How long will nuAlexis last?

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It does however wear thin after a short period of time. Since the introduction of Adam he has consistently out maneuvered Fallon yet she is meant to be the supreme empress of Atlanta.
Precisely my point (...if I read you correctly). I miss their not being anyone "good" -- for the lack of a better term -- to root for. Everyone is a villain, or at least spiced with villainous intentions, and therefore throws the original series plot off balance.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Someone earlier here mentioned the possibility, or their wishful thinking at least, that Catherine Oxenberg would have been brought in as Alexis. Honestly, I like that idea a lot, but I don't know if I'd like her replacing Nicollette Sheridan. Had Oxenberg came in first, I think she might have done well, although, in the process, the reboot would have retained Alexis' English origin from the original. I imagine the CW saw larger viewing numbers -- from original fans and fans of serialized night time TV -- when Sheridan was tabled as a possible rebooted Alexis. She had been on Knots Landing and Desperate Housewives, as we all know, for a number of years. In the former, Sheridan herself says she started out as the vixen, but ended up the heroine, while in the latter, to the best of my knowledge, she was a sidelined neighborhood troublemaker.

Watching this rebooted Dynasty, and being the Alexis fanatic while watching the original, I was naturally concerned about how this new version was going to treat Alexis and exactly how well Sheridan would do with the role. After seeing it, however, I have to admit that I was pleased with Sheridan's rendition of Alexis. When I found out she was leaving, it did make me a little sad, and I was shocked to hear that Elizabeth Gillies was going to step into her shoes. I wasn't too fond of that idea at all, but I think it was a serviceable last resort, and I believe the producers made the right decision in riding themselves of Gillies as Alexis after three episodes. I haven't the slightest idea whom I'd like to see replace Sheridan, but I will admit that whomever it will be I'll certainly be giving them the cold shoulder at first although, I might, warm to her after a while.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No, I meant the 2017 Dynasty. Alexis is not needed.....
I semi-agree with that. From my point of view, however, Alexis is such a pivotal part that it's almost inconceivable for me to think about her being excluded from the ensemble. That's when thinking of the original, at least. When analyzing the reboot, with the entire cast being vindictive in some form or fashion, it seems reasonable that if a proper recast isn't found that Alexis could exit stage rear.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm not sure if these producers feel that Alexis "has" to be around simply because she was so central to the original version. If they were trying to make this series an "ersatz Dynasty" ("It's the same show but....different"), then they would absolutely have to have Alexis around. But they'd also have to have Steven around, so I'm guessing they're not using the original series as a road map so much as an idea bank. As the series goes on, it will only depart more and more from the original, unless the new show-runner decides to do a course-correction.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Since the season 2 finale I've come to the realization the character of Alexis is no longer required. My suggestion would be to make Dominique the vile/toxic/vengeful character we all wish Alexis should have been.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Since the season 2 finale I've come to the realization the character of Alexis is no longer required. My suggestion would be to make Dominique the vile/toxic/vengeful character we all wish Alexis should have been.

Agreed. No matter what actress they get to finally fill the role, the character is just not relevant.....

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When debated this way, Alexis isn't overtly needed. If Dominique steps up and fills the void, I think she'll do fine. However, I worry that with Dominique as the central vixen, then this will morph into being CW's rendition of Empire.

AZLiam

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to disagree. In what university is Alexis not central to Dynasty? Without original Dynasty, this shipwreck wouldn't have even gotten the green light to call itself "Dynasty". The writers have a third and (IMO) final chance to right the ship with this character. If they fail and Alexis truly becomes irrelevant, then so does NuDynasty.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm gonna have to disagree. In what university is Alexis not central to Dynasty? Without original Dynasty, this shipwreck wouldn't have even gotten the green light to call itself "Dynasty". The writers have a third and (IMO) final chance to right the ship with this character. If they fail and Alexis truly becomes irrelevant, then so does NuDynasty.
I'm on the fence about Alexis' recast, and where precisely I stand on this "Alexis is now irrelevant" debate. From the title of the show alone, it is hard for me to imagine the show going on without Alexis being around. I mean, good grief, it's taken an adjustment for me to get use to her not being a every episode staple in the final season of the original, so the reboot exiting her entirely will be a difficult pill for this viewer to swallow.

However, as I've also said, I can see how Alexis' status as resident villainous doesn't stand out as much as it did back on the original. In this new version, everyone's a villain, in some since of the word. Almost none of the characters have any significant redeeming qualities that balance the "good" and "bad" sides of the fence.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Alexis, just like any character, can be made relevant--heck, made central to the show--if the writers simply decide to write it that way. Soaps can change their focus, theme, what-have-you with the drop of a hat. New writers can enter the scene and turn the whole show upside down to suit their whims. Just ask fans of Falcon Crest. o_O

Look at how the show changed when Adam showed up on the scene. Suddenly they had a villain they wanted to write for, and I think it is safe to say it was a near-total change of tone within two episodes. As much as I would prefer Nicollette return and pick up where she left off, I believe they will have an easier time of re-imagining and re-focusing the character if they have a different actress playing it.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes any character can be relevant till the moment writers deliver good dialogues and plots. Think original Fallon season 9.

Anyway, I really want, I really need this season 3 to be good. I need the show runner to give a soul the the show. Or at least a real continuity, a cohesion, a coherence, and consequences.

And anyone who green-lighted Fallexis should be shot in the nuts by Nicollette Sheridan : they should not be allowed to procreate. Or create.

Last edited: