And I love her outfit

The-Doctor-New-Costume-680x850.jpg

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Now we know where Sophia Petrillo's missing culottes were.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i don't love it but than it could be worse, it could be Colin Baker's outfit. it looks like an outfit a little kid would wear, one tends to wonder who picks the outfits out at times. honestly i belong to a doctor who forum and you wouldn't believe how much hate the fact that a woman is now the doctor. while i do think that the role should have stayed male it also doesn't piss me off either that it's a woman. i am really curious how she does it and how it will be written as well. in short i'm not among those that refuse to watch it cause it's now a got a woman as the lead.

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
it could be Colin Baker's outfit. it looks like an outfit a little kid would wear, one tends to wonder who
Oh, I’m due to encounter Colin Baker this weekend. I might ask him about it. Peter Davison, Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton, Bernard Cribbins, Pearl Mackie, David Warner, Warwick Davis, Dan Starkey and David Bradley will be there too. As well as Denise Crosby, Anthony Daniels and Guy Henry.

Last edited:

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i don't think colin baker had any say but than i could be wrong. i love David Warner and though i haven't seen that many of his films he's a favorite of mine. and I've loved Warwick Davis since i was a kid. ask Denise Crosby what she thought about Pet Semetary will ya? i love that film good cast of folks you are lucky enough to meet

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I would not put too much stock in the outfit. Recall they released pictures of Peter Capaldi in that dramatic black coat with the red lining, but Capaldi ended up wearing a lot of different outfits (hoodies!) during his tenure and was not stuck in one outfit the whole time. I hope they will allow Whittaker to change her clothes, because the outfit in the photo looks kind of mismatched and thrown together, rather than a pulled-together look. Of course, it might look thrown together on purpose, like maybe The Doctor doesn't know how to dress like a woman and just grabbed whatever fit...or sort of fit...out of the infamous TARDIS wardrobe. A duster like that will not photograph well when doing all the running they do on the show.

Pity she had to steal Laura Ingalls's shoes.

Last edited:

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Got this yesterday on the pretext of getting a new vacuum cleaner. I hid it inside the new Doctor Who Yearbook and hid them both within the packaging of a Hoover Freedom Cordless cleaner. Fortunately, my local Sainsbury’s stocks DWM and vacuum cleaners. Although Argos is near Sainsburys and now some Sainsburys contain branches of Argos. So my secret is safe.
C604FF5A-2E8F-48F7-9FA1-3301C5599377.jpeg

CEBED38C-2AF4-43AD-93F4-49C992F97EAF.jpeg

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I do have a couple of friends (one male and one female) who have decided to stop watching Doctor Who because of Jodie’s casting or more specifically, the casting of a woman in the role of the Doctor. I’ve noticed that I haven’t been keeping in touch with them very much since that announcement and their reactions to it. I’ve been seeing cracks and antagonism developing in those associations. Differences of opinions on other things have suddenly become more marked. I’m quite excited by it all but then I’m easily amused.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't get the antagonism either.

I grew up in a time when heroes were almost exclusively male - Superman, Batman, The Man From UNCLE. All of those had female counterparts of course but they were definitely subordinate. I never gave it any thought; it's just how things were.

Since then I've lived through the era of 70s "jiggle TV" epitomised by Charlie's Angel's (still working for a man), the grittier 80s of Cagney & Lacey and the superheroics of Xena and Buffy in the 90s and beyond. Each step generated press attention so I was not unaware that it was accompanied by societal changes which have not always been to everyone's liking.

The fact that it's still considered worth remarking on today only shows that male is still the "norm" but if anything I have become quite predisposed to female heroes.

Specifically regarding Doctor Who, I've only recently started to get into it in any depth. I was aware of it growing up but it was always on around dinner time so I didn't see much - and the serialised nature of it made it hard to drop into individual episodes. The Doctor I remember most is Jon Pertwee and when it was revived the new stud-muffin doctors didn't seem very "doctory" to me. It has only been with Peter Capaldi that I've really taken an interest and now made a point of watching Eccleston et al and finding how they each put their own stamp on the role. And now the lead-up to Jodie Whittaker has been very exciting, too.

Here's another question: Does Doctor Who even have to be humanoid?

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Doctor I remember most is Jon Pertwee and when it was revived the new stud-muffin doctors didn't seem very "doctory" to me.

The one I remember most is the one before him. I do find it interesting when you say “Doctory” in regard to his, though. The show’s original producer (Verity Lambert) said in interviews that she was of the opinion that Jon Pertwee’s Doctor was too establishment, whereas she viewed the character as being anti-establishment. And in some ways, his performance is possibly the most noticeably played straight. I mean, I love it now but his Doctor took a while to grow on me, whereas Troughton, Tom Baker, Tennant and some of the others were ones I warned to instantly. In 1996 (the year he died), Jon Pertwee said of his portrayal: “Well, the reason for that is that I had just come from comedy and I wanted to prove to myself and others that I could do things other than comedy. I had done eccentric comics in theatres and pictures, I did the hideous Carry On series. I did quite a few of those. I wanted to prove that I could be a successful actor by playing straight. I played it straight. Right down the middle for five years.”

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess I'm talking more in terms of physical appearance rather than interpretation of the character since I haven't had the opportunity to see many of them. The Doctor has always seemed more of an avuncular figure than a romantic one to me. Having said that, as I mentioned I've been watching reruns of the recent past and Tennant's performance has certainly grown on me.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The broadcasts are up to the end of the Tennant era now, with a very emotional farewell to the Tenth Doctor.

From the perspective of 2018 (and tangentially relevant to this thread) it was amusing to see Eleven in his first few moments discover that he had long hair and briefly think that he was a girl - until finding his Adam's apple (although I'm not sure if that's the first thing I would have thought to check). It seems that they've been teasing this possibility for a while, with the transformation of The Master to Missy as proof-of-concept, as it were.

Do you like the bag?
Isn't she wearing it back-to-front? :lol: