• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

"Just one more thing...": Rewatching Columbo

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Tim Vine clearly had too much spare time on his hands during the last lockdown.

Ha ha. Well, I think most of us did.

Tim's lockdown was obviously far more creative and fun than mine.

He's clearly a fan and did a very good job there.

Definitely. His attention to detail is really something.

He's also done a really impressive video with scenes from Jaws (which I've posted elsewhere). I might have a rummage round his channel and see what else he's come up with.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
His inventiveness is impressive. You really have to be a fan of the show to realise how closely he has tried to recreate that scene.

Absolutely. It goes some way towards matching up with Steven Spielberg's direction, and that takes some doing.

It was great fun to see the little "behind the scenes" at the end, which really highlights the creativity and improvisation that's gone into these setups.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
A nice article about Columbo in The Guardian a couple of days ago.

Oh, very nice. It's great to see Columbo still gaining new fans... and influential ones at that.

It is a little odd to see him referred to as Frank Columbo throughout the article. I've become so used to everyone just calling him Columbo I don't even think of the character as having a first name (and I believe there's some contradictory information out there about just what it is anyway).

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Algorithms being what they are, some videos suggested to me this morning included scenes from Poker Face, a new "howcatchem" series which seems heavily "influenced" by Columbo:
Yes, I've heard of that. I believe the resemblance is intentional. A homage, if you will.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Algorithms being what they are, some videos suggested to me this morning included scenes from Poker Face, a new "howcatchem" series which seems heavily "influenced" by Columbo:

Looks interesting and a lot of big names associated with it. I'm guessing that the high profile actors will be the murderer in each episode, like they were in Columbo. Also, if I'm not mistaken, isn't the typeface they've used for the titles for the trailer you posted very similar to that used for Columbo?

2023-06-30 (3).jpg
2023-06-30 (2).jpg

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I've heard of that. I believe the resemblance is intentional. A homage, if you will.

Lots of the YouTube comments were saying this.

It comes across strongly in practically every aspect of the series, from the format to the highly stylised direction (in some of the clips I saw). Even the lead actress's mannerisms and delivery are pure Peter Falk.

I'm guessing that the high profile actors will be the murderer in each episode, like they were in Columbo.

That was my guess, too, and it threatens to swing me towards wanting to watch at some point.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, isn't the typeface they've used for the titles for the trailer you posted very similar to that used for Columbo?

That struck me too. The series certainly can't be accused of missing any opportunities to channel Columbo.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm watching Columbo for the FIRST time. I bought the complete dvd box with all episodes plus all TV movies.

I remember reading that Michael Richards used Columbo as inspiration for Kramer (Seinfeld), and having now seen 4 seasons of Columbo, I must say "Bravo, Michael!" I can see so clearly how he's used Peter Falk's mannerism. It's spot on.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm watching Columbo for the FIRST time. I bought the complete dvd box with all episodes plus all TV movies.

I remember reading that Michael Richards used Columbo as inspiration for Kramer (Seinfeld), and having now seen 4 seasons of Columbo, I must say "Bravo, Michael!" I can see so clearly how he's used Peter Falk's mannerism. It's spot on.
I think you're in for a treat. Columbo is one of my all time favourite TV shows and I never tire to watch episodes when they come on TV. I can see the similarities between Columbo and how Kramer behaved in Seinfeld.