I wish they had shown us what JR was like when he started out at Ewing Oil

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One missed opportunity would have been to show us either through flashbacks or in JR's own words what it was like when he started out at Ewing Oil.

Now we did get bits and pieces through the series like Jock saying that he taught JR to have this instinct for business but not knowing to stop that a deal might be too risky. I remember that scene between JR and Bobby when Bobby asks JR, "Why do you always have to use strong arm tactics?" Shame that question was left unanswered. I also remember Ellie saying that JR was shy and that he was always at her side and that her biggest regret was letting go of him too soon when Jock began to groom JR to one day run Ewing Oil his birthright. And there is the fact that Jock and Ellie played favorites among their sons and were open about it.

Now, I can imagine Jock would probably have had JR work in all of the departments of the company to get to know how its run and quizzed him on what he learned. Also, I can picture JR visiting all of the oil wells Ewing Oil has as well as sitting in on meeting Jock was having with other oil men and with the Cartel.

Jock believed in a handshake sealed a deal and JR did not. So what happened there? Did JR not believe in that or did he try it out and the other person lied that there was a deal? Did this happen more than once to make JR reject it altogether? Also strong arming people, what is that about?

I would have liked to know what it was like for JR when he started at Ewing Oil at 15. Shame the writers did not explore that.

Trapper5150

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Star Wars
Why not do a prequel mini series? It would probably be easier to do a prequel than a sequel series, at this point. With the failed relaunch of Dallas in 2012, it would be difficult to any kind of sequel series again. You’d almost have a complete reboot of the series based on the Ewing sons, with Bobby as the sole patriarch. And almost no focus on the characters from the original series. If you did that, I personally think it’d have to be not based off the 2012 series since that didn’t go anywhere.

Via The Void

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Why not do a prequel mini series? It would probably be easier to do a prequel than a sequel series, at this point. With the failed relaunch of Dallas in 2012, it would be difficult to any kind of sequel series again. You’d almost have a complete reboot of the series based on the Ewing sons, with Bobby as the sole patriarch. And almost no focus on the characters from the original series. If you did that, I personally think it’d have to be not based off the 2012 series since that didn’t go anywhere.

Another continuation series from the TNT Cyntax Dallas isn't viable. That show bombed in the ratings worldwide.

A prequel mini series would be good but I suspect Warner Bros. who own Dallas since their purchase of Lorimar Television back in 1989 will probably go with a reboot Dallas series at some point.

Although I don't watch the CW Dynasty series that show has managed to keep going.

Sooner or later I think Dallas will get a complete reboot. My only hope is that the show's creator David Jacobs will be allowed to craft the rebooted Dallas into a success. :)