Jerry Stiller dies

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Awfully sad, he was very funny. Ben Stiller is one of my favourite actors, thoughts are with him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52616060

Comedian Jerry Stiller, best known for his recurring role as George Costanza's father on TV's Seinfeld, has died aged 92, his actor son Ben has confirmed.

"I'm sad to say that my father passed away from natural causes," Ben wrote on Twitter, calling him "a great dad and grandfather" and "dedicated husband".

Born in New York in 1927, Stiller spent many years in a comedy team with his wife Anne Meara, who died in 2015.

His other roles included Arthur Spooner in TV sitcom The King of Queens.

Stiller appeared with son Ben in several film comedies, among them Zoolander, Zoolander 2 and The Heartbreak Kid.

He also had roles in both the original 1988 film of Hairspray and the musical adaptation that followed in 2007.

For many, though, he will be best remembered as Jason Alexander's on-screen father in Seinfeld, a role he played for six years.

His role as the volatile and cantankerous Frank Costanza saw him nominated for a Primetime Emmy in 1997.

John Randolph was originally cast in the part but only made one appearance before Stiller replaced him.

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
This is an awfully misleading title... :p

Jerry Stiller died, who played George Costanzas father on Seinfeld.

Ome

Admin
Reaction score
This is an awfully misleading title..

Misleading?

First I thought the comedian Jerry Seinfield had died, then I read it was Ben Stiller and now I find it's neither and the one who has died is the actor from the series Seinfield!

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
God I'm so sorry - completely my fault. I've amended the thread title. Genuine mistake, thanks @tommie for pointing it out.

Ome

Admin
Reaction score
Awfully sad, he was very funny. Ben Stiller is one of my favourite actors, thoughts are with him.
Ah - that makes more sense, I thought it was Ben Stiller who had passed away.

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Read it when I woke up this morning. Sad way to start the day.

I loved Frank Costanza on Seinfeld and his similar character Arthur Spooner on The King of Queens.

I recently finished watching the entire run of King of Queens. Re-runs of it and of Seinfeld are on TV every weekday in Sweden. On and on and on, from first to last season and again and again. Both series with 2 episodes per day.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Enthusiast
Reaction score
Medals
Like George Burns, Jerry Stiller started out with a successful double act with his wife before finding even greater fame in his older years. I remember seeing Stiller & (Anne) Meara guest star in a number of shows during the seventies and I have one of their comedy albums which I've played so much I've almost memorised it. :)