on the backlot of Warner Bros. Studios, 4000 Warner Boulevard, Burbank, CA 91505; the exterior set's approximate geocoordinates are 34°08'57.9"N 118°20'14.3"W.
If you are familiar with the medical drama "ER", you will recognize the archway in the background when Greg and Mack walk off; that archway was later used as the ambulance bay on "ER", and the fake Chicago El tracks were constructed along the façade complex visible in the background.
Although "Knots" continued to film at Sony Pictures Studios until the end of the regular series, the former MGM / Lorimar backlot got more and more diminished, not to say eradicated. Sony constructed a few new buildings, and the rebuilding process also included demolishing sound stages 18 through 20, so it certainly became more and more difficult to film outdoor scenes at Sony. Considering that Warner Bros. had taken over Lorimar in 1989, using exisiting sets at WB was a more or less natural choice.
KL-14.14-WB-NewYorkSt-1.JPG

KL-14.14-WB-NewYorkSt-2.JPG

KL-14.14-WB-NewYorkSt-3.JPG

Kate, Bobby and Betsy riding their bikes: The first segment was filmed approximately at 34°08'51.9"N 118°18'10.0"W — note the irrigation canal, which made it easier to determine the spot. It is located on a section of Mount Hollywood Drive that forks off from Griffith Park Drive and is closed to the public.
KL-14.14-GriffithPark-MtHollywoodDr.JPG

The spot where Kate was forced off the road was filmed elsewhere. I haven't been able to identify the exact spot yet.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 14.15:

The scene with Vanessa and Tom in the carousel was filmed at the Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round in Griffith Park, Los Angeles, CA.
KL-14.15-GriffithPark-MerryGoRound-1.JPG

KL-14.15-GriffithPark-MerryGoRound-2.JPG

Gary and Kate's picnic was also filmed in Griffith Park — in the Mineral Wells Picnic Area.
KL-14.15-GriffithPark-MineralWellsPicnic.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 14.16:

The establishing shot of New York features Mercer Street at Spring Street. Diana's apartment seems to be at 109 Spring Street, New York, NY 10012:
KL-14.16-MercerSt,NY.JPG

KL-14.16-Mercer&SpringSt,NY.JPG

KL-14.16-SpringSt,NY.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 14.17:

In the scene with Nick and Anne, I think this is the former sound stage complex 18 / 19 / 20, which was demolished by Sony in the mid-1990's or early 2000's and replaced with the Robert Young Building.
KL-14.17-Sony-NearGeneAutryBldg.JPG

KL-14.17-Sony-Stages18,19,20.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 14.18 - Part II (as per original broadcast) a.k.a. # 14.19 (as per reruns):

Abby's hotel (interiors and exteriors) is the Warner Center Marriott, 21850 Oxnard Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91376:
KL-14.19-WarnerCenterMarriott.JPG

KL-14.19-WarnerCenterMarriott-Int.JPG

The airport building (scene with Anne, Claudia and Nick) is the redressed first floor of the Jimmy Stewart Building at Sony Pictures Studios:
KL-14.19-Sony-JimmyStewartBldg.JPG

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Oh my. Is that the entire series done, TJP? That came round so quickly.

I'm in awe of the work you've put into making this the ultimate Knots location guide. I've loved reading along and will no doubt be revisiting it many times in the future - especially when I rewatch.

Do you plan to do Back To The Cul-de-Sac as well?

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Back to the Cul-de-Sac - Part 1:

Warner Bros. fully absorbed Lorimar in the meantime. This reunion was filmed on sound stages at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank. They replicated the original sets for the MacKenzie house and the Ewing home there. The original sets were no longer available because they were dismantled after the original series wrapped up and partly reused for other projects; other parts were simply destroyed.

I don't know where they filmed the teaser with Nicollette's cameo, but all other scenes at Greg's ranch were filmed at Saddlerock Ranch (see below.).

The opening scene after the main title was filmed inside the Mill (Building 44) at Warner Bros. Studios:
BTTCDS-WB-Mill.JPG

Mack's office was a real office at the Bridge Building (Building 156) at Warner Bros. Studios. That building was quite new at the time:
BTTCDS-WB-BridgeBldg.JPG

Greg's ranch home: Saddlerock Ranch, 31727 Mulholland Highway, Malibu, CA 90265.
Since David Jacobs no longer owned The Chateau Ranch (he sold it, and it became Hummingbird Nest Ranch), Warner Bros. had to find a substitute. The main house at Saddlerock looked totally different though. I always felt they should have reused old establishing shots of The Chateau Ranch and simply rebuilt the patio / living room set for more consistency. Anyway, the main house of Saddlerock Ranch was destroyed in a devastating wildfire in Malibu Canyon in 2018. Here's an interior shot of the living room / dining nook area:
BTTCDS-Saddlerock-Int.JPG

Val arriving at the movie studio: They didn't even care to cover the WB sign on the gate house. This is Gate 2 of Warner Bros. Studios on Barham Boulevard in Burbank, CA, still pretty much unchanged:
BTTCDS-WB-Gate2.JPG

Val having lunch with the producer: Warner Bros. Studios Commissary. In the second screen grab, you can see the one of the oldest permanent exterior sets at WB, Brownstone Street (nowadays called Ashley Boulevard):
BTTCDS-WB-Commissary.JPG

BTTCDS-WB-BrownstoneStreet.JPG

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Back to the Cul-de-Sac - Part 1 (cont'd):

The establishing scene for Abby's meeting is from the Century Plaza Towers in Century City, CA:
BTTCDS-CenturyPlazaTowers.JPG

The producer's house (scene with Val) is at 30068 Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, CA — the same house Abby and Peter Hollister looked at in # 8.19!
BTTCDS-30068PCHwy.JPG

Here's an exterior shot of Saddlerock Ranch's main house, which poses as Greg's ranch (see my previous post for details):
BTTCDS-Saddlerock-Ext.JPG

The movie industry's party was filmed at Encino Acres, a heavily filmed private residence located at 4839 Louise Avenue, Encino, CA 91316:
BTTCDS-EncinoAcres.JPG

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The new setting for Greg's ranch was such a different style/look that someone should have dropped a line into the dialogue about Greg having moved in the period between the end of the series and the beginning of the miniseries. Though this looks more like the home of a billionaire businessman, it's such a departure from the style of home we'd seen Greg in for so long.

Then again, so much of what we saw in this miniseries would be labeled "a departure from the style of the series," so maybe it's just another brick in a large wall.

Retired Account 1

Telly Talk Active Member
Retired Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The new setting for Greg's ranch was such a different style/look that someone should have dropped a line into the dialogue about Greg having moved in the period between the end of the series and the beginning of the miniseries. Though this looks more like the home of a billionaire businessman, it's such a departure from the style of home we'd seen Greg in for so long.

Then again, so much of what we saw in this miniseries would be labeled "a departure from the style of the series," so maybe it's just another brick in a large wall.

I wouldn't say that I hate the last seasons or the mini series ,but when I rewatched Knots Landing I don't watch them, because something is missing, it's like the same actors would play in an other serie, I know there are changes between the 80s and the 90s but for me Knots and also Dallas are from the 80s and they left something behind when the era changed... and then came ...melrose place lol that is perfect for the 90s

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Back to the Cul-de-Sac - Part 2:

At approximately 8 minutes into Part 2, when the police arrives in the cul-de-sac to speak to Gary and Val, they scene wasn't filmed in Crystalaire Place although other scenes of the reunion movie were shot there. gary and Val's house is filmed very closely, which indicates that they used the replica on the sound stage here. But what really gives it away is that the arrival of the detectives was shot on Blondie Street at the Warner Bros. Studios Ranch (formerly Columbia Ranch) at 411 North Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91505. In the screen grab, you can see the famous façade from "Bewitched" in the background.
BTTCDS-WBRanch-BlondieStreet.JPG

The police station where Val is interrogated was filmed in an office building at 1111 South Victory Boulevard, Burbank, CA:
BTTCDS-1111SVictory,Burbank.JPG

After the fire in the storage, Abby drives in her Mercedes-Benz SL at night: The corner lot with the car dealership is approximately 5705 Lankershim Boulevard, North Hollywood, CA 91606 — not much different from what it looked like back then.
BTTCDS-5705Lankershim,NoHo.JPG

Meg's school is actually Dixie Canyon Avenue School at 4220 Dixie Canyon Avenue, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423:
BTTCDS-DixieCynAveSchool.JPG

The motel where Mack is staying is the real Safari Inn at 1911 West Olive Avenue, Burbank, CA 91506. It's a heavily used location in the entertainment industry.
BTTCDS-SafariInn,Burbank.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I've finished working on "Knots Landing" location-wise. There's still a good number of (particularly minor) locations that I was unable to identify, but I'll be happy to post whenever I come across any of them.

I'll have a closer look at "Flamingo Road" now and will start episodic postings about filming locations here soon: http://www.tellytalk.net/threads/filming-locations.11505/

Retired Account 1

Telly Talk Active Member
Retired Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've finished working on "Knots Landing" location-wise. There's still a good number of (particularly minor) locations that I was unable to identify, but I'll be happy to post whenever I come across any of them.

I'll have a closer look at "Flamingo Road" now and will start episodic postings about filming locations here soon: http://www.tellytalk.net/threads/filming-locations.11505/

thanks a lot for your amazing work !!!!!

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
By the way, in case anyone can put me in the right direction where to get recordings of Lorimar's "Berrenger's" and "Secrets of Midland Heights", I'd be happy to cross-reference them for locations (among other studio-related stuff). It's so much fun and so interesting what's still there to discover even after 30 or 40 years!

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Revisiting # 6.12 and # 6.19:

Through cross-referencing, I discovered that the establishing shot of Shula, Tennessee in # 6.12 actually originated during Lorimar's filming of # 2.09 of "Flamingo Road" in Seal Beach, CA.
This is the corner of Main Street and Electric Avenue — the building at the corner is 250 Main Street, Seal Beach, CA 90470:
KL-6.12-Shula-250MainSt,SealBeach.JPG

In # 6.10, we see a bit more of this street in Shula, TN. Actually from the corner of Electric Avenue and Main Street in Seal Beach, CA going on Main in southern direction:
KL-6.19-1-250MainSt,SealBeach.JPG

KL-6.19-2-250MainSt,SealBeach.JPG

As we originally discussed, it's quite ridiculous that they used establishing shots with palm trees from California for Tennessee!

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
An addition to # 14.04 today:

Chez Nous, the restaurant where Ann and Greg meet Claudia and Nick was filmed at the Century Club. This charming building (most of which, unfortunately, remained unseen in the scene in this episode) was located at 10131 Constellation Boulevard in Century City, CA. It was demolished in 2006, and it has taken an awful long time to redevelop this block. Construction work on the site is still ongoing.
KL-14.04-04a-ChezNousRestaurant.JPG
KL-14.04-04b-ChezNousRestaurant.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
# 4.20:

Gary's court hearing (interiors): Alhambra Municipal Courts, 150 West Commonwealth Avenue, Alhambra, CA 91801. It's the same courtroom Lorimar used for Ray's trial on "Dallas" and many more courtroom scenes in both "Dallas" and "Falcon Crest".
View attachment 29081

I have to make a correction concerning my previous post quoted above:
This courtroom was shot inside the Inglewood Courthouse (like the exteriors in the episode), not in the similar one in Alhambra (which was, indeed, used for "Dallas" and "Falcon Crest").