• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

How important is the name Ewing Oil?

How important is the name Ewing Oil?

• Could care less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don’t use it at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like seeing the oil company logo plastered all over the place, like with Mogul Oil on Mogul/The Troubleshooters. On the company buildings, trains, cars, helmets and their airline, Air Mogul. Mogul have offices all around the world and their head UK building is Mogul House. Mogul House is home to Mogul (Amal) Limited, Mogul (Arak) Gulf Limited, Mogul (Chemical Products), Mogul East Africa Limited, Mogul Eastern Trading, Mogul Egyptian Holdings, Mogul European Limited, Mogul Far East Concessions, Mogul Film Productions, Mogul Gas Development, Mogul Gas Exploration, Mogul Refineries (UK) Limited, Mogul Tanker Co. Limited, Mogul (Texas) Limited, Mogul Holdings Limited, Arctic Exploration Limited, Belmont Oil Co. Limited, Chester (Oil) Holdings Ltd., Chieftain Oil Co. Limited, Dumbarton Marine Oil Co., European Oil Exploration, Kingly Oil Limited and Marine Exploration Ltd.
Is this from another show I'm not aware of?

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like seeing the oil company logo plastered all over the place, like with Mogul Oil on Mogul/The Troubleshooters. On the company buildings, trains, cars, helmets and their airline.

One thing that Dallas left unexplored was Ewing Oil's affect on small towns. I go through many of these small towns every day for my job.

Sit back and enjoy a story by your good buddy, the Last Kid Picked:

Back in the 1970's there was a medium sized town with a big oil company as the major employer. Along comes a new town council who wants to put all kinds of restrictions on the oil company. They basically had the attitude of, "If the oil company doesn't like it then they can leave."

Well, this is Texas after all. So the owner of the oil company worked it out with the bank to deliver a huge amount of $2 bills. For our European friends, and our Australian friend @Rove you should know that while America does have a $2 bill it is very rare.

So the oil company owner takes delivery of these rare $2 bills and uses them for payroll for the week. He paid every employee with $2 bills! It was crazy!

What happened is over the course of the next several weeks, people made these observations:

The owner of the gas station noticed several $2 bills in his cash drawer. He realized that most of his customers worked for the oil company.

The owner of the grocery store noticed that she had several $2 bills in her cash register. She knew without a doubt how many of her customers worked for the oil company.

And this spread throughout the town, showing people evidence of how important the oil company was to the town.

TLDR: The town council is gone, and the oil company is still there.

Jock Ewing would have been proud!

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That reminded me of John Elliot’s idea for Mogul. “My new adventure series will combine, in a single flourish, oil-based adventure with the intrigues of the Executive Suite.

Oilmen have formed themselves into the most romantic community of our time. They take coffee with sheikhs, and pump ten thousand gallons into an aircraft as casually as you put five into your car. They are explorers, tearing about noisily in huge vehicles, and silent office workers, rapt before their ledgers. Some die in swamps of mysterious diseases, some are scientists, some politicians, some engineers, and some are very rich. They are all members of a fascinating kingdom within our society.

Oilmen spend their lives in attendance on an invisible spirit. A few actually see it, perhaps slipped over the back bumper of a customer’s car, or in a sudden terrible blaze bursting from a bore-hole. Much of the time oil moves in its mysterious way through miles of underground pipeline and in the bellies of monstrous floating tankers that convey it to its final destiny, the moment of explosion to create power and heat and speed in most of our machinery, giving reason and wealth to the vast industry of oil - which must be seen as one of the most romantic and exciting regions of dramatic entertainment ever explored.

It’s high octane, top grade up-to-the-minute television magic, and it’s available here and now, ready to go…”

And the producer, Peter Graham Scott, when reading the format said, “Dazzling images raced through my mind - The dancing flare at the top of the drilling rig, racing cars at Le Mans, massive tankers battling through storms, sleek aircraft, speedboats - plus the amazing clash of characters, smooth businessmen, and oil-stained roustabouts, slick salesmen and cautious scientists - here was a sudden chance to make a brilliant television series unlike any other yet made.”

Peter Graham Scott said of the series logo, “I designed a crude logo - a mountainous, slab-shaped M with the word Mogul underneath - to be used everywhere, in studio sets, on the front of every script, in the Radio Times billing, and made up in various sizes on printed plastic to be stuck over genuine company logos on petrol tankers, pumps, and oilmen’s helmets anywhere we filmed. (Soon Mogul stickers became a badge of pride on our crews’ car windshields.)”