• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Former EastEnders and Shelley star Hywel Bennett has died at the age of 73

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Actor Hywel Bennett, known for his roles in Shelley and EastEnders, has died aged 73, his agent has confirmed.

The Carmathenshire-born actor's roles included 1960s films The Family Way, with Hayley and John Mills, and The Virgin Soldiers, with Lynn Redgrave.

But it was in the long-running sitcom Shelley that he made his name.

Bennett - whose other television roles included Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Pennies from Heaven - played the title role in the series.

It ran from 1979 to 1984 and told the story of an unemployed man living in a London bedsit. He later reprised the role in The Return of Shelley, which ran from 1988 to 1992.

He joined EastEnders in 2003 as Jack Dalton, a gangland boss who ended up being killed in an act of revenge.

He also featured in episodes of Last of the Summer Wine and in the Dennis Potter mini-series Karaoke and Cold Lazarus.

Bennett appeared as Peter Baxter in The Bill for five years. His last known role was as Reggie Conway in The Last Detective in 2007.

He had one daughter, Emma, with former wife Cathy McGowan and was godfather to Crispian Mills, son of Hayley and lead singer of rock band Kula Shaker.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Despite watching it as a boy, I'm darned if I can remember anything about Shelley other than that cracking theme:

I do recall enjoying it though, and I see the entire series is being released as a set in November. Maybe I'm due a revisit sometime.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm darned if I can remember anything about Shelley
I can't place him on Eastenders, but I remember watching and loving Shelley. It's been a long time, and I remember (or at least I think I do) the character was very sarcastic.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I remember him from Tinker, tailor, Soldier Spy with wonderful Alex Guiness
RIP Hywel Bennett

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I can't place him on Eastenders
Oh, he was in it for a three month stint and his character in that was revealed to have been behind the attempted murder of Den Watts. He got bumped off by Den's son, Dennis, after revealing that Den wasn't actually dead this time yet.

Did you like him on The Bill, Ome?