JR and Sue Ellen One Shot Thread

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
This is probably silly, but just a little idea that came to me. Feel free to add your own One Shots to this thread.

Set in and around 1987, AU

SPIDER

JR sat on some nearby rocks looking up at the stars. It was a long time since he had camped out, but luckily the skills that Jock had driven in to him and Bobby had stuck. The fire that he had made was providing some much needed heat as the night air cooled over the range, Southfork barely visible in the distance as darkness fell. As he sat stoking the flames with a stick. he heard familiar footsteps approaching.

Sue Ellen walked towards him, dressed in jeans, hiking boots and a warm jacket that he had never seen her in before. JR smiled to himself. It was an oversized coat and he would lay odds she stole it out of his closet. She hated camping, he loved it. He hated horses, she loved them. She'd tied her horse up to graze nearby, JR had abandoned his car on a nearby dirt track. Everyone had known better than to ask him to ride out here.

"They asleep?" he asked her from where he sat.

"They're in the tent", she answered. "Whether or not they go to sleep is another matter", Sue Ellen said, sitting on a pile of rocks opposite him, bringing her hands to the fire for warmth. He observed her, sitting there in minimal to no make up, shivering and not even trying to hide the fact she had only come to keep John Ross and Christopher happy.

"Where's Bobby?" JR asked.

"In his tent too.."

JR nodded and lifted a thermos cup. "Here..." he said, handing it around the fire to her. "You're shivering".

She took it asking, "What is it?"

"Campfire coffee", JR told her with a grin.

Sue Ellen tasted it, allowing the cup to warm her hands and she sighed as the liquid went down her throat. "Mmmm....it's good...thank you..."

JR took a sip from what looked to be a hipflask and she watched him as he stared into the flames. A few moments of palpable silence passed between them before Sue Ellen said,

"Well, I'm going to try to get some sleep..."

JR nodded in acceptance. Neither one had wanted to broach the subject of there not being enough tents for all of them. They had been in such a hurry to get John Ross and Christopher out of the house before they exploded with excitement that they figured they would sort it out later on. Sue Ellen had been naive enough to think she would be in John Ross' tent, an idea he had very quickly dispersed upon the erecting of the 'base' as he and Christopher were calling it.

She and JR were getting along better. She'd seen to it that his latest mistress, Mandy Winger was gone from their lives, which had not only impressed JR, but had also shown him that she was regaining an interest in him. She wasn't drinking anymore, and he could see much of her old spark returning. It was a miracle that she'd even agreed to come on this camp-out, knowing that she would be so close to him. He didn't want to rock the boat by pressuring her. Besides, this wasn't the ideal place for a sexual reunion.

JR was distracted from his thoughts when he heard a yelp coming from Sue Ellen's tent. He laughed, almost out loud. Whatever it was was sure to be more frightened of Sue Ellen than she could be of it, but JR used the signal as an excuse to go and see what was wrong.

Pulling down the zip with ease, JR kneeled to the height of the arched entrance and tried not to laugh when he saw Sue Ellen sitting with her knees hunched up around her, on the sheets and sleeping bags which made up the makeshift bed.

"You alright?" he asked.

"Mmm-mmm", Sue Ellen nodded, her voice high pitched.

"Let me guess. Spider?"

"It's huge", she said, as JR followed her eyes across the tent. There on the inside, he could just make out the 8-legged creature which had happily taken up residence.

JR tried to be reassuring as he told her, "The light is shining on it honey. It's making it look bigger than it is." He slid carefully inside to where the spider was, gently grasped it in his hand and pretended to fling it across the range. In actual fact, he just let it scuttle off.

"It's going to come back in" Sue Ellen said.

"I threw it way over there Darlin'. It will be back at Southfork before us."

"Oh my God..." Sue Ellen said with a deep breath, realising she wasn't going to get any sleep.

JR couldn't help himself from laughing at her expression. "Well if it had been a snake, you'd have expected me to rescue you!" Sue Ellen spat, playing on JR's lifelong fear of snakes.

JR conceded with a nod. "Glad to have been your hero", he said softly.

Their eyes met for a second before Sue Ellen said, "Well...thank you JR.....would you like some of these blankets for outside?"

JR's face couldn't hide his disappointment but he quietly said, "Sure...I'll just....sleep by the fire..."

He lifted a couple of the sheets and was just about to pull the door zip closed, when he heard Sue Ellen softly say,

"JR?"

"Yeah?" he said, turning his head to look at her, the frustration in his voice obvious.

Sue Ellen was warmly smiling, her eyes looking at him like a puppy dog would it's devoted owner. "I'm joking..." she said. "There's plenty of room in here..."

JR's heart skipped a beat. "Are you sure?"

"Positive", Sue Ellen said almost immediately. "Besides I need a protector tonight..."

"Oh so that's it?" JR said, teasing her. "You only want me in here incase the spider comes back!"

Sue Ellen laughed, taking his hand and drawing him down to lie beside her. She turned his head to face her and JR was surprised when she lightly kissed him. "Thank you for rescuing me.." she whispered.

JR smiled at her, lost for words. He pulled the blankets up around them, making sure she had the majority of them to keep her warm. He was even more surprised when she cuddled into him, and he wrapped his arms around her, inviting her into his chest.

He hadn't felt this happy in a long time, as he held her, astounded by how safe she felt with him, as she fell into a deep sleep.

JR made a mental note to himself, to thank that spider, if he should indeed, run into it back at Southfork.

THE END

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Just having a bit of a writing block so thought in the meantime it would be nice to amuse myself and hopefully the rest of you with some little A-Z's...based on Sue Ellen and JR as always ;)

A: She observed him, just across the room and resigned herself to the fact that despite his faults, his arrogance and his overinflated ego that she adored this man and had from Day One.

B: He knew she was watching him. Every so often he would quickly glance and she'd look away. 'God help me...' he thought to himself, 'She is still the prettiest girl at the Ball..'

C: Sue Ellen lay beside him, watching the slow movement of his chest as he slept. She always felt safe when she nuzzled into him, asleep or awake.

D: JR was trying to listen to Bobby, but as he stood at the bar for pre-dinner drinks, he was more distracted by Sue Ellen's legs, as she entered the living room.

E: He knew and she knew. Sue Ellen didn't have to say a word to him. One look from those amazing eyes told him everything he needed to know and they had a million different expressions, each one unique.

F: The cold wind outside made JR even more grateful for the heat of the fire, and even more grateful for Sue Ellen as she curled against him, gently kissing the side of his face.

G: JR smoothed his hair, looking in the mirror and pouting. "Few more greys" he said as Sue Ellen watched him. Standing from her vanity she walked to him, kissing him softly on the lips and purring, "You're my silver fox..."

H: JR marvelled at the rings on Sue Ellen's hands as he watched her. Despite all their problems, she had never once taken the rings off those perfectly manicured hands.

I: Closing her eyes in exhaustion, she whispered "I.. love you..." as JR fought to stop a tear falling from his eyes. "Don't leave me Sue Ellen..." he begged.

J: He couldn't help but sob. Although she was still here, JR felt complete anguish as he wondered how he could possibly be JR Ewing without his Sue Ellen.

K: "What are you waiting for?" she asked him as JR said he wanted to kiss her, now that she was finally home.

L: "I'm not sure how to make it any clearer to you", JR told his snivelling ex-mistress, "...so I'm going to be very blunt. I love Sue Ellen. And only Sue Ellen. Is that any clearer?"

M: "Would you still marry me...if you could go back and do it all again?" JR asked her. "Every time..." she whispered.

N: "Now you..." she asked him. "Every day Miss Texas..." he said in response. "Every day..."

O: "I think we both know, it will never really be over..." JR told her, even as her new English husband approached them in the crowd.

P: "I have to prove it..." JR said as Sue Ellen sat back and let him think. "And prove it I will", he promised her.

Q: "Quite a challenge..." Sue Ellen said, brazenly winking at him, behind her new husband's back.

R: JR had fooled the man into thinking Sue Ellen's favourite roses were red.

S: "Is the sex better?" he asked to her surprise. "You can't ask me that!" she said. JR grinned. "But since you did...no. It isn't. I never expected it to be..." she said suggestively as she smiled at him.

T: "Then tell me..." JR whispered into her ear. "And tell him....tell him you're leaving..."

U: "John Ross is teaching me this fancy SMS speak..." JR typed into his cell. "Apparently it's cool to say 'I Luv U".

V: "I know I have been very, very stupid", JR told her.

W: Sue Ellen touched his hand and said, "We have a lot to talk about.."

X: The way he was mentally undressing her, made it seem as though he had X-ray vision.

Y: "Yellow!" the English man seethed. "You Bastard Ewing!"

Z: Sue Ellen gasped as she opened the package and lifted out the Zac Posen dress. The handwritten note inside the box read, "Wear this tonight...our first 'date..'. It was signed with his name and a kiss.

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
Well you know already that L is my favourite and that I & J nearly ripped my heart out.
Loved all the rest. And if The Long Road is giving you trouble any one of them would make awesome story ❤

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Aw thank you @Honkytonkangel - I'm just a bit stuck. The ideas are coming but not necessarily in the order I want them to!

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Great A-Z.
I especially love B and E. Since he did call her the prettiest girl at the ball and she always loved his eyes.

But the rest were great too. :)

If you are stuck with the long road why don't you write things out of order?

Looking forward to read more. :)

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Thanks guys.

Coincedentally I’ve discovered I will become rabid if interrupted when I’m reading a JR SE fanfic. Actually rabid @Honkytonkangel

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Great A-Z.
I especially love B and E. Since he did call her the prettiest girl at the ball and she always loved his eyes.

But the rest were great too. :)

If you are stuck with the long road why don't you write things out of order?

Looking forward to read more. :)

Thanks Karin! Good idea, I'm going to do that then try to piece it all together.