Huge mistakes daytime soaps made....

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Viki Buchanan (OLTL) had this 'forgotten kid' thing happen to her TWICE. She had the 'forgotten twin' (she remembered Jessica, forgot Natalie), and also gave birth to Megan Gordon while in one of her DID spells and forgot her, as well. She also had the equally ludicrous "twins with different fathers" plot thrust upon her (though happily they ret-conned that).

I agree the way AW wrote Donna's labor was clever, and it left the door wide open for the discovery of a triplet (Scott LaSalle)...but they decided not to pursue the story. In the Jason/Drew story on GH I give them a half-point for the way they managed to keep the Heather/Susan situation murky (therefore possible) for so long, what with Heather always being so secretive about the circumstances of Susan's labor, her own pregnancy at the same time (which produced Franco, whom she seemed to worship years before their link was established), and of course the preliminary story where Heather tried to claim Franco was that secret twin. Still, it is noticeable that Billy Miller and Steve Burton do not share body types. They had their faces changed, but not their heights and musculature. The non-identical, identical twins here is notable, but not as notable as the 1998 recast of Marley on AW with tall, skinny Ellen Wheeler, while her "identical twin" Vicky was still played by shorter, curvier Jensen Buchanan.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
It would have been a much larger plot twist if Billy Miller had been the real Jason. since it was his faceless character who Robin took care of at Chrighton Clark before it exploded. Of course writing Jason as NOT being loyal to CarSon was a bridge too far for Valentini

cijimccashin

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
1.ABC/Brian Frons hiring Megan Mctavish to write for All My Children for the third time. She practically ruined everything that made that show special if you ask me.

2. Abc not making soapnet a viable network to eventually move their lineup there. They could’ve launch several new soaps first to increase ratings.

3. All My Children revolving the entire around Ryan, Greenlee, Zach and Kendal its last decade.

Last edited:

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
Brian Frons is like Jill Farren Phelps. They usually can't be trusted with something breakable.

When SoapNet started airing movies, I knew the writing was on the wall for the network.

SpankingOfTori

Telly Talk Newbie
Reaction score
One Life was actually decent until the final year or so. The guy killing everyone who was dating Blair was awesome .
I disagree. AMC and OLTL should have been cancelled years BEFORE they were. They both suffered hideously from poison pens and cheap teeny bopper characters and it was sad, yet it was also mercy killings when they finally died....

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
I know it was done for budgetary reasons, but Guiding Light being filmed like a reality show really took away from the fantasy aspect of soap

Ginuwine97

Telly Talk Newbie
Reaction score
TPTB firing Al Freeman Jr., Ellen Holly, and Lillian Hayman from One Life to Live. Ed, Carly, and Sadie were great characters and should of never been let go.

TJames03

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
When Carla, Sadie, Anna, etc, we’re dumped for the Buchanan’s, the realism died in the show. Just like on AMC when the core families were being run out by stupid newbies. It was merciful that both shows died.

Ginuwine97

Telly Talk Newbie
Reaction score
When Carla, Sadie, Anna, etc, we’re dumped for the Buchanan’s, the realism died in the show. Just like on AMC when the core families were being run out by stupid newbies. It was merciful that both shows died.

I loved Carla, Sadie and Ed on the show. But I also liked the Buchanans. I do wish they had kept Carla, Ed and Sadie.