• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Jillian Michaels doubles down on ketogenic diet attack

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Keto isn't only about eating meats.

Last edited:

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Two doctors’ journeys on Keto.

Dr. James McCarter shares his health performance for a year:

Dr Keith Runyan shares how he's managed his form of Type 1 Diabetes:

Last edited:

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don’t know if anyone else disagrees, but with regards to carbs, my understanding is that the daily amount consumed on a low carb diet is in the range of 100g to 150g.

The standard ketogenic diet (SKD) is usually described as being “very low-carb, moderate-protein and high-fat diet”. The parameters are usually accepted to be 5% net carbs (total carbs – fibre only), 20% protein and 75% fat. The focus of the SKD is not on calorie counting. If you are actively seeking to lose weight, then that 75% fat component of your diet is not all dietary fat. Ie, you consume less than 75% in fat, and allow your body to draw the rest of the fat from what’s already stored in it.

To transition from a low carb diet to a ketogenic diet, it’s my understanding that a person would want to modify their current diet to bring their net carbs down to 40g or less, and do it comfortably without stress, ie not a process to be rushed. Then keep reducing their net carbs to what works best for them.

(Marty Kendall says on his website optimisingnutrition.com, “Unless you require therapeutic ketosis for the treatment of cancer, epilepsy, Alzheimers, Parkinson or dementia, you should be chasing vitality, health and nutrition along with stable blood sugar levels rather than some arbitrary ketone level.” He has a very long, interesting article here: https://optimisingnutrition.com/2017/10/21/redesigning-nutrition-from-first-principles/)​

Folk could still eat 3 meals a day, and not have to do intermittent fasting. An eating window of 8 hours and a fasting window of 16 hours, (usually expressed as ‘16/8’) is encouraged. In healthy keto, ‘no snacking’ is a rule even if IF is not followed.

All types of ketogenic diets have these different stages in the cycle: Adapt, Adjust, Build, Maintain. In the SKD, in all stages protein is maintained at 20% of the diet.

Some folk feel that dietary fat intake on the SKD shouldn’t exceed 70%. And they increase the dietary intake of fat over the stages, while decreasing reliance on stored body fat in tandem. As a rule of thumb, they follow: 25% dietary fat in the Adapt stage; 40% in the Adjust stage; 60% in the Build stage; and 70% dietary fat in the Maintain stage.

I’m uncertain though if they still allocate 5% to using stored body fat in the Maintain stage, or if they increase net carbs to 10% of the diet. The net carbs (total carbs less fibre) is therefore worked out for each stage based on the figures above for fats and protein.

All that being said, here’s Dr Nick Delgado’s reply to Dr Berg’s reply to Jillian Michael’s opinion of the Keto diet. And Dr Delgado starts with the protein, reminding us that meats/diets which are high in protein and in fat but have no carbs “are unhealthy under any circumstances”.

And here's the YouTube channel What I've Learned, with a video titled The Story of Fat: Why We Were Wrong about Health

Last edited:

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Edited to add:
According to the Florida Institute for Human & Machine Cognition (FIHMC), back in 2014, “Obesity is a condition of excess fat accumulation in adipocytes where the person is literally stuck in storage mode diverting a disproportionate amount of calories into fat cells as opposed to oxidation. Thus it is more productive to think of obesity as a problem in 'energy flow' rather than energy expenditure (i.e., calories in, calories out). The most efficient approach to accelerate the body's ability to access and burn body fat is to restrict dietary carbohydrate while increasing fat intake for a period of several weeks, after which fatty acids and ketones become the primary fuel at rest and during submaximal exercise. The coordinated set of metabolic adaptations that ensure proper inter-organ fuel supply in the face of low carbohydrate availability is referred to as keto- adaptation. This unique metabolic state has recently been shown to have widespread and profound therapeutic and performance-enhancing effects ranging from reversing type 2 diabetes to shrinking tumours to allowing ultra-endurance runners to set course records. This presentation will discuss the physiologic effects of very low carbohydrate diets with an emphasis on their unique effects on both features of metabolic syndrome and human performance.

Here's a FIHMC 2014 video of Professor Jeff Volek, speaking on The Many Facets of Keto-Adaptation: Health, Performance and Beyond:

Re: proteins… I forgot to mention in my earlier post that on SKD, the rule of thumb for determining adequate daily protein intake (to minimize/avoid muscle cannibalization) without being excessive in intake for this type of diet is between 0.36g to 0.70g per lb of bodyweight. (The upper end of the range is for folk who exercise a lot, are stressed or just quite young and very active.) And that amount of protein should represent 20% of the diet, hence why I said Keto (SKD really) doesn't put the focus on calorie counting. Just remember that a piece of (boneless) meat or poultry is not all protein. For example, 150g of ham (around 5.3oz) could have just 25g of protein, or more but in the low double-digits (per online nutritional data).

Last edited:

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'll post here after I get my laptop back from the repair guys. They're waiting on spares.