• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

In the Spotlight with.. James from London

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I remember being in the same room as Patrick Duffy and not going up to him because I was worried that if I made a fool of myself, I wouldn't be able to watch him on Dallas again without cringing, and meeting P Duffy was less important than being able to enjoy Dallas.

So funny.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Hi James, I am wondering now had you ever worked with or met Stephanie Beacham or Kate O'Mara or any other '80s soap actors?

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hi James, I am wondering now had you ever worked with or met Stephanie Beacham or Kate O'Mara or any other '80s soap actors?
Sadly not, the closest I got is probably Ben Carrington's nephew (his real-life nephew, that is, not Adam or Steven, unfortunately).

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I hope you did it well.
Well, it's important to have hope, especially now with the aliens coming, so I won't take that away from you.
Hi James, I have a few more questions for you today, if I may.
You very much may! You're very good with the questions, Angela. It takes me about a fortnight to come up with just one.
Who is the most fascinating person you’ve met?
Hmmm ... the first person that springs to mind is Mart Crowley, who wrote the play The Boys in the Band that we did a revival of a few years ago. He came over from New York for the opening at the Park Theatre and then again when it moved to the Vaudeville. He died at the beginning of this year, soon after finally winning a Tony, for the Broadway version of Boys, and just before the pandemic, which was pretty good timing. He was lovely -, so funny and kind and supportive and full of stories of starting out as a writer in New York and then moving to Hollywood. Famously, he and Natalie Wood were best mates, and I think she and Robert Wagner helped finance the original production of Boys which was a total game-changer in theatre.

After he went back to New York while we were still touring the show, he would send each of the cast these amazing, incredibly long stream-of-consciousness emails about our characters and who they were based on in his life and the actors who had played them originally -- nearly all of whom had since died -- fiction and reality and showbiz all sort of bleeding into one another. His writing was as funny and moving and eccentric as he was. I have one vivid memory of being in Leeds on tour when the cast decided to have an outing to Howarth, which is where the Bronte sisters famously grew up and did their thing. I got a ride with one of the actors, Ben, and on the way there and on the way back, I read one of Mart's incredibly long emails aloud to him. It was snowing so it really felt like we were in the middle of Wuthering Heights yet Mart's email painted such a vivid picture of early 60s New York and LA. It was such a weird juxtaposition but it worked!
What would be your dream acting role?
Interesting question! I was mulling this over while being pummelled by my trainer this morning. The best acting experiences are often the ones that push you out of your comfort zone -- parts you never saw yourself playing under conditions you never imagined - but if I could choose, I would love to do a play at the Bush in London, cos it's my favourite theatre. It would be a new piece written by Jack Thorne (probably most famous for the Harry Potter play and Skins, but he's done loads of dark and interesting stuff for both TV and theatre), directed by Mark Gatiss (cos he's so clever but also really laid-back and nice) and the other actors would be Lindsey Coulson, Tameka Empson, Johann Myers, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Jonathan Wrather. Ideally, it would be set in a pub (cos I love plays that are set in pubs) and we'd all be on stage the whole time. And maybe there'd be a bit where someone would put 'Ain't No Doubt' by Jimmy Naill on the jukebox and we'd drunkenly sing along but then a fight would break out halfway through. And it would be hilariously funny and devastatingly sad and vaguely life-affirming by the end.

Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
What are some accomplishments of which you are really proud?
Hmm, pride's a funny one. I know what it is in a negative sense, but I'm not sure I've ever truly understood what it is in a positive sense. (I'm probably over-thinking this one.)
Which tv/streaming-series did you find surprisingly good, and which one surprisingly bad? (now or in the past)
Not being especially interested in the royal family, I never expected to absolutely love The Crown, but it's just the most fantastically compelling soap opera. I get a similar buzz off it that I used to from watching Dallas. In fact, it often reminds me of Dallas. Everyone's trapped. Everyone's Sue Ellen.

It's not that it was bad exactly, but I was really disappointed by Desperate Housewives after all the hoo-ha about it being the new Knots Landing. I think it was the first massively hyped American series we got over here, after The Sopranos and Six Feet Under and 24 and all that lot, that I didn't like and I just couldn't understand why.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hmmm ... the first person that springs to mind is Mart Crowley, who wrote the play The Boys in the Band that we did a revival of a few years ago. He came over from New York for the opening at the Park Theatre and then again when it moved to the Vaudeville. He died at the beginning of this year, soon after finally winning a Tony, for the Broadway version of Boys, and just before the pandemic, which was pretty good timing. He was lovely -, so funny and kind and supportive and full of stories of starting out as a writer in New York and then moving to Hollywood. Famously, he and Natalie Wood were best mates, and I think she and Robert Wagner helped finance the original production of Boys which was a total game-changer in theatre.
I remember at the time reading in the Metro, the Standard or another publication that were doing this play. How amazing it must have been to have Matt Crowley's view of how he saw the characters. I watched the Netflix version this play earlier this year and thought it would have worked much better on the stage than on film. Have you seen that version and what did you think of it? Do you ever watch a play or film and compare how you interpreted a character with what another actor did with the role?

I would love to do a play at the Bush in London, cos it's my favourite theatre.
I've often thought it must be quite an intimidating theatre for actors because the audience are so close to them, they are on all sides so there's nowhere to hide and it's really informal so it could be easy to be distracted.

Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
How amazing it must have been to have Matt Crowley's view of how he saw the characters.
It was, it felt like a real privilege.
I watched the Netflix version this play earlier this year and thought it would have worked much better on the stage than on film. Have you seen that version and what did you think of it?
I haven't. I feel quite sentimental about our production and don't really want to see a bunch of famouses do it! I would quite like to watch the original 1970 film, with the original stage cast, one day. I kind of feel we owe them a big debt because doing what was such a controversial play at the time actually cost a lot of them their careers.

Do you ever watch a play or film and compare how you interpreted a character with what another actor did with the role?
I can't think of an instance. I suppose I've mostly done new plays, apart from Shakespeare stuff - oh and Rain Man. But we did that a long time after the film, and I avoided watching it again cos you don't want Dustin Hoffman's Oscar-winning performance in your head when you're trying to make it your own!
I've often thought it must be quite an intimidating theatre for actors because the audience are so close to them, they are on all sides so there's nowhere to hide and it's really informal so it could be easy to be distracted.
Did you ever go to the old Bush when it was above the pub? It was even smaller then! You used to have to walk across the stage to get to your seat. I loved it because it really felt like you were walking into the world of the play as soon as you entered the theatre. I love that sort of intensity.
I want to know if you have any favourite authors and novels?
Well, I did read all of Patricia Highsmith's murder books when I was younger and they were great. I find I don't read many novels these days - the last one was 'The Goldfinch' by Donna Tartt a few years ago, but I really loved it. I tend to read music-themed books instead. At the moment, I've got 'Good Night and Good Riddance: How Thirty-Five Years of John Peel Helped to Shape Modern Life', '1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die' and 'Electric Shock: From the Gramophone to the iPhone - 125 Years of Pop Music' on the go. The one novel I do keep going back to (aside from Lee Raintree's' Dallas'!) is 'Endless Love' by Scott Spencer, which has a terrible title, was made into two terrible films and inspired one gloopy ballad, but is a really riveting story.
Also, how does your ideal Saturday evening look like? Food, beverage, company, things to do etc.
A scary episode Doctor Who, a big plate of spag bol and then all down the pub for a pint.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Did you ever go to the old Bush when it was above the pub? It was even smaller then! You used to have to walk across the stage to get to your seat. I loved it because it really felt like you were walking into the world of the play as soon as you entered the theatre. I love that sort of intensity.
No, I never did, I've only been there since in moved to the old library and that seemed small enough. You could probably fit a full house audience all in a number 207 bus that goes past the theatre.

K

Karin Schill

Hi @James from London

I hope you're enjoying your week in the spotlight. :)

I have thought of a couple of questions for you as well.

1. Having read through your answers I think that you've worked with theatre, movies and television. So I am wondering which of these three is your favorite to act in and why?

2. From an actors POV, how should a good director be?

3. Which production that you have acted in so far is your favorite and why?

4. How did your career get started? (when did you first start to act etc)

5. What are your interests? (things you do in your sparetime)

6. What's your best concert so far?

7. What's your favorite vacation spot?

That's all I can think of for now! :)

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I hope you're enjoying your week in the spotlight.
So far so good, thanks, Karin!
Having read through your answers I think that you've worked with theatre, movies and television. So I am wondering which of these three is your favorite to act in and why?
It really depends on the parts you get and the people you work with. So far, most of my best experiences have been in theatre - but TV pays better!
From an actors POV, how should a good director be?
It's hard to say. Directors have different approaches just as actors do. I guess the worst are those who are really controlling and tell you exactly how to do it - how to speak, even how to stand - rather than having the confidence to let you find your own way. But it can also be great to have a very specific direction: "As the camera moves in, count to three and then slowly blink." I think maybe the best directors already know what they want and gently guide you in that direction while letting you feel like you've worked it out for yourself (if that makes sense). Failing that, being told "just say it quicker" usually does the trick!
Which production that you have acted in so far is your favorite and why?
It's hard to choose, but maybe the most special was a film called Lava. I hadn't had a paid acting job for about three years and had more or less given it up to do stand-up when, out of the blue, the brother of someone I'd worked with asked me to play the co-lead in a film he'd written and was directing. I couldn't believe I was being paid to act, let alone in a proper film, let alone in such a great part. It was very humbling and very special. Even though I used to go to the cinema almost every day and used to read all the movie magazines - Empire, Premiere, Movieline - every month, I soon realised I had no idea how films were actually made! I learnt a lot and loved every minute of it. It was one those strange times you feel nostalgic for even as it's happening, cos it's not like doing a play where you do the whole thing over and over again - on film, once a scene is done, it's done, and you'll never get to do it again. On the plus side, a film (hopefully) lasts forever whereas theatre disappears.
How did your career get started? (when did you first start to act etc)
I did a Theatre Studies Foundation Course when I left school. It was just a way to get out of having to do a proper job really. But as I say, it took me ages to get into drama school cos I was so rubbish. After that, a friend of mine wrote a one-man play for me about a trainspotter, and eventually, that became a big hit at the Edinburgh Festival and that was enough to get me off the dole for a couple of years.
What are your interests? (things you do in your sparetime)
If you don't mind, I'm going to answer that in an extremely self-indulgent slightly roundabout way, by listing all the podcasts I subscribe to. What better way to discover a man's interests?

Pop music
Blood on the Tracks
Chart Music - the TOTP Podcast
Hit Parade
James Acaster’s Perfect Sounds
Popcast
Questlove Supreme
Rolling Stone Music Now
Speed of Sound
Switched on Pop
The Ace Records Podcast
Track by Track
Your Favourite Band Sucks

Country music
Cocaine and Rhinestones
Dolly Parton’s America

The Beatles
I am the Egg Pod
Screw it, We’re Just Gonna Talk About the Beatles

Bob Dylan
Is it Rolling, Bob?

David Bowie
Album to Album

Manic Street Preachers
Do you Love Us?

Joy Division/New Order
Transmissions

Doctor Who
All of Time and Space
The Sirens of Audio
Too Hot for TV!
On the Time Lash

The Sopranos
Talking Sopranos

Films
Kermode and Mayo’s Film Review
I Blame Dennis Hopper, aka The Film Scene with Ileana Douglas
The Secret History of Hollywood

Books
Backlisted
Book Shambles

Acting (sort of)
Dead Eyes

Death
Grief Cast

George the Poet
Have You Heard George’s Podcast?

Segregation in the American school system
Nice White Parents

White supremacists
Slow Burn

Football
That Peter Crouch Podcast

People talking about random things
Adam and Joe
Scott Mills Daily
Scott Mills and Chris Stark
This American Life

Random people being interviewed
Desert Island Discs
Distinct Nostalgia (only the eps with old soap actors)
Here’s the Thing with Alec Baldwin
The Blindboy Podcast

Going by that list, I'm four times more interested in Doctor Who than I am in death, which seems about right.

What's your best concert so far?

In recent times, Sleaford Mods. Before that, it's all of a bit of a blur!
What's your favorite vacation spot?
I haven't really been on holiday since 1993 so I don't really have one. The Malvern Hills are nice though.

Last edited:

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
A few more questions if I may, James.

I remember you once nominating John Grant (who I hadn’t heard of before) in the music threads and since then I’ve become a fan of his. The same thing happened when you nominated PUSH by The Cure (I’ve always liked The Cure) that song wasn’t on my radar until then and now that’s become my favourite song by them.

Do you have a favourite song by The Cure and a favourite album?

Can you remember when you first became a fan of The Cure?

Were you also a fan of Siouxsie And The Banshees?

Have you seen The Cure in concert?

And finally about you…

You must have a terrific memory to be able to learn all the lines you need for a role and especially for doing Stand Up comedy or a one man show. I was going to ask how do you remember it all, but I guess it’s just something you’re able to do.

Are you musical in any way? and can you sing?

Have you ever considered trying to write a song?

Thanks again for all your replies.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I remember you once nominating John Grant (who I hadn’t heard of before) in the music threads and since then I’ve become a fan of his. The same thing happened when you nominated PUSH by The Cure (I’ve always liked The Cure) that song wasn’t on my radar until then and now that’s become my favourite song by them.
Oh, that's great! I've been introduced to lots of great music and stuff on the forum so it's nice to know it works the other way round as well.
Do you have a favourite song by The Cure and a favourite album?
I have to admit the last few times I've listened to them they haven't quite hit the spot for me the way they used to so I'm giving them a rest for a while, but if I was to pick an album of theirs to listen to now it would be The Cure from 2004. As for a song, I'd pick 'The End of the World' from the same album.
Can you remember when you first became a fan of The Cure?
Yes, my friend Will at school introduced me to them and Joy Division at about the same time, and I instantly renounced Abba and all their Swedish ways.
Were you also a fan of Siouxsie And The Banshees?
Oh yes, I've always liked the Banshees.
Have you seen The Cure in concert?
Yes, five or six times. I stopped after they started playing really big venues cos I don't really like stadiums much. I did see them at the Royal Albert Hall about ten years ago, though, and that was brilliant.
You must have a terrific memory to be able to learn all the lines you need for a role and especially for doing Stand Up comedy or a one man show. I was going to ask how do you remember it all, but I guess it’s just something you’re able to do.
The more you do it, the easier it becomes. If it's an interesting, meaty script, I actually really enjoy the process of learning it. But when it's a fiddly little line on one page and then another few lines three pages later etc, then it's a bit of a pain.
Are you musical in any way?
God no.
can you sing?
God no.
Have you ever considered trying to write a song?
God no.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hey James, here are my questions for you today:
  1. If a film studio was going to make a film of your life, who would you want to be cast to play you?
  2. What period or event in your life would you want the film to focus on?
  3. What are people often surprised to learn about you?

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If a film studio was going to make a film of your life, who would you want to be cast to play you?
Philip Seymour Hoffman doing what he did in the film 'Happiness' would have been perfect.
What period or event in your life would you want the film to focus on?
Hmm, tricky ... the eight years I spent sitting in church basements trying to recover from alcoholism before realising I'd completely misdiagnosed myself in the first place might be worth a scene or two.
What are people often surprised to learn about you?
I think it's more the other way round - what I'm surprised to learn about myself from other people. My friend Steel told me a while ago, "Your trouble is you take everything personally." And straight away I said, "No I don- oh. Oh, hang on. Oh I do, don't I?"

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Globally the most popular characters in the 1980's prime time soap operas were J.R., Alexis and Angela. Imho Knots didn't really have a standout character, when compared to the other three. The show had like a circle of equally important characters, one of which was Abby.

James from London if you had the opportunity back in the day for J.R., Alexis, Angela and Abby to be in a scene all together what would've done? Most importantly which of the four do you think would've been victorious, as they walked out the door?

Ray and Donna have linked Jock and Ellie up, at the Krebbs' bungalow. Their intention is for them to reconcile their differences, over the D.O.A. versus Takapa business and to halt a marriage separation. This is the penultimate scene, to include ill Jim Davis acting as patriarch Jock, (a scene from season 3; DVD-4, 1980 - '81):

Ray refuses to accept any Ewing Oil claim, Jock recently provided. Ellie then speaks:

"I can't let you do that Ray. I guess, I guess the truth as finally come home. All this time I couldn't let go of Gary. I couldn't let go of the hope that he would come back to Southfork. Gary is not coming back. It is because he doesn't want to. This time he wasn't driven away. He left because he wasn't happy and you were right; I did blame you for that Ray. It was easier to blame you than looking at myself and see the truth. Because you were Ray's father Jock, I focused all that hurt and hate on you being part of Takapa but it never was Takapa. I used it as an excuse. It was all inside of me and Ray you are a Ewing. I want you to stay!"

Ellie moves away from Ray, to face Jock and then the waterworks really start in earnest.

Jock: "Does that include me too?"

Ellie: "Oh yes! Forgive me. I almost destroyed everything."

Jock: "Nothing to forgive. I love you Ellie!"

Ellie: "I love you Jock!"

The frame freezes on Ellie, all emotional. Fade to black, the theme tune and the closing credits.

Romain

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hi James!

I just checked your IMDb page and am sorry to report I haven't seen any of your film or TV work, although I have heard high praise for one show you have been on from friends.

Here are a couple of questions I've always been curious about when it comes to actors who have worked in film and TV.

1) Do you watch your own work or avoid it like the plague?
2) Have you ever seen yourself dubbed in another language or met a foreign actor who lent their voice to one of your performances?
3) Considering not every single audition leads to landing the job, do you pay particular attention to the performance of the actor who got cast in the part you auditioned for when you see the finished product?
4) Do you keep an archive of press clippings/reviews about the projects you have worked on?
5) Have you ever felt like you or one of your co-stars were/was miscast in something? Absolutely no need to name names.

And now, when it comes to our beloved Primetime Soaps:

6) As a professional actor, there has probably been a moment or two when you might have questioned an actor's interpretation of a scene and felt like you would have done something completely different with the same material. Any such moment in particular that stuck with you?
7) Dallas had Susan Howard, Dynasty had Pamela Bellwood, Knots Landing had Constance McCashin... Who was Falcon Crest's most underutilized secret weapon in your opinion?
8) I am currently watching the Big Four following the original airdates and am currently just at the beginning of February 1985 (Knots Landing S6, Dallas S8, Dynasty S5 and Falcon Crest S4). I embarked on this journey years ago (I've been at it since 2014 at least) and I still have just reached the middle point of Dallas (Jenna is on trial for Naldo Marchetta's murder and Pam just told J.R. in no uncertain terms that she was joining Cliff and Jamie in their claim to two thirds of Ewing Oil). And I don't even bother taking the time to write reviews for each soapy week like you do. How long has it taken you to complete the entire rewatch? (Sidenote: I plan on adding The Colbys to the roster in due time and will hit a roadblock with Falcon Crest at some point, since I can't find the last 10 episodes of S7 anywhere)
9) Having just been introduced to Donna Reed as Miss Ellie and Ali MacGraw as Lady Ashley, I find myself troubled by both, as I don't consider either a bad actress per se, but just completely miscast: I would rather watch Reed as a Lady Ashley type and MacGraw as a Miss Ellie type (not necessarily a proper switch, MacGraw being too young to play Miss Ellie, obviously). This makes me wonder: are there any other two actors from the Big Four who you feel would have worked better if cast the other way around?

I'll leave it at that for now as I feel that's already quite a lot to answer. Looking forward to your replies! :)

Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
James from London if you had the opportunity back in the day for J.R., Alexis, Angela and Abby to be in a scene all together what would've done? Most importantly which of the four do you think would've been victorious, as they walked out the door?
Hmm, interesting! As JR and Abby have already teamed up in the past, it would make sense for them to do so again, so maybe Angela and Alexis would form an alliance as well - they'd make an interestingly unlikely double act. Which team would win? Well, it's unusual for Abby to be defeated so let's say for that once, she and JR are outwitted by Angela and Alexis. That leaves Angela and Alexis to double-cross each other. You'd expect cool-headed Angela to triumph over volatile Alexis, so a more surprising twist would have Alexis turning the tables on Angela instead -- revealing that she was in league with JR and Abby all along. Buh-bye, Angie baby!
I just checked your IMDb page and am sorry to report I haven't seen any of your film or TV work
Haha! I'm not surprised. There's a couple of things on there I've never even heard of!
Do you watch your own work or avoid it like the plague?
It depends. When I was doing the film Lava I mentioned earlier, the director refused to let me - specifically me - watch any of the rushes as we went along cos he thought it might make me self-conscious about what I was doing and try to change it. That made sense to me, so when I did two seasons of a sitcom a while back, I really tried to avoid watching any of the episodes when they went out and just trusted the director instead.

When something's completely finished, I'll watch it if it's the kind of thing I would have watched anyway, even if I wasn't in it, but otherwise I mostly won't. So I've seen Lava loads of times cos I love it as a film, but I've never really watched the sitcom I did cos it's not really my cup of tea. (Obviously, you have to watch clips of your own stuff when you're putting together a showreel, but other than that I try to avoid it.)

Recently, I've had to watch myself more than I'd like to because, due to the pandemic, the only way to audition is by self-tape, whereby you film yourself doing a scene (or pay someone £40 to film it for you if you're as technically inept as I am) before sending it off to your agent, and then hiding under a table and cringing.

Have you ever seen yourself dubbed in another language or met a foreign actor who lent their voice to one of your performances?
Gosh, no I haven't. That's never even occurred to me before! I'm not sure if anything I've done has been dubbed.
not every single audition leads to landing the job
Never a truer word ...
do you pay particular attention to the performance of the actor who got cast in the part you auditioned for when you see the finished product?
I'm such a bad loser and very jealous, so I normally won't watch it all! The one exception is The Office (a massively successful British sitcom) where it was between me and one other actor, Mackenzie Crook, for the part of Gareth. I read for the part three or four times, but then when I finally realised who I was up against, I realised I didn't stand a chance cos he was just perfect for it. And so it proved. And the series was so brilliant, I could easily watch and enjoy it without sobbing bitterly into my Radio Times.
Do you keep an archive of press clippings/reviews about the projects you have worked on?
Not anymore. I was cured of reading reviews during the 1998 Edinburgh Festival after the Scotsman newspaper printed a headline next to my picture that read "The Shame of the Fringe!"
Have you ever felt like you or one of your co-stars were/was miscast in something? Absolutely no need to name names.
Oh yes - actors are very critical of other actors (just not to their faces)!
there has probably been a moment or two when you might have questioned an actor's interpretation of a scene and felt like you would have done something completely different with the same material. Any such moment in particular that stuck with you?
I find it hard to imagine myself in one of the '80s soaps cos I'm so the opposite of glamorous, but yeah I do sometimes look at someone and think, "Why don't I believe you?" Cos I've started re-re-re-watching DYNASTY recently, one person that springs to mind is Dana Carrington. I could be completely wrong here, but it feels as if, before she got the role, she'd watched the show and thought, "These actors are so wooden; I could do better than that!" So, rather than submit to that fascinating DYNASTY-verse blankness, she's gone completely the other way and emotes at every opportunity. She seems really eager to demonstrate how good she is at Acting and Thinking and Feeling and Reacting, and it's a bit exhausting to watch. And then Adam seems to catch it from her and he starts doing it too! I really like him during the rest of the series but when the two of them are together, I want them to just calm down a bit. But it's so easy to criticise from the outside - I've got a nasty suspicion that if I was in their shoes, I'd fall into exactly the same trap.
Dallas had Susan Howard, Dynasty had Pamela Bellwood, Knots Landing had Constance McCashin... Who was Falcon Crest's most underutilized secret weapon in your opinion?
Ooh, good question! Maggie has a similar sympathetic quality, but you could hardly call her underutilized. So maybe Julia. Even though she got the most sensational storyline, it always felt like we never saw quite enough of her. So yes, Julia. Donna, Claudia, Laura and Julia.
I am currently watching the Big Four following the original airdates
That's great! I don't know anyone else who's ever done it! Isn't it fascinating?
How long has it taken you to complete the entire rewatch?
I started in 2013 and I reached New DALLAS almost exactly a year ago. Just thirteen "weeks" left and I'm done!
Having just been introduced to Donna Reed as Miss Ellie and Ali MacGraw as Lady Ashley, I find myself troubled by both, as I don't consider either a bad actress per se, but just completely miscast: I would rather watch Reed as a Lady Ashley type and MacGraw as a Miss Ellie type (not necessarily a proper switch, MacGraw being too young to play Miss Ellie, obviously).
Hmm, I've grown quite fond of New Ellie. It's a very subtle performance, I think. And Lady Ashley just makes me laugh - she's so relentlessly perky! I'm not sure there's much else McGraw could do with the part, that's just the way it's written. Later, when she gets together with Jeff and realises he's still hung up on Fallon, she's allowed to be a little bit sad, which gives her a bit more to play, and I think she does that well.
are there any other two actors from the Big Four who you feel would have worked better if cast the other way around?
Hmm, that's never really occurred to me, I don't think. Weren't Ray Krebbs and Cliff originally up for each other's roles? It's impossible to imagine now, of course, but it would have been fascinating to see.

Great questions, thank you!

Last edited: