Joan Collins defends ex husband

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound

Dame Joan Collins has said allegations that her ex-husband Anthony Newley was a paedophile are "absolutely untrue" after her son made the claim in a national newspaper.

Artist Sacha Newley told the Sunday Times: "He was a paedophile. My father was drawn to youthfulness; he thought innocence was an aphrodisiac."

He his father's sexual desires as “dangerous” and “destructive”. But Dame Joan, 84, rubbished her son’s claims.

She said in a statement: "As far as I'm concerned this is absolutely untrue. I have nothing further to add."

The actress' daughter, Tara, also spoken out against her brother, and said she was "deeply upset" by his allegations against their late father.

Newley died in 1999 Credit: Harry Dempster /Getty / Hulton Archive
The 54-year-old said: "I was shocked by my brother's comments. From my end, I don't recognise the man he is describing. I had an incredibly close relationship with my father and am deeply upset by these false allegations."

Singer-songwriter Newley, who died aged 67 in 1999 following a battle with cancer, was Dame Joan's second husband. They were married in 1963 but divorced seven years later.

Rumours had swirled for years in Hollywood about his sexual interests but nothing was ever proved.

Sacha, 52, told The Sunday Times he believes his father's 1969 film Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe And Find True Happiness? was "a confession of paedophilia".

Describing growing up in Hollywood, Sacha said he was often exposed to sex. He said: "My father put sex front and centre. He exposed me to all of that - it was absolutely inappropriate."

He added: "My father was a great, flawed talent. He was a classic sex addict."

Newley was best known for his music, which included co-writing hit songs Feeling Good and James Bond theme tune Goldfinger. He also co-wrote and starred in musicals Stop The World - I Want To Get Off and The Roar Of The Greasepaint - The Smell Of The Crowd.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Joan herself said Tony had a fetish for teen girls. It's like her getting upset at Shirley Jones (and claiming she "lied") for Shirley outing Joan and Tony in the '60s asking Shirley and Jack Cassidy for a foursome and getting turned down, yet Collins went on about things just as bad in her Past Imperfect memoir.

But here my question: is Sacha really too stupid to wait until Joan's left him her stuff??

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know, maybe Sacha noticed things Joan didn't. I mean she didn't know that film they made together was taking the piss out of her until after she's seen it.

Last edited:

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Have any of you read Joan's novel Prime Time? It's years since I've read it but from what I recall, lead character Chloe, star of hit primetime soap Saga, was married to a rock star who cheated on her with at least one underage girl. After her husband being a complete dog to her for much of the book, Chloe reconciles with him at the end and they walk down a beach, reminiscing about biscuits from England. And all I could think was "she's tried to make a love story out of getting back together with a paedophile". That was my first thought. My second was "how on earth did I stick this trash out until the end". Anyway, at the time, I thought that the lech of a rock star character might have been a dig at her recently ex husband "The Swede". But then it felt a bit random that he'd be the character that she would end up with. So maybe it was a composite of all of her husbands up to that point.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When I read it, I remember thinking Collins really had the hots for Nader based on the novel counterparts.
Yes, she's rarely tried to hide it, really. She apparently got mad at him a few years ago because he'd said something she didn't like.

Nader admits that the only reason he wasn't written out of the show like so many others were so quickly was because Joan was attracted to him or to Dex.

Gatsbyesque

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Joan herself said Tony had a fetish for teen girls. It's like her getting upset at Shirley Jones (and claiming she "lied") for Shirley outing Joan and Tony in the '60s asking Shirley and Jack Cassidy for a foursome and getting turned down, yet Collins went on about things just as bad in her Past Imperfect memoir.

But here my question: is Sacha really too stupid to wait until Joan's left him her stuff??

I don't know, but Sacha is adorable.