Larry Hagman Documentary To Air This Autumn

Rove

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
Excuse me? That is a horrid title. I thought this was going to be a documentary about the life of Larry using personal footage, his roles and speaking with family and friends. This title suggests Larry died under unusual circumstances, think Michael Jackson. I'm sorry. There is no smoke and mirrors surrounding Larry's death. I don't think I'm going to watch this now :(

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
If it's part of the Autopsy series it won't be documentary about his life, career and legacy but a sensationalist look at his death, raking over his autopsy report and discussing if anything in it can be traced back to something he did in his life, such as alcoholism and drug taking.

Karin Schill

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Ouch! That title doesn't make me as eager to watch this. I'm sorry to say it but this documentary sounds a bit tacky! :(
I'd rather they focus on Larry's life and his achievements than the way he died.

James from London

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
If it's part of the Autopsy series it won't be documentary about his life, career and legacy but a sensationalist look at his death, raking over his autopsy report and discussing if anything in it can be traced back to something he did in his life, such as alcoholism and drug taking.
Yes, there's a whole bunch of these going out about famous dead people. It sounds exploitative and horrible, but perhaps Linda Gray's involvement indicates otherwise. I hope so, but I won't be in a hurry to watch.

Rove

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
I'd rather they focus on Larry's life and his achievements
Exactly. Especially as Larry's portrayal of JR Ewing changed the television landscape forever. Once upon a time he had the entire world in his grasp and such was that grasp he commanded a large salary. Dallas proved to television executives there was a market for adult contemporary drama. There are multiple actors - past and present - who should be kissing the feet of Larry...starting with Dame Joan Collins.

I hope Linda hasn't been duped into something she may later regret.

Angela Channing

Reaction score
Medals
They did an edition of the Autopsy series on the death of Robin Williams and his family were vehemently opposed to it. I watched that show and could tell why they were against it. It was mainly about his poor lifestyle choices that might have contributed to his death and reconstructed the last hours of his life with a lookalike actor. It is exploitative trash TV but that's what attracts audiences.

Toni

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I´m almost sure I won´t see that. The last thing I need is a male version of "Mommie Dearest". I wouldn´t be surprised if the thing is produced by a certain resentful daughter...This age is truly depressing re the fact that nobody seems to really respect the artists who passed away. Why can´t they limit themselves to exploit the hollow lives of the Trashdashians?

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I'm hoping James is right and that Linda's involvement dictates that it will be tasteful. I'll keep you posted on whatever I find out guys.

#lindandlarrydefenderforlife

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
These "documentaries" are tabloid sensationalist at best. Yes the give you an insight into who the people were, but they focus on everything they did "wrong" rather than on what they had great success with. Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and many others have featured in the past.

No offense to Larry but his life just wasn't in the same league as these pop/movie superstars who lived their lives popping pills (for whatever reason) and died with overdoses in very sad situations.

I'm amazed that Linda took part...interesting that Patrick didn't though!

southfork88

Telly Talk Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping James is right and that Linda's involvement dictates that it will be tasteful. I'll keep you posted on whatever I find out guys.

#lindandlarrydefenderforlife
@Sarah ... James ???

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Whoa whoa - Let's slow down here. Too much speculation. It hasn't even aired yet.

Linda Gray was Larry's best friend and loved him. That should not be in any doubt. She would never do anything to harm his name and she is not going to be put into doubt on this site.

Let's just see what is happening with this and UD will give any information we find out.

To make it clear, I adored Larry Hagman and Linda Gray is my hero. I wouldn't have started this thread if I thought it was going to receive negativity about who is doing what and why.

By all means debate the programme, but give it a chance to air first before judging people for taking part.

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
Ah, They have done one of these on Whitney and Jacko and I found them to be in bad taste. I just don't think people need to know the ins and outs of people's deaths.

Angela Channing

Reaction score
Medals

Toni

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
This looks as if they were filming "The Making of a Guilty Pleasure" but with "Dallas" instead of "Dynasty"...

upload_2019-6-26_19-12-35.jpeg