"Hag Horrors"

Snarky's Ghost

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
STRAIT-JACKET is one of those films that is far more fun to think about, or read about, than actually watch. It's remarkable just how poor it is -- not even something strong and definite, like "bad". I know some profess to enjoy it has a campy romp, but I don't see it. It has its moments, but they're fleeting; mostly, it's drab and inept. Other than the brazen chutzpah of a 60 year old Joan, sashaying around like the hottest young thing in f*** me pumps.
Castle supposedly wanted it to be his masterpiece -- the star of BABY JANE and the wrier of PSYCHO (the book, unfortunately, not the movie) and yet he turns in the tackiest, laziest film he'd ever done -- and that's no small feat, given how meager the talents of William Castle were.

So many scenes just trail off with pointless lines like, "You understand, don't you?," in classic B-movie stupidity.

And no subjective camera leading into the prologue murder of Heath Barkley?? Talk about a director not being engaged!

1597507085950.png

Caproni

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think I'd call it "Hornet's Nest" like the evil twin's beehive hair.

It would've been a better hasploitation vehicle for Crawford than STRAIT-JACKET or BERSERK that she was doing around the same time.

Caproni

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe if this sub-genre were to strongly reemerge, the likes of Cher and Madonna could tackle it? Maybe for once Madonna would finally be okay for being bad.