Footballers Wives

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
1601858831122.png

Well! I had not expected Extra Time episodes to overlap with Footballer's Wives stories, even if the title suggests that's exactly what this is all about.
Not only does it overlap, it explains in detail how Bruno and Lucy handle the Conrad/Dr. Arrowsmith aftermath, and how they got away with it.
1601859737273.png

It still doesn't explain the shotgun that doesn't belong to Arrowsmith, or why he would encounter and shoot Conrad in the house he hasn't lived in for several years.
But, whatever. I don't want to think about it anymore.

The first new characters are Garry Ryan's son Oliver and Bruno's grown-up children, Rees and Yasmin. They were mentioned in Footballer's Wives but they didn't show that they contacted their father.
Oliver and his girlfriend (or wife) are into 50 shades of grey stuff.
1601859895221.png

I guess this is supposed to send a message that the spin-off is not to be sniffed at!
Oh dear, oh dear. What have I gotten myself into?

There's more camera movement/zooming and unflattering camera angles, and this cheaper look creates the idea that the characters have become real people who are now featuring in their own reality show.
It's really bizarre, but maybe that makes it the perfect spin-off.

Last edited:

Toni

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

Toni

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
View attachment 23169

Well! I had not expected Extra Time episodes to overlap with Footballer's Wives stories, even if the title suggests that's exactly what this is all about.
Not only does it overlap, it explains in detail how Bruno and Lucy handle the Conrad/Dr. Arrowsmith aftermath, and how they got away with it.
View attachment 23171
It still doesn't explain the shotgun that doesn't belong to Arrowsmith, or why he would encounter and shoot Conrad in the house he hasn't lived in for several years.
But, whatever. I don't want to think about it anymore.

The first new characters are Garry Ryan's son Oliver and Bruno's grown-up children, Rees and Yasmin. They were mentioned in Footballer's Wives but they didn't show that they contacted their father.
Oliver and his girlfriend (or wife) are into 50 shades of grey stuff.
View attachment 23172
I guess this is supposed to send a message that the spin-off is not to be sniffed at!
Oh dear, oh dear. What have I gotten myself into?

There's more camera movement/zooming and unflattering camera angles, and this cheaper look creates the idea that the characters have become real people who are now featuring in their own reality show.
It's really bizarre, but maybe that makes it the perfect spin-off.

MORE PENISES!! :jolly::jolly::jolly::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
Episodes 2 and 3 are not very interesting because it's still about Conrad's death and the end of Harley and Shannon's marriage. I presume these episodes aired before season 5 of FW, but now it feels like old news.
I hope Bruno and Lucy will fade into the background because I want new stories with new characters, and some football would be nice too.
There's nothing high-stakes going on at the moment, Oliver Ryan is a lazy, spoilt and self-destructive cokehead and his father is about to cut his allowance entirely.
It really only serves to showcase Annika's dedication and resourcefulness because as Oliver's girlfriend she doesn't want to miss out on the Ryan fortune.
Garry Ryan owns some kind of music business (like EMPIRE) but we only get to see his office and no "business", which adds to the cheaper feel of this spin-off.
Annika persuades Garry not to give up on his son, and of course the best way to persuade the horny old rockstar is to shag him.
So, basically a remake of Tanya Turner pleasing Frank Laslett when Jason Turner's position at Earl's Park was about to take a nosedive.

AND...she's Tanya Turner sister! Yes, a happy soap sister! Amber already hates her.
1602082687060.png

A drugged up and boozed out Oliver crawls onto the bed, not realizing that his father is there too.
Shocking!

Rees and Yasmin are (sort of) settling in with the Milligan's, and because Bruno is only friendly and generous towards his daughter, Lucy begins to suspect there's something "more" going on.
Bruno explains that he hates Rees because he reminds him of himself, or what he could have been if he hadn't become a star footballer.
Rees is also very much into drugs (not very original) and his little twat half-sister Angelica secretly takes his pills because she thinks it's candy.
Angelica's birthday party looks opulent by Extra Time standards, there's a DJ and Seb Webb in a big bear suit. Seb Webb is also very interested in Yasmin but she keeps putting him off.

It's not great and rather pointless, actually, but in a strange way there's something mesmerizing about their unapologetic attempt to milk the Extra Time out of the Footballer's Wives.

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
There's nothing high-stakes going on at the moment
Maybe that's not mandatory for good soap, but the fact that these current spin-off events won't affect the cross over-characters on the parent show takes a lot of fun out of it.
It's interesting that Garry Ryan - who didn't cross over from but to Footballer's Wives - became a much more enigmatic character as the murderous new club owner of Earl's Park. He almost looks pathetic in Extra Time, and the Rampant Sound company-fortune-empire fails to intrigue me.
Tanya clashes with a secretary/Garry's former lover and it's just so…..nothing. I don't know how to describe it, maybe that's why there's only 3 Extra Time reviews on IMDB?
1602278146977.png

It's common practice in Extra Time to have the picture slightly obscured by an irrelevant object, presumably to create a voyeuristic vibe.
It totally worked for a spontaneous sex scene between Bruno and soon-to-be-ex-wife Joly Salter. And the sound of slobber and lips smacking is quite impressive!

The Salters are stereotyped as characters from the wrong side of the tracks but overall I find them very watchable.
1602280458847.png

Bruno kicks Rees out of the house after the pills accident and the boy calls his mother for help. She returns from Spain to give a Bruno a lecture on "how to treat your children" and she also agrees to sign the divorce papers for £150.000 and then sod off back to Spain.
But she's sidetracked by the London shops and interesting room service and her daughter Yasmin has already started plotting against Lucy, hoping to reunite Bruno with his real family.
Like I said, this isn't going anywhere unless Extra Time plays out in a different timeline or story universe, but at least it's entertaining enough to watch.

Cokehead Oliver Ryan (played by Travis Oliver, yes it's another actor-character cross over name) suddenly decides that he doesn't need his father's money anymore and he's going to build himself an empire! Organize exclusive parties for the super-rich! Well, I wonder how that's going to look on Extra Time, but since he doesn't even know how to organize his balls I'm afraid it's going to be big fiasco.

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
Because of his continuing involvement with (now) ex-wife Joly, the situation between Bruno and Lucy escalates and Lucy takes Angelica to Spain. Bruno follows her and the rest of their story happens in Footballer's Wives (I think!).

And this is how Extra Time really begins in episode 7, with Seb Webb as the only original Footballer's Wives character. He doesn't play football in these episodes but his star-footballer-status remains relevant.
Courtesy of the paparazzi, a picture of him and Yasmin features on the front page to inform the viewers of the new star-couple romance.
This results in a violent confrontation between Seb and Yasmin's gangster boyfriend from the wrong side of the tracks.

But money talks, and an expensive sports car persuades gangster Cash Brown to back off - for now.

It's also the introduction of Yasmin's friend Channel, a spunky black girl with a big mouth.

Joly is running the club while Bruno's in Spain and she takes her job very seriously.
Son Rees starts working in the kitchen but head chef Matt Bryant gives him a hard time, however, it's the same head chef who comes to his rescue after Cash Brown has locked Rees in the walk-in freezer.
It doesn't take long before a romance between Joly and Matt develops and if I have to be honest I think they're more likeable than any of the couples on Footballer's Wives.

Anika (as in "Anee-ka", not "A-neeka" as I would say it) has chosen to be with Garry, and Oliver and his friend are developing their new company, sort of a prime membership for party/hotel/event stuff – it's all a bit vague, but whatever.
And of course these things have to happen in Bruno's club, thus intertwining Oliver & Co with the Salters (and the possibility for Cash to make things really messy).
So far so good, but then Anika has a change of heart because she can't stand Garry's perversions anymore i.e. having sex in the car park and being watched by others (and filmed by assistant Michelle).

1602801038714.png

There's something unsettling about this scene (like Jackie and Garry's LSD enhanced Donkey Dance) and yet not quite as intriguing as it could have been.
It all looks a bit hazy and there's no time for these scenes to truly sink in, but it's mostly Garry's cheerful and gullible character that takes the sting out of this perverted relationship.
Anika begs Oliver to take her back but he's having none of it. "You could have shagged all of Earl's Park, but not my father" - which she already did when they were still in a relationship. Admittedly, to make things better for her and Oliver.
It's also an odd reference to the parent show because Oliver and Anika have never been involved with footballer storylines. To me, it feels as if Extra Time happens in a completely different part of England.

Anika goes back to Garry and he even proposes to her. She plans on having his baby (the new heir to the Ryan fortune) but thanks to vindictive Michelle, Oliver gets wind of it and lures Anika back to his flat in order to seduce her. Anika immediately caves in and then the story takes an unexpected turn when Michelle literally pops up to take a bedroom snapshot (she also has a key to Oliver's flat because…??).
Since Oliver could lose his inheritance to his future baby half-brother, you'd expect him and Michelle to be in cahoots but this is not the case at all, and he snatches the camera out of her hands.
From then on, Anika continues her something-something plan for Garry ("I'm so close to the jackpot now!") while she and Oliver become secret lovers.
My patience regarding this ping-pong of relationships is wearing thin, and that's saying something considering that it's all happening at a breakneck pace. Nevertheless, it also confirms that - no matter how despicable these characters are - Anika and Oliver truly love eachother.

Every now and then Michelle or Anika mentions a file or contract to illustrate that Rampant Sounds is like, you know, a business of sorts.
Anika usually wins during the catty exchanges, and the wedding plans infuriate the washed-up has-been lover.

Not only has she turned her living room into a shrine to the younger rock-version of Garry Ryan, she also pulls a Katherine Wentworth by throwing food at the screen that shows the Garry/Anika sex recording.
The jealous ex-lover teetering on the brink of madness is very familiar territory, but Michelle's story is completely devoid of tension or suspense. Probably because they didn't bother to give her a personality, or because there's zero chemistry between her and Garry or Anika.

I don't mean to go on and on about Extra Time's peculiar filming technique, but I need to mention one scene that perfectly shows just how peculiar it can be sometimes.
Anika is having a secret phone conversation with Oliver to arrange another rendezvous, but her enemy is only a covid-social-distance away from her desk.
Michelle is trying hard to overhear the conversation, but since everything else inside the building is dead silent (hilariously juxtaposed by the big Rampant Sounds logo) Anika may as well use a megaphone to keep her conversation "private".
And it's also Michelle's body language that reminds me of children's programmes wherein actors have to act in such an obvious way that it's easy for children to understand what their intentions are.

Anyway, Michelle completes her story arc with the traditional tampering-with-the-brakes which almost kills Garry, but Michelle saves him Bobby Ewing-style and she ends up on top of the car instead. Swan Song with a twist, as it were.
Oliver is the other casualty, and a completely freaked out Anika (which shows Georgina Mellor's better acting skills) dials the UK version of 911.
"Help! I need an ambulance".
Garry approaches her and calmly says "I think you need more than that, love".

And for the first time he sounds like the sinister villain from Footballer's Wives.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
Ollie (Oliver) has survived the cliffhanger crash but he's kinda brain-dead and his father thinks it's better to take him off life support.
But then Jeanette Dunkley waltzes in, does a little bit of SM on comatose Ollie and voila - a miraculous resurrection!
Anika and Oliver think she has The Gift and because they're shrewd and opportunistic characters they persuade Jeanette to share her healing powers with the rest of the world e.g. books, DVDs, private sessions, demonstration tours etc.

Jeanette is more dumb than evil and thanks to a few fake-sick people hired by Anika & Ollie she actually starts to believe that she can save the incurables.

There's no attempt from the show itself to take it seriously or to come up with an unexpected twist, and there's nothing gratifying about the fact that Awakenings With Jeanette falls apart in the most simple and obvious way possible - like Trisha Watson and her fake-cancer scheme in the parent show. Incidentally, Trisha makes a guest appearance in Extra Time because Shannon believes that Jeanette can help her.
Nevertheless, dirty nurse Dunkley is one of the best FW characters so even if the story sucks she's still very entertaining to watch.

Darius Fry's storyline in Footballers' Wives ended in the hospital (the "accident" arranged by Earl's Park boss Garry Ryan) when he heard on the news that his career was over.
Well, he happens to be in the same hospital as Ollie (this shouldn't be surprising and yet it is) and now we get to see how he's coping. Not very good, but then he meets Jeanette Dunkley and she is the first woman who manages to ehm…inspire him since the Spain-rape debacle.
1603469919598.png

Actor Peter Ash is like a little ball of energy and all his scenes are great.
1603469774266.png

Darius' career may be over but he's still a wealthy man, and after Jeanette has been exposed as a fraud (which is not entirely true, come to think of it) he and Dunkley leave for Barbados to live it up and (hopefully) live happily ever after.
It's kind of ironic and also satisfying that these two FW underdogs would get the loveliest happy ending.

The biggest part of season 2 focuses on the Salters and how they form a new family with Joly's new husband Matt Bryant.
There are plenty of scenes that seem way too optimistic ("we're really going to do this, aren't we"), and in true soap fashion their happiness is constantly being challenged and overshadowed by various misunderstandings and secrets from the past.
I've never seen any of the UK soaps but I imagine it's something like the Salters storyline.
It just soap-bubbles along and you simply tune in to see what will happen next. If Footballers' Wives was the prime time soap then Extra Time is more like a daily soap.
From that point of view it's not inferior to its parent show, just different.

The romance between Yasmin and footballer Seb Webb fizzles out but Seb isn't really aware of that.
Apparently, the bond between Yasmin and former lover Cash Brown is stronger than I initially thought, and even though it's not particularly convincing it only makes sense that they would bring him back into the story.
Because Cash is a villain with an Achilles heel: he truly loves Yasmin.
Which means that Seb has to go, which means there's going to be yet another unceremonious exit for one of the Earl's Park players. Who knew football was such a deadly sport.
1603469845372.png

But before he's killed by Cash he goes to visit his father Roger Webb who's in the hospital after the shooting during Shannon's party.
It makes perfect sense that this didn't happen in Footballers' Wives because Roger refuses to see him. Of course he couldn't see his son even if he wanted to.
Seb also buys an expensive antique necklace for Yasmin, but Cash nicks it after he's killed Seb and then pretends he's bought the necklace himself.
However, Seb's taken out insurance on the necklace - a fact that comes to light in the final episode and ultimately proves that Cash was the killer (and then also framed and killed his friend Woody).

Yasmin's brother Rees has his romantic storylines too, but it's lighthearted filler and there's nothing interesting about the two female friends. I found Chanel mega-annoying.

There are also two runaway kids in season 2, the first one to make a run for it is Angelica after her mother tells her that she's going to have a baby, and Angelica Milligan fears for her position as The Big Favourite.
The second one is Matt Bryant's son Rory when he overhears that his parents are actually his aunt and uncle.
Back story: Rory's real mother/Matt's first wife was killed in a car accident, and Matt killed - well, manslaughtered - the man who was responsible for the accident. He served 7 years in prison for it, hence why his baby son was raised by his sister-in-law.
Anyway, they're all frantically searching for the missing boy and it's typical that Cash Brown (of all people) should spot him and save the day.

Cash is also being very helpful during Joly and Matt's wedding day and of course he does all that to make a good impression on Yasmin and her family, but the very idea that he wants to impress - as opposed to the lowlife from season 1 who only threatened and bullied to get what he wanted - indicates some sort of a character development. But as soon as the going gets tough he relapses into his psychopathic state.

Ollie and Anika mastermind another brilliant business venture in order to build their empire: Eager Beevor Inc. This brand new company provides the super-rich with a special sexy cleaning service i.e. (half-)naked hunks with a duster.
Lucky for them it proves to be a very in demand fetish, but not lucky for me because it's just as stupid as Shannon's "Adopt A Granny" charity storyline.
And even if there was potential (like, seriously kinky and even slightly sinister) then it's killed by the lighthearted and comedic tone of it.
Tanya Turner had her fair share of OTT storylines but it was always played for high-stakes, you never get that from Anika & the Ryans.
Nevertheless, one of the customers is the Slavonic tycoon's wife Vanya (doing a thick Zsa Zsa Gabor accent even though she looks very French rather than East-European) and there's something very familiar and also mildly intriguing about her.

Extra Time doesn't have a huge cast so I wonder why they couldn't simply integrate them with the Salters and create more complex and twisty storylines.
It happens one time though, but in a very unusual and most unexpected way.
What's Cash Brown doing in Anika's office, well he's walking into Joly's restaurant next to Anika's desk!

This gives a whole new meaning to "cheap production" but it's also one of the most thrillingly bizarre goofs I've ever seen.

The spin-off ends with a big fight between Yasmin and Cash (she's pregnant with his child and she was going to surprise him, but then discovered the insurance note under a pile of unopened mail) and there's definitely an effort to make it look as spectacular as possible. It also looks a bit unintentionally hilarious but I don't have a problem with that.

And that's it!

James from London

Telly Talk Superstar
Reaction score
Medals
I was working with Chardonnay when she filmed that. Apparently he was very hungover. During the show, she very cleverly mentioned how much she wanted to work with him again cos their time on FW was kind of cut short, and the next thing you know she’s playing his ex-wife on Hollyoaks.

(I don’t know if it’s public news or not, but Chardonnay had her second **** just a few days ago.)

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
Chardonnay had her second **** just a few days ago
A quick bing search unraveled the asterisks mystery. Internet + clever people = magic.

The only other FW related interview I could find was Tanya Turner talking about Tanya Turner. I think it's also on the DVD.
No interviews with Ollie and Anika, but Extra Time is an obscure oddity.
I saw a clip of Travis Oliver and...Helena Bonham Carter (I think) and I thought it was The Crown.
Ben "Bruno Milligan" Richards talks about his American/Australian roles and Peter "Darius Fry" Ash talks about acting (and not acting) in general.
Ben "Conrad Gates" Price is leaving Coronation Street.
They all seem like very nice people.

I'm sure Joan Collins had talked about Footballers' Wives but when I searched for it I found her in an episode of Roseanne (mostly "trope" humour and therefore not super-funny).

James from London

Telly Talk Superstar
Reaction score
Medals
A lot of them have turned up in Enders, of course.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
I watched these 3 snippets and I also watched my own reaction to it.
I've never seen any of the UK soaps but I imagine it's something like the Salters storyline.
No, it's definitely not the same as these Eastenders videos.

The videos I just watched are quite similar to the US daytime soaps, imho.
It doesn't take very much to intrigue me, soap-wise, but even in the scenes that are high-octane there's some kind of monotone narrative creeping in - not because of the actors or the story, but the way it's filmed. Especially the second video (a confrontation between gay enemies, no less) made me zone out pretty fast.

One could argue that Sons & Daughters was a daytime soap too, but there's something more vibrant and "non-stop" about it. Maybe it had something to do with the excessive use of props - eating, pouring drinks, doing the dishes, characters using the entire set instead of remaining in the same position to play out whatever it was that needed to be played out.

Of course it would be ridiculous to rate Eastenders based on these snippets alone so that's not what I'm going to do. And I suspect that the UK soaps looked different in the 1970s and 1980s. When someone mentions Coronation Street I "see" lots of shop & pub scenes, like Number 96.