• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Just like the first time… it's the Steps thread

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
So I managed to get my tickets this morning in the presale. I ended up getting kind of similar to where I was the first night of the Tears tour. Lower North Tier row D which is kinda to the left hand side of the stage. I think these may be a bit closer though. More near where I was for Kylie's Golden tour. Kylie got very close to us as she had a little podium thing that she came to sing at at one point, quite near us. I think these seats are sort of between where I was Steps and Kylie. Steps have a catwalk for this tour, I think just from the centre of the stage, taking up the first few rows.

When I went to book the tickets this morning I saw that at the last minute they added meet and greet packages for Belfast! But I had already agreed to book tickets for me and two friends. So I am really hoping there is a second Belfast date as I really want to do the meet and greet!

Just after I booked my Tears On The Dancefloor Vinyl arrived from Amazon. It looks gorgeous but I am keeping it in the shrink wrap for now.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I managed to get my tickets this morning in the presale.
Just after I booked my Tears On The Dancefloor Vinyl arrived from Amazon.

That's a dangerously massive hit of Steps excitement in a very short space of time, Alexis.

Congratulations on both. Buying tickets can be stressful, so I'm glad you managed to get seats you were happy with. I'd seen the layout with the catwalk, which looks interesting.

Shame you missed out on the meet and greet. It's a shame you didn't know about it in time to work it out with your friends. Their concerts sell well, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some extra dates added, so fingers crossed for you. But the main thing is you'll be there with fantastic seats!!!

Have you had any more thoughts about what you'll do with displaying the vinyl?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
That's a dangerously massive hit of Steps excitement in a very short space of time, Alexis.
I know! The vinyl was supposed to delivered at the weekend but I got an email saying it was delayed. I'm kinda glad it arrived this morning instead now to add to the Steps tickets excitement.
Shame you missed out on the meet and greet. It's a shame you didn't know about it in time to work it out with your friends. Their concerts sell well, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some extra dates added, so fingers crossed for you. But the main thing is you'll be there with fantastic seats!!!
Yea, I'm fairly certain there will be an extra date. If not though I may upgrade my ticket to the meet and greet and that way I can still sit with my friends. I saw some people on the Steps Facebook page say they did this last time. I didn't know it was an option.

Have you had any more thoughts about what you'll do with displaying the vinyl?
I have like a floating shelf above my bed, that I have some framed prints and stuff displayed on. Currently there's some framed artwork from Madonna's Immaculate Collection. A framed Andy Warhol print of Joan Collins, a signed framed Sketch of Joan Collins, a framed quote from GWTW, a framed movie poster from Singing In The Rain and a 1970s Mego Cher doll.
I think the Steps vinyl's will end up there too, I will have to change some stuff around and I am thinking of getting frames for them.

I also just realised I have Joan Collins' Beauty Album on LP from 1980 too! So I may get that framed too just for the whole campness of it all.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I may upgrade my ticket to the meet and greet and that way I can still sit with my friends. I saw some people on the Steps Facebook page say they did this last time. I didn't know it was an option.

Same here. I wouldn't have known this. That could be the perfect solution for you. It's win-win

I have like a floating shelf above my bed, that I have some framed prints and stuff displayed on. Currently there's some framed artwork from Madonna's Immaculate Collection. A framed Andy Warhol print of Joan Collins, a signed framed Sketch of Joan Collins, a framed quote from GWTW, a framed movie poster from Singing In The Rain and a 1970s Mego Cher doll.
I think the Steps vinyl's will end up there too

Oh my. I have to admire your devotion to the glamour. That sounds amazing. And the perfect environment for Steps.

I also just realised I have Joan Collins' Beauty Album on LP from 1980 too! So I may get that framed too just for the whole campness of it all.

I didn't know such a thing existed and had to Google. That cover is great. The fusion of preppy casual and big-haired divadom makes it look quite surreal. Almost as though her head's been superimposed onto a model from a menswear catalogue.

I'd love to see a photo of this wall when you've got it just the way you want it.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I've made a mental note to myself to watch The One Show tonight just to see the new routine performed live for the first time. The very idea brings back memories of recording CD:UK to see the latest Steps routine, and wearing out a VHS tape rewinding and fast forwarding to get the routine down (kids today don't know they're born when it comes to learning dance routines).

I'm assuming the performance will be at the end of the show, but I wish I knew for sure, though. I usually avoid The One Show like the plague, and the prospect of a full 30 minutes of both Alex Jones and Ronan Keating chills me to my bowels.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I am just in from work and watching now on the iPlayer. Decided just to watch it all too. I am quite liking this new Irish presenter.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I am just in from work and watching now on the iPlayer. Decided just to watch it all too. I am quite liking this new Irish presenter.

Enjoy. It was an interesting setup, with just Faye and Lisa in the studio and the other three on screens. I loved Faye's line that they'd been socially distanced for years. Even though she then went on to say that all their routines don't involve them touching or breathing on one another, her initial comment can still be read on a number of different levels.

Faye's frou frou sleeves were very Val Ewing circa 1981, I thought.

No revelations, but I haven't heard the One For Sorrow sewage plant story for a few years (the researcher watched Steps: The Video, methinks). And the story about Prince Charles at Party In The Park. Again. It makes me smile that a photo from 1999 was introduced as though The One Show had an exclusive scoop. I noticed this time round Lisa refrained from saying she was worried the Tragedy pose could be seen to be making fun of his ears.

Loved the set for the performance, with the big neon STEPS lettering matching the album cover. The performance was great. I don't know how live the vocals were (i.e. - if there were some pre-recorded vocals to make them sound better). If not, I'm very impressed with all of them. They all sounded great. An interesting choice to go hand-held considering the new routine, but the one-handed version worked OK. They seem to have found the balance between the routine and the vocals. And Lisa can always be relied on to sass things up. She was front and centre wiggling as though her life depended on it.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Grrrrr. The signed CD has now appeared on Amazon (claiming to be an "Amazon Exclusive") for just £10.99. And with a pre-order price guarantee, which means the price could drop further. And with the probability it would be delivered early. So I've handed over my money and my personal information to a company about which I know nothing, when I could have simply ordered it from Amazon with a click, paid less and probably received it sooner.

I was about to go to the Steps Store to explore cancelling my order when I realised I'd downloaded the damned single. Even though I can't find anything on their website - including a way to contact them - I'm sure this would involve some hassle.

It is irritating that fans who commit early to support them get ripped off this way. It's only a couple of quid at the moment, but it's the principle. And it does threaten to ruin my buzz about the new album.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Panic over. I've now cancelled the Steps Store order and gone with Amazon. It was pretty painless, and my buzz is back.

I've noticed the CD on the Steps Store is no longer signed, which I suppose is how Amazon can claim for it to be an exclusive. I wonder how many booklets the guys have signed. For it to be sold on Amazon this way I'd think it must be a heap more than usual. How on earth do they find the time between promotional appearances, video shoots and whatnot?!

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Grrrrr. The signed CD has now appeared on Amazon (claiming to be an "Amazon Exclusive") for just £10.99. And with a pre-order price guarantee, which means the price could drop further. And with the probability it would be delivered early. So I've handed over my money and my personal information to a company about which I know nothing, when I could have simply ordered it from Amazon with a click, paid less and probably received it sooner.

I was about to go to the Steps Store to explore cancelling my order when I realised I'd downloaded the damned single. Even though I can't find anything on their website - including a way to contact them - I'm sure this would involve some hassle.

It is irritating that fans who commit early to support them get ripped off this way. It's only a couple of quid at the moment, but it's the principle. And it does threaten to ruin my buzz about the new album.
Yea it's kind of the same with tickets too. It's a bit random what seats go on the presale. They aren't all that great. You'd think they would allocate better seats to fans who had just chucked a load of cash at buying bundles of CD, LP, cassettes, Tshirts, badges and whatever else the store was selling. I could have probably got better seats in the general sale. This doesn't just apply to Steps though, it seems to happen with all presales. I always get ticket buying anxiety though and cant control myself. I have horrible memories of general sale tickets selling out in a day and loosing out. The presale makes me get all my ducks in a row and let me be in with a chance of definitely getting tickets. It's just not always the best ones.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Yea it's kind of the same with tickets too. It's a bit random what seats go on the presale. They aren't all that great. You'd think they would allocate better seats to fans who had just chucked a load of cash at buying bundles of CD, LP, cassettes, Tshirts, badges and whatever else the store was selling. I could have probably got better seats in the general sale.

It's a bit baffling, isn't it?

I always get ticket buying anxiety though and cant control myself. I have horrible memories of general sale tickets selling out in a day and loosing out. The presale makes me get all my ducks in a row and let me be in with a chance of definitely getting tickets. It's just not always the best ones.

I don't do that many concerts and have never enjoyed the experience of buying tickets, but at least the pre-sale gives the chance to secure some tickets. And I'm sure there'd be no problem selling them on if better ones come up later on.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Steps were on This Morning today on a Skype/Zoom interview with Holly and Philip. Lisa was at home in Dubai and the rest were all at home in the UK. It was just a nice little chit chat and a good plug for the tour next year. No performance, but they did mention Sia giving them the new track and that they have had it for 3 years now. They were on tour with the last album when they got it. It's so strange that the tour is a full year away. Now we have only two months to wait for this new album and cant wait to get on to single number two. Hopefully we get an acoustic version of What The Future Holds and a few remixes soon too though in the mean time.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Steps were on This Morning today on a Skype/Zoom interview with Holly and Philip.

Thanks for that. I'll see if it shows up on YouTube or catchup and take a gander.

they did mention Sia giving them the new track and that they have had it for 3 years now. They were on tour with the last album when they got it.

Wow. I know you said the video was shot a year ago, but three years is a heck of a time to wait. They did so well to surprise us with it as I'm sure they were bursting with excitement.

It's so strange that the tour is a full year away.

Yes, but it's great that the goodness will be nicely spaced out. None of this back for nine months and disappearing for years business.

Now we have only two months to wait for this new album and cant wait to get on to single number two.

I love Jenny Silver's version of Something In Your Eyes, so I'm very excited about what's coming up. This has promise to be up there as a favourite Steps era, and that's really saying something.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for that. I'll see if it shows up on YouTube or catchup and take a gander.
I checked YouTube and it wasn't up yet. It's on the ITV Hub though, I did have to skip through most of it to get to Steps. I think it's about 2 hrs in. It's the bit before they start talking about Covid restrictions.
Wow. I know you said the video was shot a year ago, but three years is a heck of a time to wait. They did so well to surprise us with it as I'm sure they were bursting with excitement.
I am just glad Sia gave them the song, as they weren't definite about another era at that stage. Initially it was just maybe a one off gig and another greatest hits which then turned into a new original album and a tour. Now we have all this ahead of us, so maybe I should appreciate Sia a little bit more. Even if I do think she's just bloody everywhere and I haven't loved everything thing she's done. I love What The Future Holds.
Yes, but it's great that the goodness will be nicely spaced out. None of this back for nine months and disappearing for years business.
Yes... Anything that prolongs the joy is fine by me.
I love Jenny Silver's version of Something In Your Eyes, so I'm very excited about what's coming up. This has promise to be up there as a favourite Steps era, and that's really saying something.
I like the original too but it does feel like it's missing something and I cant put my finger on it. I know it's very ABBA-ish, and that suits Steps down to the ground but the production on the original song is very bland I think. It needs to be more ABBA-fied and get all the bells and whistles added. I am hoping that the Steps girls vocals and maybe some overlapping harmonies will really elevate the song and make it sound like that perfect lost ABBA song. It really has potential, I'm just hoping the Alias do a cracking job with production on it. Which I think they will.
Something In Your Eyes does sound almost identical to Story Of A Heart if you listen to the song slowed down.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I checked YouTube and it wasn't up yet.

It's there now, with the slightly misleading title "Steps teach Philip and Holly to dance". In the whole interview there are about ten seconds of H showing them the windscreen wiper move. On a related note, it seems only three or four years since they were on This Morning with a tutorial for the Love's Got A Hold On My Heart lasso.

Shame about the communication problems with all the dropouts and lost signals. I got the sense that most of them didn't know what was being said, so we ended up with repeated plugs of the tour and album. A nice interview though.

maybe I should appreciate Sia a little bit more. Even if I do think she's just bloody everywhere

I must confess I don't know her beyond the name, the big bow and the fact that she's Australian.

I like the original too but it does feel like it's missing something and I cant put my finger on it. I know it's very ABBA-ish, and that suits Steps down to the ground but the production on the original song is very bland I think. It needs to be more ABBA-fied and get all the bells and whistles added. I am hoping that the Steps girls vocals and maybe some overlapping harmonies will really elevate the song and make it sound like that perfect lost ABBA song.

I'm sure they will. I have a feeling it'll be like what they did with Tina Cousins's arrangement for Deeper Shade Of Blue.

Something In Your Eyes does sound almost identical to Story Of A Heart if you listen to the song slowed down.

Well, now you have the album on vinyl you can play Story Of A Heart at 45rpm and hear how their version of Something In Your Eyes will sound.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This is fun. The "fails" title sounds one of those YT vids that trashes artists, but actually there's a lot of warmth and laughter. Many of them are down to technology not working or choreography stuff that only fans would notice. We're probably familiar with many of these (Claire in the tube, etc), but it's good to see them all compiled here.

My favourites are 1:12, where Claire starts singing the After The Love Has Gone lyrics instead of One For Sorrow (so funny, because it reinforces what virtually every fan has said about the similarity between the songs). And 4:04 where Faye calls out the wrong name of the city and looks mortified while the others fall about laughing (it took me a few watches to work out what had happened).

I had such a laugh watching. It highlights the camaraderie and fun of the group as people rather than pop stars.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This is fun. The "fails" title sounds one of those YT vids that trashes artists, but actually there's a lot of warmth and laughter. Many of them are down to technology not working or choreography stuff that only fans would notice. We're probably familiar with many of these (Claire in the tube, etc), but it's good to see them all compiled here.

My favourites are 1:12, where Claire starts singing the After The Love Has Gone lyrics instead of One For Sorrow (so funny, because it reinforces what virtually every fan has said about the similarity between the songs). And 4:04 where Faye calls out the wrong name of the city and looks mortified while the others fall about laughing (it took me a few watches to work out what had happened).

I had such a laugh watching. It highlights the camaraderie and fun of the group as people rather than pop stars.
Funnily enough I watched that video last night on YouTube...

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
What the Future Holds - Cahill Remix

I LOVE it! There are an extra couple lines of lyrics in the remix, right before Lee's part that are really, really good. I wonder why they cut it in the single mix? I hope they are in the album version.