Glen Campbell has died aged 81

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Rhinestone Cowboy singer Glen Campbell has died at the age of 81 after "a long and courageous battle" with Alzheimer's disease, his family said.

"It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our beloved husband, father, grandfather," their statement said.

The legendary guitarist announced his Alzheimer's diagnosis in 2011.

A self-taught prodigy, he rose from a poor rural childhood to release over 70 albums and sell 45 million records.

He was credited with paving the way for other country crossover artists such as Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers.

The son of a sharecropper, Glen Travis Campbell was born in Arkansas on 22 April 1936, the seventh of 12 children.

His first guitar cost $7 and he taught himself to play.

Campbell made his name in the music business as one of the top session guitarists in Los Angeles, and helped hone producer Phil Spector's famous Wall of Sound technique.

He toured for three months in 1965 with the Beach Boys, filling in for singer Brian Wilson after he suffered a breakdown.

Campbell played on hundreds of tracks including Daydream Believer by The Monkees, You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling by The Righteous Brothers, Strangers in the Night by Frank Sinatra and Viva Las Vegas by Elvis Presley.

But Campbell always wanted to make it under his own name.

After a string of flops, in 1967 he finally found his distinctive country pop sound with hits like Gentle On My Mind and By the Time I Get to Phoenix.

Wichita Lineman went to No 1 in the US, won a Grammy and became much requested by US soldiers fighting in Vietnam.

By the end of the 1960s, Campbell was the fastest rising star in American pop with his own TV show, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour.

He also picked up a starring role alongside John Wayne in the original version of True Grit.

The peak of Glen Campbell's career was in 1975 when he topped the charts around the world with Rhinestone Cowboy.

Despite another smash hit in 1977 - Southern Nights - his private life was in turmoil.

Divorce, drink and drugs saw the clean-cut all-American hero fall from grace.

A tempestuous relationship with 21-year-old country star Tanya Tucker was front-page news.

Despite a relapse in 2003, when he was arrested for drunk-driving and his police mug shot was shown around the world, the last two decades had been more settled.

He remarried, started a new family and renewed his Christian faith, while a new generation discovered his music.

"I got down on my knees and prayed. And, eventually, I got rid of those demons," he said in an interview.

Like his friend Johnny Cash, Campbell released acclaimed new albums with younger musicians, covering songs by contemporary artists like U2 and The Foo Fighters.

In 2005 he was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40870474

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
By chance, I've sort of fallen in love with this song over the last few weeks:

Canon

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Rhinestone Cowboy singer Glen Campbell has died at the age of 81 after "a long and courageous battle" with Alzheimer's disease, his family said.

"It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our beloved husband, father, grandfather," their statement said.

The legendary guitarist announced his Alzheimer's diagnosis in 2011.

A self-taught prodigy, he rose from a poor rural childhood to release over 70 albums and sell 45 million records.

He was credited with paving the way for other country crossover artists such as Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers.

The son of a sharecropper, Glen Travis Campbell was born in Arkansas on 22 April 1936, the seventh of 12 children.

His first guitar cost $7 and he taught himself to play.

Campbell made his name in the music business as one of the top session guitarists in Los Angeles, and helped hone producer Phil Spector's famous Wall of Sound technique.

He toured for three months in 1965 with the Beach Boys, filling in for singer Brian Wilson after he suffered a breakdown.

Campbell played on hundreds of tracks including Daydream Believer by The Monkees, You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling by The Righteous Brothers, Strangers in the Night by Frank Sinatra and Viva Las Vegas by Elvis Presley.

But Campbell always wanted to make it under his own name.

After a string of flops, in 1967 he finally found his distinctive country pop sound with hits like Gentle On My Mind and By the Time I Get to Phoenix.

Wichita Lineman went to No 1 in the US, won a Grammy and became much requested by US soldiers fighting in Vietnam.

By the end of the 1960s, Campbell was the fastest rising star in American pop with his own TV show, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour.

He also picked up a starring role alongside John Wayne in the original version of True Grit.

The peak of Glen Campbell's career was in 1975 when he topped the charts around the world with Rhinestone Cowboy.

Despite another smash hit in 1977 - Southern Nights - his private life was in turmoil.

Divorce, drink and drugs saw the clean-cut all-American hero fall from grace.

A tempestuous relationship with 21-year-old country star Tanya Tucker was front-page news.

Despite a relapse in 2003, when he was arrested for drunk-driving and his police mug shot was shown around the world, the last two decades had been more settled.

He remarried, started a new family and renewed his Christian faith, while a new generation discovered his music.

"I got down on my knees and prayed. And, eventually, I got rid of those demons," he said in an interview.

Like his friend Johnny Cash, Campbell released acclaimed new albums with younger musicians, covering songs by contemporary artists like U2 and The Foo Fighters.

In 2005 he was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40870474

Sadly these articles will surely fail to mention the absolute classic he wrote for the Rambo Twins...

DR11.jpg

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not really one of my ultra-faves but someone who seems always to have been there. Sad to see him go.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Very sad to hear this. Was listening to Rhinestone Cowboy a couple of days ago. Always reminds me of the Dallas rodeos. RIP Glen.

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I heard this sad news that Glen Campbell had died, knowing that he had been ill for a while now but not that it would be gone so fast. I'm not a big fan of Glen's music but he certainly made a lot of beautiful songs and albums that i really love to listen to, and Glen had also a great singing voice to listen to.

To me, Glen will certainly be always one of the biggest country legends we've ever had, and his music will definitely live on forever in our harts.

Rest in Peace Glen, you will be missed. :rip: :(

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
RIP Glenn Campbell - a great voice

i bought this in 2013/4 - one of his last CDs and always played on R2

and ever since Miss Ellie bumped into Clayton in Galveston, this took on new meaning

Ms Southworth

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"Rhinestone Cowboy" is still played on radio stations all over world even in 2017! :clap: It's turned into an evergreen, IMO! :hat:

So sad to hear that you have passed on, Glenn Campbell! :( My sincere condolences to your family and loved ones! :kiss:

:rip: R.I.P. Glenn Campbell :rip: