• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

If John Ross were a major character, who should he be like?

If John Ross were a major character, who should he be like?

• As seen in TNT (a 40 year old looser)

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Jock

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Clayton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JR

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Bobby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please detail)

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A series needs to have a preconceived idea what it is. Writers cannot have it both ways. Writing characters carrying on like teenagers but expected to make adult decisions doesn't wash with me at all. My initial reaction is an eye-roll followed quickly by pressing a button on the remote. When Lorimar Dallas began Patrick Duffy was aged 29. When TNT Dallas began Josh Henderson was aged 31 however the difference in delivery is noted. I'm not blaming Josh at all...just that writing team.

When I revisit Lorimar Dallas I never feel Bobby was treated like he was fresh out of High School. His character is treated with the respect a 29 year old desires. But times are changing. Just the other day while out purchasing some groceries here is a man clearly in the his mid-late 30's dressed like what the 18 years old are wearing today. It looked sad.

As I've noted many times on this forum. My target audience for a Dallas continuation is geared towards those on the 49+ side. Treat the characters and audience with respect and you could be on a winner.

Good points.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When I revisit Lorimar Dallas I never feel Bobby was treated like he was fresh out of High School. His character is treated with the respect a 29 year old desires.
They did a great job writing for Bobby. As you said, he never came off as a spoiled kid, or even a kid at all.
The difference seems to be that even from the very beginning, Bobby felt his family name and family wealth was a great responsibility. He stood right up for that responsibility and this made him a person we could root for.
What was brilliant about this is that when Bobby did get down in the mud, it had a big impact on the audience as that was out of character for him.
Great writing, and great acting.