• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dallas News Is there 'an announcement' imminent..?

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
What concerns me most about this chatter regarding an impending announcement regarding Dallas is if Warner Bros announce a new continuation with Cynthia as showrunner :yikey:

I'd hope in the case of a continuation someone would do even a little bit of research and see the only people that ever made overly complimentary comments about CC's vision were those with a vested interest in keeping it on air, the actors, after show TV hosts etc. and the reviews of the show on official entertainment sites were quite different to the reviews week by week posted in fan forums like this or Twitter etc. CC was the worst thing to happen to Dallas. I watched an interview with her (that Dallas Roundup aftershow) where she said she didn't write the show with Dallas in mind, that was a horrifically honest comment to make, I'd believe it, but I don't like it.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't understand this logic though, if you are going to go back to the "middle years" you'll have to re-cast every single character. So why not just start over with a whole new reboot?
It'a achievable Pete. We could pick up from 1951 when Dallas: The Early Years finished and end it during 1969 when the moon landing happened. That's a time span of 18 years.

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't understand this logic though, if you are going to go back to the "middle years" you'll have to re-cast every single character. So why not just start over with a whole new reboot?

You can still set in when J.R & Bobby were young adults etc, it doesn't have to start at the same point that Dallas did.

That said, it could still be set present day and reflect how men and women now interact differently to what they did when the original show was on.

A prequel demands every character be recast since even if the actors were still alive, they'd be far too old to play the ages they were in 1968, for example. That's the ideal time. Start earlier than that and you just see some (or all) of the Ewing sons as children, which has limited appeal. I chose 1968 because Bobby turned 18 in 1968. You can use flashbacks to show them as children if you want, but it doesn't limit you to only seeing them as children.

So why not start over with a whole new reboot that is set in an earlier time? I don't think the audience would accept a reboot, and I'm not personally interested in a reboot. What would the motivation be to do a reboot unless you thought you could outdo the original? A prequel gives the audience new information on a story they're already interested in. A reboot doesn't give any new information on the story; it reinvents the story by starting over. Why would you start over when you've already got something as well liked as Dallas?

Last edited:

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I finally took a look at what got this whole conversation started and it's not much. Just a picture of the two kids fromTNT Dallas with he caption "The Ewings are fighting back." Against what? Cancellation? They gave that show very opportunity, they had plenty of advertising, they showed it on a channel most people get in a good time-slot and the ratings consistently went down from one season to the next. I say "season" but realistically what they had was a season and half work of episodes by the standards of the original.

If Dallas had 15 episode seasons, it would have had 23 seasons! There also would have been another 12 episodes left over after that. If someone was serious about making a return to TV for Dallas, wouldn't you post a picture of two of the people who made the show the success it was? You'd have a picture of JR and Pam or JR and Bobby if you were going to post a picture of two faces that would bring back good memories from the public.

I don't think Jesse Metcalfe and Josh Henderson are bad actors, but they're not even close to as talented as people like Larry Hagman,Barbara Bel Geddes or Ken Kercheval. Those are two separate leagues of acting and to cast for Dallas, you need to hire the best of the best.

I don't expect anything to come of that post as far as another Dallas show being made, but if it does happen, I really hope they don't use anyone who was on TNT Dallas who wasn't also in the original. Just on principle I wouldn't want anything about a new show that would remind people of the show that failed. It's like another bad dream that Pam had. Dreams don't usually make sense, so in that light, sure, some Venezuelans tried to take over Southfork, Christopher married his cousin, Cliff killed their children and then somehow, the last season got worse.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I finally took a look at what got this whole conversation started and it's not much. Just a picture of the two kids fromTNT Dallas with he caption "The Ewings are fighting back." Against what? Cancellation? They gave that show very opportunity, they had plenty of advertising, they showed it on a channel most people get in a good time-slot and the ratings consistently went down from one season to the next. I say "season" but realistically what they had was a season and half work of episodes by the standards of the original.

If Dallas had 15 episode seasons, it would have had 23 seasons! There also would have been another 12 episodes left over after that. If someone was serious about making a return to TV for Dallas, wouldn't you post a picture of two of the people who made the show the success it was? You'd have a picture of JR and Pam or JR and Bobby if you were going to post a picture of two faces that would bring back good memories from the public.

I don't think Jesse Metcalfe and Josh Henderson are bad actors, but they're not even close to as talented as people like Larry Hagman,Barbara Bel Geddes or Ken Kercheval. Those are two separate leagues of acting and to cast for Dallas, you need to hire the best of the best.

I don't expect anything to come of that post as far as another Dallas show being made, but if it does happen, I really hope they don't use anyone who was on TNT Dallas who wasn't also in the original. Just on principle I wouldn't want anything about a new show that would remind people of the show that failed. It's like another bad dream that Pam had. Dreams don't usually make sense, so in that light, sure, some Venezuelans tried to take over Southfork, Christopher married his cousin, Cliff killed their children and then somehow, the last season got worse.
From what people have said, the odd photos/posts on Twitter and FB also coincide with TNT's rights to the show running out - it seems the property of Dallas has now reverted to Warner, who have by all accounts planned for the occasion. It's now a case of putting their feelers out to see what people think of this 80's soap - but to what end we don't yet know.

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
From what people have said, the odd photos/posts on Twitter and FB also coincide with TNT's rights to the show running out - it seems the property of Dallas has now reverted to Warner, who have by all accounts planned for the occasion. It's now a case of putting their feelers out to see what people think of this 80's soap - but to what end we don't yet know.

It might be a good idea for them to show a picture of JR, Sue Ellen, and Kristin together - that would bring back some memories!

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My guess is that they’re going to announce that the original and revival series are going to be streamed on the new HBO Max service.

It's really unfortunate HBO Max is US only, unlike Netflix or the upcoming Peacock from NBC which are global. The only reason Dynasty has been recommisoned is the global Netflix audience. Again Dallas suffers due to the only US audience.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's really unfortunate HBO Max is US only, unlike Netflix or the upcoming Peacock from NBC which are global. The only reason Dynasty has been recommisoned is the global Netflix audience. Again Dallas suffers due to the only US audience.

Yeah, but if they're trying to sell it to streamers then they'd take it in mind that the money is with the global audience.

As I said, I genuinely believe that there might have been a five year clause set for TNTDallas that hindered them from selling it internationally when it was cancelled. Well, five years have passed so...

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Why though? Not necessarily
I'm assuming that the inclusion of Metcalfe means that Christopher is alive but I could be wrong.
"Smallville" was a 10-year-running prequel
I would call Smallville a reboot of the Superman story. If it's a prequel, what exactly is it a prequel to? Not the Reeves series or the Reeve movies or the Lois & Clark series.
Star Trek Discovery is on Netflix internationally. A similar deal could be made if Warner has no other outlets of their own.

Laurie Marr

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Although they may be made in jest, I find that these recent posts make me queasy. Wishing to inflict violence or a potentially fatal virus on someone I find not to be the most mirthful of subjects.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This is cool and a hug post. I don’t have time to read through the whole thing. Can someone summarize that we know at the point? I’d love to see a real continuation.

My ideas:

Sue Ellen Ewing - in Jock’s role. Show more of the foundation she created and maybe a foundation Clayton and Miss Ellie put together that she runs, would explain where all the money went. In the last 4 years she managed to prove the SF mineral rights were left to the foundation. With a billion dollar foundation she is the power behind every business move. She moves into SF.

Bobby Ewing - in Miss Ellie’s role. He owns 1/2 the ranch and cares for it and plays the voice of reason in the family. Ann went with Emma to live in Virginia. Rylands back in prison thanks to John Ross and Judith is a U.S. (mentioned not seen) also thanks to John Ross. Chris lived, out his life back together and moved to California with his mother who turned out alive. Cliff is in a mental hospital in Mexico. Bobby is the history and moral center.

Ellie Ewing - in JR’s role. John Ross’s sister that Sue Ellen raised in England and JR was involved with, though Sue Ellen never knew. She uses money JR left her to team up with John Ross and create Ewing Industries, including taking over Ewing Global (including Wentworth Tool and Die) and Ryland Trucking. John Ross created a paramilitary company, Branch Water from Ryland’s CIA contacts which she uses as her go to people in underhanded dealings. Mention James and Bo (Cally’s son) so they’re not ignored from the original Dallas.

John Ross - in Bobby’s role. Ellie’s partner in Ewing Industries, Bobby’s best friend, retired from business to ranch but stays involved, tends to fight Ellie over schemes but in the end he and his sister are thick as thrives.

Pamela Ewing - in Pam’s role. John Ross’s wife, a romantic couple but Ellie wants her gone. She has adopted John Ross Ewing III (John Ross’s out of wedlock son we didn’t see in TNT) and Steve Clayton (John Ross’s other son with Elena, who’s in prison for her involvement with the drug cartel, born end of 2010, the year JR died, the year without estate taxes). She’s a devoted house wife and mother and in the DOA.

Jay Ewing - in Lucy’s role. John Ross Ewing IV, the college freshman, cheesecake role, playboy type, he and Sue Ellen and Ellie based on Angela and Lance from Falcon Crest.

Anthony Cumson - in Sue Elle’s role. Lance Cumson’s son from Falcon Crest just to tie the two shows together (mention his father as a great vintner and his uncle the seer of ‘Cisco), a California blue blood, Stanford and Cambridge grad, a nerdy genius who runs Ewing Industries for John Ross and Ellie, with an on again off again relationship with Ellie.

J. Paul Wendell - in Cliff’s role. Jeremy Wendell’s son, Chairman and CEO of the Trident Corporation (which owns the old West Star Corporation. He hates the Ewing’s. Turns out his mother is Afton, who gave him up for adoption (Jeremy raped her and paid her for the child, never seen on original Dallas) before she even meet JR, so he’s Pamela’s 1/2 brother.

Mateo Ramos - in Ray’s role. Drew and Elena’s brother, Carmen’s other son, and Teresa’s nephew (from the original). He’s having a secret affair with Jay (who’s bisexual) and works for Bobby and John Ross running the ranch. Like his brother he was in the military and friends with John Ross growing up. He blames Elena for Drew’s murder.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So. Have we been hoodwinked by some over zealous Warner Bros intern? Did the Russian government hack the Dallas facebook page and plant the cryptic photo and message? Why have we gone from some imminent announcement to silence?

I don't like being toyed with regarding my favourite series.

ThatOtherMJ

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Ellie Ewing - in JR’s role. John Ross’s sister that Sue Ellen raised in England and JR was involved with, though Sue Ellen never knew. She uses money JR left her to team up with John Ross and create Ewing Industries, including taking over Ewing Global (including Wentworth Tool and Die) and Ryland Trucking. John Ross created a paramilitary company, Branch Water from Ryland’s CIA contacts which she uses as her go to people in underhanded dealings. Mention James and Bo (Cally’s son) so they’re not ignored from the original Dallas.

Whoa. Just one question....okay, maybe several.

How old is she?
Who is her mother?
Why did Sue Ellen raise her?
How would Sue Ellen have kept THAT secret from JR and John Ross?

Very interesting, though.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Whoa. Just one question....okay, maybe several.

How old is she?
Who is her mother?
Why did Sue Ellen raise her?
How would Sue Ellen have kept THAT secret from JR and John Ross?

Very interesting, though.

You mean Ellie? I’d guess she was born right after Sue Ellen left in 1989, so I’d say right around 30. Sue Ellen is her mother. Because she’s her mother she raised her. Sue Ellen lived in England, maybe two houses, one in the city, the other in the county, and John Ross away to boarding school.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So. Have we been hoodwinked by some over zealous Warner Bros intern? Did the Russian government hack the Dallas facebook page and plant the cryptic photo and message? Why have we gone from some imminent announcement to silence?

I don't like being toyed with regarding my favourite series.

I’d love an up date.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Mateo Ramos - in Ray’s role. Drew and Elena’s brother, Carmen’s other son, and Teresa’s nephew (from the original). He’s having a secret affair with Jay (who’s bisexual) and works for Bobby and John Ross running the ranch. Like his brother he was in the military and friends with John Ross growing up. He blames Elena for Drew’s murder.
I don't wish for any remnants of the Ramos family. They need to be exterminated from Dallas history. Never to be mentioned again. In my continuation I'd seek out the services of Roseanna Christiansen. Having Roseanna reprise the role of Teresa would add a touch of familiarity. Sadly lacking in TNT Dallas.