• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Filthy Rich

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
New primetime soap opera about to premiere! Cautiously optimistic, although I'm worried about the 'satirical' part. Still, definitely checking it out!

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm cautiously optimistic also. While I always welcome any new primetime suds, I hope it doesn't lean too heavily into the satire element. Desperate Housewives balanced the comedy and the drama well initially but I think a lot of shows that came afterwards had their drama diluted by adding in satirical comedy aspects.

WeldonBallou

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just saw the promo last week and thought "well well...that's a fresh and relevant concept!"

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I heard the pilot was great, but there were some behind the scenes troubles post-pilot, hence why it was pushed to late spring originally (going into the summer) until Fox realised they could use it for fall fodder. I'm going to watch, but I'm kind of preparing for it to be a 10-and-done sort of deal.

Alexis Colby Carrington

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I heard the pilot was great, but there were some behind the scenes troubles post-pilot, hence why it was pushed to late spring originally (going into the summer) until Fox realised they could use it for fall fodder. I'm going to watch, but I'm kind of preparing for it to be a 10-and-done sort of deal.
Will it be shown in the uk?

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Will it be shown in the uk?

There's no UK broadcaster confirmed for it yet but I could see it airing somewhere like 5Star.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The trailer looks like it wants to be shockingly fun with the emphasis on fun.
From a narrative point of view it has a lot of potential because it can be told from not just 2 but 4 different angles (the family and the 3 strangers) - a collision between 4 different worlds.
They can play with alliances and betrayal and double-crossing, I'm not sure how the church thing fits in. It appears to be more intentionally fake & fun whereas Greenleaf takes it more seriously (Greenleaf is an oddity. It has the right hypocritical tone but it struggles to progress the story, and that's why it never becomes addictive enough).

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
To me it looks like that show called "GCB"... with touches of "Blood & Oil" and "Lone Star". Go figure... all canceled!

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"Filthy Rich" is based on a soap originally from New Zealand.

In Germany, we had a daily soap using the show's concept. It was called "Alles oder Nichts" ("All or Nothing") and debuted in October 2018 on Sat.1. The 3 heirs were a teenage girl, a stripper and a homeless guy. Ratings were low from the very beginning. After 3 months, the show's heroine – the widow (the role which is played by Kim Catrall in "Filthy Rich") – was suddenly recast, which was the nail in the show's coffin. After 105 episodes, it was cancelled and the final episode ran in March 2019.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"Cautiously optimistic" sounds about right. I'm increasingly convinced soaps are the hardest TV genre to get right; they're either lousy or start well and fall apart or just get cancelled. The trailer looks promising, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There's something about Kim Cattrall that I don't like, but I'm not sure what it is. It's a purely instinctive reaction.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The pilot was... okay. Not amazing like the Empire pilot, but it might end up being a fun ride for the next few months.

The incest-but-not-really-incest angle was predictable with the fake son (but I presume half-brother to the actual son) and the daughter. I also predicted Eugene being alive the moment they said the body wasn't recovered. "Is this hell?" "No, Louisiana."

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The first three episodes are on Hulu and I'll say I liked episode 2 & 3 better than the pilot. I think the kids started gelling better.

E-JULIAN

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've seen the 3 episodes available and I think the Christian TV empire takes too much time in the story. Maybe it's something personal, but I don't like soaps with fortune based in religions (like Greenleaf) so I think I'd like the New Zealand version better.
There's some potential but little indication of the "filthy rich" status of the Monreaux family, no glamour or power for a show called this way. Some interesting characters (Ginger my fav) and a lot of hypocrisy under so much faith and "values" (nothing new on the other hand).