• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Is Laura one of the worst characters on Knots?

Was she?

• No Val was worse

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Yes, Laura was worse than Val

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
vs

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
... and I'd just like to point out that I just started this poll to get a true opinion on how people feel about certain Jill-murdering characters.

No pressure.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Jill killed herself and it was her one great accomplishment. @tommie Laura would invite you into her kitchen and then slap your face and call you a slut! And you would enjoy it, because that's the kind of desperate attention slut you are. Kisses xx

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jill killed herself and it was her one great accomplishment. @tommie Laura would invite you into her kitchen and then slap your face and call you a slut! And you would enjoy it, because that's the kind of desperate attention slut you are. Kisses xx

RUDE!! I'd never passively aggressively start a thread like this for pure provocation. Take that back, you silly skank!

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And she was smarter than Jill and her assailant by staying away from that man-whore Gary, who had an unspoken plot to boff every woman in the town. Richard had his issues, but Gary had an entire four-volume set. Plus, Greg's fortune made Gary's look minor in comparison.

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I never liked Laura much because she was such a downer. But that’s what made her a good character on the show - it was realistic to have a character like that around.

Knots Blogger

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The short answer is no, definitely not, I’d say she’s definitely top 5 and a huge part of classic Knots. I’d say the problem was the writing that too often relegated her to being an arm of the male characters, first Richard and then Sumner. But Constance played her perfectly and when they shined the spotlight on her like in THE LIE she was really fascinating. Her sarcastic humor also really helped to differentiate Knots from the other super soaps.

Knots Blogger

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, LOL, I realized that after I posted my reply and then went back to read the other replies and I’m like “Whoops”

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But that doesn't mean you were incorrect. :D

Both of her main screen partners (John Pleshette and William Devane) spoke highly of her skills as an actress. Neither actor was one to gush or to offer up false praise for anyone (esp. crusty ol' Devane), so when Pleshette called her the best actress in the cast, and Devane said his work with McCashin was his favorite work of the series, you have to take note. You got the impression that Devane (who never held back an opinion on the goings-on at KL) was not happy that their story was cut short, even as he got some juicy material from Laura's exit.

The other leading ladies (Lee, Mills and especially Van Ark) were well-documented in lobbying the producers for more screen time, for adjusting scenes or plotlines more to their own liking. I never heard of McCashin taking such actions, and I've always assumed that Laura sort of got lost in the shuffle because no one (namely CM) was lobbying for her to get more screen time, etc. as the other ladies did.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Well, it takes one to know one!

(Sorry. I’m just reenacting a KL scene!!!!!)

Last edited:

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Laura was one of my favorite character on Knots. I know Val was useful for the plots, so I kind of liked her for that, but if those characters were real, I would hang out with Laura, her smartness, and her humour.

I would run away as far as possible from Val and her endless dramas.
I would sleep with Gary, just for the fun, and would run away from him, as fast as possible, after coït.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Laura was the best, she never made a Pollyanna speech or threw Jason Lochner's crap off a balcony

Billy Nolan

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
we are currently watching the series with the whole family. We are currently in the 12th season. Laura's departure was sad, but to be honest, we didn't miss her as much as Lilimae, for example.
The role of Laura became less and less important towards the end and it seemed like a logical consequence to write her out of the series. It was similar with Cathy or Ben. Regionally, Laura seems to have been popular differently. I think she has a huge following, especially in England. Less in France or Germany.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
we are currently watching the series with the whole family. We are currently in the 12th season. Laura's departure was sad, but to be honest, we didn't miss her as much as Lilimae, for example.
The role of Laura became less and less important towards the end and it seemed like a logical consequence to write her out of the series. It was similar with Cathy or Ben. Regionally, Laura seems to have been popular differently. I think she has a huge following, especially in England. Less in France or Germany.
I broadly agree with you.

I really loved Laura's character in the early seasons, so complex, multi-layered and fascinating but after Richard left and she hooked up with Sumner I felt she became a little boring because they didn't really know what to do with her.

WeldonBallou

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, she was there for Ciji. Until she was killed :NI:
That's true. We never did find out exactly why she was so close to Ciji. Could Richard have been right? Laura did butch her long beautiful hair off for that ugly mullet. I've noticed in Hollywood the subject of "lesbians" was very popular around 1982-ish (Cagney and Lacey first impressions anyone?)