Gary & Valene Appreciation Thread

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Thank you for sharing those caps @Barbara Fan :)
She was lovely in deed and so very young. I guess from what you told me about the show this must have been filmed when Joan was around 30.

So how many episodes did Joan do of that show?

Also I love how she prepares so throughly for each new role she takes on. So I am wondering if you found her performance in that role any different to how she portrays Valene?
So far she has only appeared in one epiosde - but im only on S1 and according to Wiki she has appeared in 3 in total epiosdes of Rockford so i will post when i get there
Its so long since I have seen KL - she plays a character called Barbara! and this is from Imdb

Rockford reluctantly takes a unique assignment: a beautiful mystery woman wants him to find her, to see if someone she fears could also track her down. With a check poised to bounce, the ex-con PI needs the retainer to balance his always-challenged checking account. When Rockford checks with a local police department, he worms out a chilling piece of data: she's been dating Denver Mafia capo-regime, hot-tempered Ralph Correll. But the more Barbara Kelbaker strings along Jim Rockford, the more he's charmed into helping the desperate 30 something.

JR Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
That is an excellent question!
I think Danny was probably a more realistic bad guy than Jill was. I think it's more common with men that are abusive and controlling towards their wives in the way that Danny was than with women who goes completely psycho like Jill did.

In fact I think Jill probably had some sort of diagnosis but I am not sure which one. :think: Since her behavior the way she changed into another version of herself and committed the crime and then turned back into herself and tried to cover it up. That part actually sounds a bit schizofrenic. She also lied, she was disillusional, she thought Gary still loved her. She planned to hurt Gary when she cut his saddle. She called the school and said her husband had kids since before that she was enrolling. I think her behavior went beyond just being in denial about Gary dumping her. It was sick. So yeah I wonder which diagnosis the writers thought that Jill had?

If any...

Then as for the characters, when Jill first showed up she was mostly likable. Her only flaw was going after married men, first Mack and then Gary. But Abby started out that way too and she's one of my favorite characters. At first Jill also seemed like she was intelligent. Yes she and Peter lied about Sylvia being his mother to get access to Greg's money. They had a revenge motif going on but I always thought Peter was the driving force of that. Or could it be that Jill was the mastermind behind all that too?

But yeah at first she seemed to have a better idea of what was wrong or right. It was only after she lost Peter that she started to get progressively more unstable.

Danny started out likable too but his true colors were shown earlier than Jill's. So I think when it comes down to it I might have liked Jill more as a character. Even though I do think she was more evil than Danny and became in fact more unlikable than he was. Or what do you think, who was worst?

View attachment 15347

View attachment 15349

View attachment 15348
See how nice Jill was, she even bought Gary that red pajamas for his birthday! :lol:
Jill reminded me of Katherine on Dallas. Both started out as likeable characters and after they lost someone they loved they completely cracked up.

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
some more caps of Joan

also in the series is Priscilla Pointer - sitting in the same cafe in Santa Monica where Miss Ellie is having a coffee and who walks in but Clayton (they called it Galveston) from s5

love BF x

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I figured I'd bump up this thread today for Joan's birthday! :balloon:

So here's a couple of photos of her:

79e81430b50ff876ab334070e3b717e1--s-style-knots-landing.jpg

val4.jpg

klaaa.jpg

367e4034f1f47332b5c46b3618c39c68.jpg

with Ted

1_43a86414940b7b3f040e6fa4771949cb.jpg

with Donna and Michele

484801747-1024x1024.jpg

with Alec and Julie

JoanREX0312_468x703.jpg

and finally one of Gary & Val. :)

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Then today it's Ted's birthday! :hbb:

So here's a couple of photos of him:

s-l300.jpg

q_w9cbwmwxug9ecvzkdvumtpwso500x639.jpg

X78vayOSyfqLF5OSCrXFLtl6mdE@500x705.jpg

ewingsb.jpg

with Joan and Donna (publicity for Knots best love triangle!)

01e4636a88ddee29d398b6beb724f43e--knots-landing.jpg

with James and Lisa. (The Ciji plot)

1130_0015__20151015124758.jpg

with Lisa and Donna (after Lisa came back as Cathy)

KN9.jpg

with Joan from the Knots Reunion in 2005. :)

Mustard

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
I've just started another marathon of Knots Landing. I haven't done one all the way through for a few years now. I'm also including 11 Dallas episodes as a part of the marathon.

Reunion (Parts 1 and 2)
Secrets
Return Engagements ("Knots Landing Episode Zero" as David Jacobs called it)
Season 1 of Knots Landing
No More Mister Nice Guy (Parts 1 and 2)
Episodes 1-9 of Season 2 of Knots Landing
End of the Road (Part 2)
Episodes 10-18 of Season 2 of Knots Landing
Episodes 1-3 of Season 3 of Knots Landing
The Split and Five Dollars a Barrel
Episodes 4-22 of Season 3 of Knots Landing
Episodes 1-5 of Season 4 of Knots Landing
Jock's Will and New Beginnings
Episodes 7-22 of Season 4 of Knots Landing
Season 5 of Knots Landing
Season 6 of Knots Landing
Episode 1 of Season 7 of Knots Landing
The Family Ewing
Episodes 2-30 of Season 7 of Knots Landing
Seasons 8-14 of Knots Landing
Knots Landing: Back to the Cul-de-sac
Rewatch Pilot Episode of Knots Landing

Last edited:

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
That's cool. I hope you will enjoy your rewatch @Mustard :)

I rewatched Knots back in 2017-2018. I didn't do a marathon per say but more like one or two episodes/day. I really enjoyed it. :)

Anyway I didn't watch the Dallas episodes before I went into Knots but instead started with the pilot episode. It was only after it was pointed out to me that you could watch Dallas and then go into Knots that it occurred to me that it probably would have been better to do it that way so I wouldn't have missed any of Gary & Val's story, which started on Dallas. :)

So yeah I can see why David Jacobs referred to "Return Engagements" as episode zero of Knots!

Gst00.jpg

This photo kept appearing in the tv guide adds when Knots was being rerun in Sweden back in 1996-1997. :)

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Thank you for the photos of Joan @Barbara Fan :)

Did you find any more guest appearances on that show?

I've bought an old movie on DVD with Joan called "Frogs" but I haven't watched it yet! :popcorn:

So is anyone up for discussing some more about Gary & Val?

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Frogs would be classified as "so bad it's good," kind of like Empire of the Ants, the magnus opus starring Joan Collins.

Looking at the photos Karin posted, that 2005 photo of Ted and Joan (from the reunion special) was taken in front of the infamous 'seventh house,' the one cul-de-sac house they never filmed around or depicted onscreen.

Caproni

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm a late bloomer to this discussion, but I figured everyone wouldn't mind if I jumped on in and give my thoughts on this topic, too. Gary and Val are one of soap land's super-couples, and they're probably my favorite couple overall, especially when discussing the Romeo and Juliet slant that they serviced for the cul-de-sac.

My favorite scene involving Gary and Val is the same a some of the rest of you: I absolutely love what the writers and Joan Van Ark and Ted Shackelford did for the scene at Val and Ben's wedding.

GARY
Can I kiss the bride?

VAL (hesitating)
Well, Gary, I'm afraid that would cause a terrible scandal.

GARY (kissing Val's hand and tearing up)
I hope you're happier with Ben than you've ever been in your whole life.

Yes, I know I might have the dialogue a little off, but the point I'm making is this scene is so heart-warming. It makes me choke up every single time I see it. I get all choked up. This scene testifies to the fact that Gary is still hopelessly in love with Val, and while Val has tried to move on with her life and marry Ben, we all know she still saves the entirety of her heart for Gary. It's a pivotal and tear-jerking moment for two of soap land's most popular star-crossed lovers. It seems so human and original, too. Knots Landing done moments like these exceptionally well. That's why we love it.

upload_2020-7-13_10-26-36.jpeg