• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Jimmy Todd becomes Dominique

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In the first draft of episode 86 Dominique is called Jimmy Todd
and she invites Alexis to a glass of decent champagne

20180227_140037.jpg

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I recall reading in the TV Guide entry for that week that her named was "Jimmy Todd".

Then it turns out she's actually Billie Cox in the form of Dominique Deveraux as played by Diahann Carroll.

DYNASTY was just so complicated!

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There´s also no rain on the wedding day, Fallon scratches her face until we see blood come to her cheeks.
Alexis tries to run when Cooper wants to arrest her. She beginns to pummel him when he stops her.
We see Jeff´s car speeding away as an police car approaches - that´s it. No drive through the rain.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Basically they just changed everything all the time right up to the day they were shooting there were rewrites and recasts and lots of steaming shit. INSECURITY... No real vision or firm idea of what DYNASTY was. A style over substance thing for sure.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Basically they just changed everything all the time right up to the day they were shooting there were rewrites and recasts and lots of steaming shit. INSECURITY... No real vision or firm idea of what DYNASTY was. A style over substance thing for sure.
And while I'm sure that happens all the time in TV production, it does scream of a particularly raging neurosis with DYNASTY.

So the last thing they needed was S.A.D. to prove it. Further.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
And while I'm sure that happens all the time in TV production, it does scream of a particularly raging neurosis with DYNASTY.

So the last thing they needed was S.A.D. to prove it. Further.
The thing is that now shows don't get away with it. Shows with all those issues last 2 seasons if lucky.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Also... The bar at La Mirage is called The Matador Bar? Sure! That's what I got from the décor too.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The thing is that now shows don't get away with it. Shows with all those issues last 2 seasons if lucky.
Shows today seem to have their progression -- and even their finales -- planned in advance of the series even premiering.

I've been watching S1 thru S3 of FALCON CREST, and while there are some fast ones and switcharoos pulled, too, which seem to defy logic, it's done with such hutzpah that you're just pulled along by the thrust of the thing.

But, to be fair, S2 of DYNASTY achieved the same thing. But once S.A.D. kicked in with S3, the smoke and mirrors was all too brain-deadeningly apparent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And sometimes they're trying too hard to be clever. And then I find it even more unforgivable when it fails to entertain.
Absolutely correct. And that "trying to hard to be clever" thing has really turned me against so many TV dramas over the last several years -- especially when all the characters are constantly trying to shock the others with their own unflinchingly realistic worldview with every line of every conversation. It's exhausting and doesn't tend to read true, no matter how earnest and artfully worded or competently acted.