• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

First month without Trump

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, on Feb 20th at least. I am loving it! No more opening the news app and reading what horrible thing Trump has said or done today. Politics should be quite predictable and boring, IMO. I am fed up with scandals, selfishness and childish behaviour from the people in charge. Trump isn't the only one, but he's definitely one of the worst. I love *not* hearing about American politics every single day!!!

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i hear he's now wanting to do something now that he got off a 2nd time. get this 60 % of americans wanted him to get the guilty verdict! 60 % that's gonna hopefully help for the future otherwise it's heaven without hearing him and seeing him everyday, ya know he's also banned for life from twitter as well and i assume all social media so he won't be reaching as many people as he was before that's also a blessing

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Like Republicans, Democratic policies decimate the poor, reward the rich, and continue the senseless bombing and pillaging of the Middle East. The failure of neoliberalism is how we ended up with a tyrannical, petulant boor like Trump in the first place. Our system is so systemically broken and corrupt that a con man like Trump was able to bullshit his was into positioning himself as a man of the people. As I predicted, complacency set in the second Joe Biden was elected. Many of Trump's biggest critics are now boasting about disengaging from politics. Apparently, all it takes is a smile and some empty platitudes to make certain people apathetic and oblivious to what's actually going on.

To further show how much the Democrats are like Republicans, they went on vacation without passing a Covid relief bill, and they put a hold on raising the minimum wage. That's why cheering for "predictable and boring" politics ultimately means you're cheering for the oppressive status quo (minus the outrageous and petulant outbursts.) Prior to the election, Biden told his rich donors that "nothing would fundamentally change" under his presidency. Sadly, that's one of the few times he actually told the truth.

The true reality of Biden's first month in office was summed up perfectly by a podcaster named Ryan Knight. He said:

Kids still in cages.
No Medicare for all.
No green new deal.
31 new drilling permits.
Lied about $2000 checks.
No student debt cancellation.
Continuation of endless wars.

Empathy is not back in the White House. A more palatable face of the Oligarchy is.

Last edited:

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i hear he's now wanting to do something now that he got off a 2nd time. get this 60 % of americans wanted him to get the guilty verdict! 60 % that's gonna hopefully help for the future otherwise it's heaven without hearing him and seeing him everyday, ya know he's also banned for life from twitter as well and i assume all social media so he won't be reaching as many people as he was before that's also a blessing
Personally, I don't like the idea of tech companies having unlimited power to censor and ban people like that. It's happening to many leftists as well.

When it comes to speech, I believe in the idea that I may not like what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it. That's why I'm in the camp that believes social media should become a public utility regulated by the government. Currently, the tech companies have all the power when it comes to determining what's "appropriate" and what isn't.

There are laws on the books pertaining to illegal or unprotected speech. I'd rather go by that than the arbitrary decision of a tech billionaire.

Last edited:

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fair enough but he was starting a lot of trouble with the lies and crap he was saying so i get why he was banned. no president it doesn't matter which party he belongs to should be on twitter at all.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Biden just ordered air strikes on Syria. He's keeping immigrant children in cages. He's done weapons deals before Covid relief. He gave up on the fight for a living wage.

Are these the type of predictable, boring, and "scandal-free" positions you're all so happy about?

Last edited:

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Biden just ordered air strikes on Syria. He's keeping immigrant children in cages. He's done weapons deals before Covid relief. He gave up on the fight for a living wage.

Are these the type of predictable, boring, and "scandal-free" positions you're all so happy about?
Yes.

Know why? Because Trump was doing all those same things and he was doing it while make our daily lives a living hell with all his nastiness and drama.

Biden is far from perfect, but at least I don't feel like I'm stuck in an abusive marriage with a man who I can't get away from anymore.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes.

Know why? Because Trump was doing all those same things and he was doing it while make our daily lives a living hell with all his nastiness and drama.

Biden is far from perfect, but at least I don't feel like I'm stuck in an abusive marriage with a man who I can't get away from anymore.
Ah, I see. So you're okay with presidents doing evil shit as long as you don't have to put up with mean tweets and petulance. Got it. Everything's much clearer now.

IMO, America got a divorce, and the person they fell for and married on the rebound turned out to be just as abusive as the previous spouse. But at least he's a sweet talker.

Is it radical to demand more from a president than just civility? Like not bombing people to death, locking up children, or allowing people to languish in poverty?

The alliance of "moderate" Democrats and anti-Trump Republicans proves that both groups care more about decorum and civility than the real world impact of policies.

Last edited:

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Frank Underwood

It's not radical, but America is a place of small, incremental change. Always has been, always will be.

Also, although your criticism of Biden is legitimate, you're not giving him any credit for the improvements he has made either.

Today I watched Scientists and doctors give a briefing about our Covid situation. There were only facts and solutions, no screaming about hoaxes, no mention of bleach or hydroxychloroquine.

Biden has rolled back all of Trump's transphobic policies. That's progress.

We are getting a relief package. Yes, it's not enough, but it's a start

There's no way I would trade Biden for Trump.

Am I satisfied? No. But I am relieved. Very, VERY relieved.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Frank Underwood

It's not radical, but America is a place of small, incremental change. Always has been, always will be.
That's by choice. It's a result of propaganda and fear. Unlike the Nordic countries, Americans are too timid to vote for bold and ambitious change.

Even when we get incremental change, it's usually only in the realm of civil rights. That's great, of course, but we never see progress in the field of income inequality, foreign policy, climate change, immigration, or police brutality. In contrast, the rich have received monumental change at the expense of the poor and middle class for the past 40 years.

The problem is the poor, the Middle East, climate change, and the kids in detention centers can't afford to wait on incremental change that will arrive too late (if at all.)
Also, although your criticism of Biden is legitimate, you're not giving him any credit for the improvements he has made either.
Actually, I made a whole thread about the executive actions he took that were positive. But now he's back to doing the status quo like he promised his donors.

Today I watched Scientists and doctors give a briefing about our Covid situation. There were only facts and solutions, no screaming about hoaxes, no mention of bleach or hydroxychloroquine.
And that's great, but there's also talk that Biden's trying to rush to reopen schools and has dismissed fears of Covid in relation to children.
Biden has rolled back all of Trump's transphobic policies. That's progress.
Yes, although I do understand the fears of transgender athletes competing in their newly assigned gender division. That can bring physical advantages/disadvantages.

We are getting a relief package. Yes, it's not enough, but it's a start
It was originally supposed to be $2000 until he took credit for the $600 under Trump. It was also supposed to be "immediate." Now it's whenever they get around to it.

However, he still found time to illegally and unconstitutionally bomb Syria and make weapons deals. Priorities, I guess.
There's no way I would trade Biden for Trump.

Am I satisfied? No. But I am relieved. Very, VERY relieved.
I don't want either one, but at least people were hyper aware when Trump was in office. Now many of them have gone back to being apathetic.

As long as America is dominated by corporate and imperialistic ghouls, I will never feel relieved. Sadly, I don't think that will ever change.

Last edited:

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The bottom line is the Democrats are on track to squander any good will they have. That could hurt them in the midterms.

And unless Dems want to end up with President Ted Cruz in 2024 (or possibly even four more years of Trump), they should really start demanding more of Biden.

Last edited:

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And unless Dems want to end up with President Ted Cruz in 2024 (or possibly even four more years of Trump), they should really start demanding more of Biden.
I find Cruz's newfound devotion to Trump more than a little hypocritical. Surely he can't expect Trump's endorsement, or is Trump so easily turned by a little praise?

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, Trump IS that easily turned by praise.

But I don't see him endorsing Cruz. He'll want the nomination for himself - or at least for someone in his family or closer to him personally.

A lot can change in 4 years thought. Hoping Trump's popularity with the base will wane with time and the Republicans will end up with a more "normal" nominee.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree that Trump will definitely want the nomination for himself as opposed to endorsing someone else, and I think that includes even his own family. If he’s still able to run in 2024, I think he runs. I just can’t see him not running.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
sadly you are right i would not be surprised if he does run next term. i'm crossing my fingers and toes that by than he will be in jail or broke or both but though there's not a chance in hell of that happening a guy can dream ya know?

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A "normal" Republican will still deny the world peace, economic equality, criminal justice reform, and humane immigration policies. The same goes for "normal" Democrats.

Not that the upper middle class and beyond cares because their needs are met either way. Feeding them empty platitudes is enough to keep them complacent and apathetic.
I find Cruz's newfound devotion to Trump more than a little hypocritical. Surely he can't expect Trump's endorsement, or is Trump so easily turned by a little praise?
It could also be a cynical attempt to gain favor with Trump supporters. Cruz's favorability fell rapidly after his trip to Cancun during the devastating storm in Texas.

My main point is that the refusal of Democrats to help the poor and working class could lead to the rise of another faux anti-establishment demagogue like Trump.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It could also be a cynical attempt to gain favor with Trump supporters. Cruz's favorability fell rapidly after his trip to Cancun during the devastating storm in Texas.
Cynical is right, but I'm not sure Trump supporters would be convinced with out Trump's explicit approval. They turned on Pence quickly enough.