George Michael Dead at 53

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Singer George Michael has died aged 53, his publicist has said.

The star, who launched his career with Wham in the 1980s and later continued his success as a solo performer, is said to have "passed away peacefully at home".

Thames Valley Police said South Central Ambulance Service attended a property in Goring in Oxfordshire at 13:42 GMT.

Police say there were no suspicious circumstances.

Michael, who was born Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou in north London, sold more than 100m albums throughout a career spanning almost four decades.

In a statement, the star's publicist said: "It is with great sadness that we can confirm our beloved son, brother and friend George passed away peacefully at home over the Christmas period.

"The family would ask that their privacy be respected at this difficult and emotional time. There will be no further comment at this stage."

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I can not wait to see the back of this year!! That's sad, I was I guess a casual fan of George Michael. I own his greatest hits and listen rarely when the moment is right. I always liked him though. The first song I heard this Christmas morning was Last Christmas and it put a smile on my face.
I really liked how he handled the whole public toilet thing and loved the video for the song Outside.

R.I.P George...

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
2016.... I just cannot wait for this horrible year to be over. Not that there are any guarantees that 2017 will be better. It could get worse with all bad decisions that were made this year.

RIP!

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm so sad about this. Madonna's True Blue album and George's Faith album were probably the two cassettes I played the most in the 80's. They came when I was just starting to really form my own opinions about what sort of music appealed to me (and not coincidentally first understanding I was gay). George was one of the first hardcore crushes I remember having.

So talented. RIP George.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I also think that Careless Whisper is an underrated pop masterpiece. That Sax solo and "Never gonna dance again. Guilty feet have got no rhythm" genius!

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i've liked him since i think either Faith came out in (1987) and that i think was the 1st time i may have heard of it. i don't remember Wham being big when they were. honestly i've heard some of his albums and honestly i think his best was his 1st one. that one my brother had on cassette and we played the shit out of that for years. i listened to it in the past couple of years and it still holds up so i was VERY happy on that. sorry to hear that he died that i was honestly shocked when i saw someone posted that he died. as for Madonna i do like her music too, but the last thing i loved she did was Evita and before that counting music she's written was a song she did in (1994) i forget the name of the song but it for the film "With Honors. i can' t stand anything she did after Evita Love her 80's stuff though

Gabriel Maxwell

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
I recall being an annoyed MTV-loving teenager when I heard of his decision not to make any music videos in 1990, back in the day when MTV actually played videos most of the day. I thought, how pretentious of him.

Then I heard 'Praying for Time' and the rest of his 'Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1' album and I was blown away. Such an incredible talent. Not only as a singer, but a songwriter, too.

And then before Christmas, he did make a video for 'Freedom '90', one of his most iconic videos (great Christmas for pop music, by the way, Madonna, Whitney, Kylie, Pet Shop Boys, Seal and many, many more, they all released great, fun stuff that Christmas).

It's sad such creative souls bring beauty to this ugly world and have to pay for it by being restless or downright tortured and leave too early. Michael, Whitney, Prince and now George. All preventable, untimely and unnecessary deaths. Bless Madonna's resilient heart.

One more thing - aren't the lyrics of the song I posted above incredibly timely at the sunset of this disastrous 2016? It could be an anthem of this age, if 2016 was indeed only a prologue for the impending doom that awaits beyond.

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Good grief. I awoke this afternoon (Christmas leftovers are so good the next day) after a nap only to wake to the afternoon NEWS that George had passed away - was I dreaming? Man I just wish 2016 can be over already. In your honour George I played "Careless Whisper" this afternoon. You may have left this world but your talent lives on forever in the music you created for us to enjoy. RIP.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm still completely shocked by this, so many of the big stars of the 80s gone this year, from musicians, comedians, actors and TV presenters.

It's difficult to sum up Michael's work without going into 50 minutes of music.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Sadly, this is the death that has shocked me the least this year. It was only a matter of time. :(

He had a great voice. Fantastic and Make It Big were a big part of my soundtrack to the mid-Eighties.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
One more thing - aren't the lyrics of the song I posted above incredibly timely at the sunset of this disastrous 2016?
Yes, absolutely! I'd also forgotten how great this one is, it's sent shivers down my spine.