• What I find is pleasing and I'm feeling fine

Love is so confusing, there's no peace of mind

If I fear I'm losing you it's just no good

• Vote for your favourite TV characters from the 1970s

Mission to find Telly Talk's Favourite TV Characters.

Click here for more details

Huge pop acts who never scored a Number 1 single in the UK

Barbara Fan

Dallas Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Heard on the radio today that Bruce Springsteen has never won a Brit for Best international artist - We didnt always get it right!
When i think of all the great songs of the 70/80s that never made number 1 - and compare it to the CR*P of today that does - it really makes me wonder

I cant think of any song in the last decade that I will still be humming or singing in 40 years time, I hardly recognise any names that makes the "charts" now

I think of Sunday evening, blank tape in, fingers poised on play record to tape the Charts show off the radio and the songs i liked - and try and do so without any talking over the radio, also did it with Paul Gambuccini and his run down of the American charts
For years i kept a list in the back of my diary of what was Number 1 that week, gave up in the 2010s!!

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm done for the day, so if anyone can think of other acts that had bid songs but no number one, drop them in here.

The Eagles were a massive international act and had many UK chart hits but never got to number 1. I think they came closest with Hotel California.

Cat Stevens also never had a number 1 record although he made the top 10 many times and had a number 2 with Mathew and Son.

Tina Turner also never made number 1 in the UK, I think her biggest hit was We Don't Need Another Hero which only got to number 3.
Finally, The Krankies never had number one but Fan Dabi Dozie made the top 50. :laughs:

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Green Day
Depeche Mode
Radiohead
The Carpenters
Dolly Parton

Bruce Springsteen
The Killers
Tears for Fears
Wow, I'm quite shocked that these especially haven't had a number one, the music charts can be puzzling.

MUSE have had a few big songs and I don't think they've ever had a number one single.

Last edited: