Hardees false advertising (Hardees, Piedmont, SC)

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Earlier today, my brother and I went to get my sister's tires changed, and wanted to get a bite to eat at the Hardees in Piedmont, down the way to the left from the tire place that my brother usually goes to off of S.C. 86.

We walked over there and were about to go in (the sign said "Lobby Open"), but when we approached, both lobby (front) doors were locked tight, and it was actually a drive-thru-only situation. My brother was fuming, and who could blame him?

We got my sister's tires changed in due time (my brother and I got a cup of coffee apiece), then went back down 86 to U.S. 25, looking for other options. We tried Bojangles and Subway, but both of those were the same way as Hardees (drive-thru-only). We eventually found a local restaurant called the Clock, and had a great brunch, which I paid for.

Still, falsely advertising an open front area (lobby), when you're really drive-thru-only, is incredibly horrible business practice, IMO.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The labor situation at restaurants is so dire these days that it is a daily struggle for them to have minimum staffing. One day they might have everyone show up who is scheduled, and the next day they might only have one person show up, and that one person might haul off and quit. The situation is much the same here where I live, though I weep at the thought that we have neither Hardee's nor Bojangles. So maybe they were having a "low turnout" day and simply forgot to take down the "lobby open" sign, and the next day they may have had enough people show up to open the dining room again.

I mean, never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity (or in this case, absent-mindedness). They're having a much worse time of it.

The nearest Bojangles to me is three hours north in St. Augustine, and yes, the fact that they aren't closer is a Random Thing I Hate. Their Cajun Filet biscuit and Sweet Tea should be declared national treasures!

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I mean, never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity (or in this case, absent-mindedness). They're having a much worse time of it.

Never thought of it that way! I only said what I said on behalf of my brother, because he was hungry and he wanted a bite-- that's remarkable insight on your part, and sheds new light on it.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This thread reminds me of a fast food chain that I deliver to once a week. I bring them their payroll so you would think they would be waiting for me and unlock the doors. But no, I stand there banging on the door as they all walk back and forth preparing burgers and fries for the day. They’re oblivious.

So what did I start doing? Now I walk right up to the outside drive thru and knock on the glass. It doesn’t seem to go over too well. It does make the customers in the cars waiting in line crack up but I’m really not doing it for laughs (okay, maybe a little). I’m just trying to get you your paychecks. Granted, most people have direct deposit nowadays but still, if you were delivering my paycheck I’d be looking out for ur arrival. So no, it’s not always malice with these places as much as it is stupidity. I do agree with that.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I was in Florida one year and was on my own as my friend and I had split for the day and she had went somewhere else.

I walked off International Drive to a coffee house and got as far as the parking lot (in the dark) when a man approached me to ask me could I help him change a tyre. I panicked and the first thing that came out of my mouth was 'I don't know how to do that, I'm Irish' - like hello, as if that makes a difference to changing a tyre (no jokes please!)

Anyway he kept begging me. I was 28 at the time and am of small build and he was a big man.

I am a very sensible Irish person. All I could think of?

See picture for further details.

1633878337979.png

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You were smart to avoid the guy, because Orlando is, unfortunately, a magnet for unsavory types out to take advantage of solitary tourists. Especially the hotter ones. :10:
If a car owner has insurance (he'd better!), they likely have a roadside assistance number you can call just for such things. If you didn't get RA on your insurance, you can call a non-emergency police number and they will send someone to help change the tire or tow it back to your house. I think "call a fabulous young Irish lass on vacation" is waaaay down on the list of options.

When I traded in my car last year, I discovered my car had come with a spare tire but no jack. I'd driven that thing for 10 years and it had never occurred to me to look beyond the spare tire, since a lot of cars don't even have those nowadays. I had the roadside assistance number in case, but had been driving around thinking that I could change the tire myself if needed. Not hardly!

Random Thing I Hate: Car companies cheaping out on the basics/vitals, but going overboard with options I don't need.