John Ross’s Character

stevew

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Medals
Recently I posted a series of questions and then tried to address the ideas brought up in the questions with two opposing show starters (A or B) about the character of John Ross - original thread. I was surprised that so many had wanted to see John Ross like his character on TNT and I couldn’t address this idea in either of my show starters. I guess I just didn’t like the character as written, though there were some fun aspects. Maybe I’m not seeing what others see.

Please explain what you like about John Ross as seen on TNT.

stevew

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Medals
Recently I posted a series of questions and then tried to address the ideas brought up in the questions with two opposing show starters (A or B) about the character of John Ross - original thread. I was surprised that so many had wanted to see John Ross like his character on TNT and I couldn’t address this idea in either of my show starters. I guess I just didn’t like the character as written, though there were some fun aspects. Maybe I’m not seeing what others see.

Please explain what you like about John Ross as seen on TNT.

BTW in my poll when I said:
As seen in TNT

I also added:
(a 40 year old looser)

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
I can’t honestly say there was anything I liked about the character at all. Nothing against the actor himself but I just didn’t find the character very compelling. I actually found him quite boring but that’s just me

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Medals
I'm glad you said that @DallasFanForever - I like the actor a lot, and have met Josh Henderson - and I'm gonna love John Ross because he's Sue Ellen's son ;) but he was too hard - much too hard. Not Josh's fault due to how he was written but I didn't have any love for John Ross in TNT, other than him being Sue Ellen's son. I hated Pamela as well, but that's a different conversation.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Sarah I didn’t know you loved Sue Ellen? You really need to be more clear on that!

Just kidding

I just want to add that I felt like in TNT Dallas they spent too much time trying to make John Ross like his father, which I get. I understand his father is one of the most iconic characters of all time but it just felt like they went too far trying to pattern him exactly after J.R. instead of developing the character on its own. I could be wrong on that but that was always my observation. I didn’t watch the entire three seasons but from what I saw they were always trying to make him into another JR instead of allowing the character room to grow. And there could only be one J.R. A wink and a nod to his daddy once in awhile I can understand but I just think they overdid it at times

lbf522

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
I hated how the writers wrote for John Ross. They wrote him as a loser that everything he did blew up in his face except for his rescuing Emma. Of all of JR's traits to give to him, they chose cheating? That was laziness on part of the writers. There were possibilities not explored.

JR's son married to Cliff's daughter was drama enough.

As for Pamela, as it has been said, the Ewings had already met her so this was silly. Also, her being nasty which made no sense or where it came from.