• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Hal Holbrook dies aged 95.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I totally missed this news until i opened the papers today, Along with character actor John Randolph (Miss Ellies divorve laywer in S3/ Dallas) Hal Holbrook is one of my favourite character actors who adds class to anything he stars in - and i always wisshed i was able to see him on NY stage

RIP Hal Holbrook

1612376688132.png

Hal Holbrook, the Oscar-nominated actor known for playing Deep Throat in All the President's Men, has died at 95.
Holbrook, who also appeared in Wall Street, Into The Wild and Lincoln, died on 23 January, his assistant told the New York Times.
As Deep Throat, Holbrook leaks vital evidence to the journalists investigating the Watergate scandal.
Holbrook also had a distinguished theatre career, mostly notably in his one-man show portraying Mark Twain.
He had numerous TV credits to his name, including two appearances in US political drama The West Wing as Republican Albie Duncan.
Bradley Whitford, who played Josh Lyman in the series, tweeted: "My God, what an incredible actor. Rest In Peace, Hal Holbrook."
Director Edgar Wright said: "What work Hal Holbrook leaves behind. Loved his performances in The Fog, All The President's Men, Magnum Force, Creepshow, Capricorn One, The Star Chamber, Wild In The Streets & Into The Wild, among many many others."
Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford in All the President's Men

Holbrook's stage and TV recreation of the revered American novelist, humorist and social critic in Mark Twain Tonight arguably brought him his greatest fame.
It earned him a Tony award for his Broadway performance in 1966 and the first of his 10 Emmy nominations in 1967. In the course of his long career Holbrook won five of the Emmys for which he had been nominated.
Holbrook first crafted and then performed Twain while he was a 19-year-old college student. His first big appearance in the part was on the famed Ed Sullivan TV Show.
Hal Holbrook as Mark Twain
image copyrightGetty Images
image captionHal Holbrook carried on performing as Mark Twain until his early 90s
Later, he performed the show on television and in theatres internationally, and also for former President Eisenhower and in an international tour sponsored by the US State Department.
He continued with his Twain act until his early 90s, playing on Broadway and notching up more than 2,200 performances in venues across the country.
"Mark Twain gets me out of the bed in the morning," Holbrook said in 2014.
"He literally fires me up. I don't have to fire myself up, all I have to do is lay there and think about what's going on in my country and the world and run over some of the Twain I am going to do."

Roles with gravitas​

Holbrook was born in Cleveland on 17 February 1925, and his mother was a vaudeville dancer.
He first starting acting at the age 17 when he performed in the popular farce The Man Who Came to Dinner at Cleveland's Cain Park Theatre.
Hal Holbrook in Magnum Force
image captionHal Holbrook played a power-crazed policeman in Dirty Harry: Magnum Force
After serving in the Army in Newfoundland during World War Two, Holbrook attended Denison University in Granville, Ohio.
He later ventured to New York and studied with the actress Uta Hagen and in the 1950s, Holbrook acted on the CBS soap opera The Brighter Day.
He won his first Emmy in 1971 for his work on the NBC drama series The Bold Ones: The Senator and took two more trophies for playing Commander Lloyd Bucher in the 1973 TV film Pueblo, about the capture of a US spy ship by North Korea in 1968.
Hal Holbrook
image captionIn recent years Hal Holbrook had roles in US TV series such as Sons of Anarchy, Rectify and the sitcom Designing Women
Holbrook's craggy voice and appearance lent itself to historical portrayals and other parts that required gravitas, such as his portrayal of US President Abraham Lincoln in the TV mini-series Lincoln, for which he also won an Emmy.
He reprised the role in the ABC miniseries North and South in 1985 and its sequel the following year.
Among many other shows, he also appeared in the West Wing, The Sopranos, Bones, Grey's Anatomy and Hawaii Five-0.
Hal Holbrook and his wife Dixie Carter
image captionHal Holbrook and his wife Dixie Carter
On the big screen, as well as making an impression as Deep Throat and in Into the Wild, he played a power-hungry police lieutenant in the Dirty Harry movie Magnum Force.
In Steven Spielberg's 2012 Lincoln biopic, Holbrook played presidential adviser Preston Blair. He also featured in the films The Firm, Capricorn One, The Fog, and Water for Elephants.
In 2008, aged 82, Holbrook became the oldest actor to have been nominated for an Academy Award for his supporting role in Into the Wild, starring Emile Hirsch.
However, he has since been overtaken by Christopher Plummer, who won in the same category in 2018 aged 88.
In recent years he became a regular presence on US television, with roles in series including Sons of Anarchy, Rectify and the sitcom Designing Women.
Holbrook's memoir Harold: The Boy Who Became Mark Twain was published in September 2011.
He was married three times. He and third wife Dixie Carter - who also appeared in Designing Women - were married in 1984 and remained together until her death in 2010.
He is survived by his three children and two stepdaughters, as well as two grandchildren and two step-grandchildren.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
He also appeared with Momma, Miss Ellie aka BBG in Our Town, which i have always loved but my favourite role was in All the President's Men

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was sad to read about Hal Halbrook's passing as well. His career has such range.

One of my last memories of his performance was on The Sopranos as John Schwinn for an episode or two.

He lived a full life, what else could one want. :rip:

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
The first thing I ever saw him in - which terrified me for years - was Creepshow in the sketch ‘The Crate’, starring Fluffy (the thing in the crate - horrific).

Hal’s performance made it even more frightening, as he figured out what to do with Fluffy - and his pain in the neck wife.

May he rest in peace.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
@Sarah I dont think i have ever seen that, will check it out, but not late at night!!

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I first saw it when I was about 7 I think and it scared the living bejaysus clean out of me. I had 2 older cousins that we used to stay with during holidays and my brother and I shared a room with them. My brother is younger than me so imagine how scared he was!

It took me years and I do mean years to stop being scared of Fluffy @Barbara Fan but I have very fond memories of this particular Creepshow sketch. Hal just makes it - and his hatred for Wilma his wife is just dripping out of him!! :dancing:

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Billy that was his wife in Creepshow (1982) which is prolly my favorite role of his and it's a freaking masterpiece of a horror film if i ever saw one! i watched an episode he did of NCIS recently from i think Season 3 and it was a good one too as a matter of fact. anyways, my 2nd favorite would be (1976)'s All the Presidents Men as Deep Throat aka Mark Felt which is who Deep throat actually was though we only know that now and didn't back than Obviously anyways, there was a horror movie i watched a few months back from (1976) i forget the name of it where he was the star and it had to be his worst film The Edited version of it was called Creeper i watched the Uncut version on you tube and WOW was the film bad. i pretty much will watch anything with him in it and i can't think of a single performance off the top of my head where he was bad in but hey i could be wrong ya know? i know he lived to be almost 100 but it still is painful that he died even if he was 95