Last TV show you watched?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Most of the DVDs you have are OOP, and the ones that are still available is a potpourri of UK and US releases.
Surely such an iconic and mega-popular tv series warrants a proper re-release e.g. complete boxsets for each doctor?

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Most of the DVDs you have are OOP, and the ones that are still available is a potpourri of UK and US releases.
Surely such an iconic and mega-popular tv series warrants a proper re-release e.g. complete boxsets for each doctor?
I have the UK releases. Which were still available in many of my local shops in March this year, before lockdown.

That’s weird because some of the titles there were released in 2020. And some from 2028-2019. Fury From the Deep was released weeks ago! And I got an Anneke Wills-signed copy of The Power of the Daleks 2020 release not long before that. All the 2005 onwards stories are available in my local shops on both DVD and blu-Ray. I could get hold of most Doctor Who stories within 48 hours if I wanted to. And a week for difficult titles. They show up on my available to order lists.

Also some series are now being released on blu-ray series sets. Like Jon Pertwee’s fourth series for example, in a Season 10 box set. With additional extras.

Must dash. The Plane Makers is on!
E0501018-2E4C-469D-9286-3C26FAB8170A.jpeg

C42BA331-9AD2-4545-91E4-1EF2DCDDC7C7.jpeg

881678F1-F548-4F3B-AA14-E176E1A37170.jpeg

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
- Episode 3 of "The Romanoffs" (aka the one with Christina Wonder-Herricks and Isabelle Huppert kicking each other´s asses, a very wicked turn of "The French Lieutenant´s Woman, someone give Christina an Emmy now!)

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Good Fight season 4.

Weird finale to a show that has made weird its stock in trade - in a good way.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Two more eppis of "I Dream of Jeannie", a good remedy to the quarantine anxiety. In the first one, "Fastest Gun in the East", Larry becomes a white-hat J.R.!!! As usual, both actors seem to enjoy themselves to the max whenever there is a detour from the usual astronaut shenanigans, already quite worn out. Another "Dallas" connection: one of the supporting actors is Eddie Firestone, who played two roles in the Texan saga: Alf Brindle, the boozy guy who almost gave Ewing Oil in a silver plate in Season 7, and Rabbit, one of Clayton´s friends who got murdered by serial killer Lady Jessie!!!

1605089095850.png

cobbles

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So I started watching Criminal Minds from the start on Prime today. Got through 7 episodes (will probably ration to 1-2 a night tops during week though).

It was shown on digital channels mid afternoon here in the UK for many years (may well still be). Caught the odd episode, but never watched in full. So plenty to watch.

I assume a fair bit was edited for those runs going on what I watched. A little darker than I remember it being. There's some very obvious tropes emerging already, but it's still quite fascinating. I think as someone who finds true crime a bit icky a times the fact it's drama provides a level of disassociation (I know the plots sometimes mirror real criminals though). The scene opening the tin box with all the wedding rings (eight or nine I think) when we'd only seen a couple of his crimes was enough to make me go and search out some mindless comedy and a break.

Although 15 seasons of Reid serving as Mr Exposition walking encyclopedia may turn me off. Hopefully there is some character development for him down the line.

Not all unsurprising but a bit disappointing to learn there's an incredible amount of creative license in terms of the gap between what real BAU units do and the one in the show. But then again only showing profilers at desk work would be a less engrossing drama.

Look at wiki it also seems to have had it's fair share of cast problems so be interesting to see how they deal with those.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
'Succession' Season 2 premiere. Really loved season 1 and the finale was excellent. The characters are all contemptible assholes but I can't get enough of them. The writing is superb and season 2 looks like it's just going to go from strength to strength.

1609689846372.png

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
'Succession' Season 2 premiere. Really loved season 1 and the finale was excellent. The characters are all contemptible assholes but I can't get enough of them. The writing is superb and season 2 looks like it's just going to go from strength to strength.

View attachment 24318

Season 2 is every bit as awesome.
If it wasn't for this darn pandemic, we'd have season 3 now. I seriously need to know what happens next!!!!!!!!

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched the 8 part miniseries The Name of the Rose with John Turturro and Rupert Everett. I had not yet read the novel that it's based on, so the plot was new to me. After the last episode, I had to Google that secret book. I am quite familiar with the author, being a language and philosophy teacher, but I didn't know all that's known of it, which of course isn't much unfortunately.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Pale Horse. I liked that they had changed a few things so it wasn't the exact same story as the novel. And the slightly obscure ending was interesting.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Blood & Treasure
I read that 50 Shades of Grey started as Twilight fanfic.
I suspect that this may well have begun as "Indiana Jones Meets Lara Croft".

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I finished "The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair" last night. It's not exactly must-see.

Last edited:

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I bingewatched "Top of the Lake: China Girl". It turned out to be much better than the first mini-series though its reviews were mixed (as if I cared!). Elisabeth Moss is a Goddess of Acting (I wish she weren´t a Scientologist, though...), and Gwendoline Christie finally found a role to prove she is much more than Brienne from GoT. She´s amazing, goofy, funny and heartbreaking, all in one.

"Yes I wore no makeup for this..."​

Go figure that the weakest link here is Nicole Kidman: she plays one of those godawfully ugly beeches she likes to play lately, a woman who can´t stand the teenage daughter she adopted and is leaving her hub for an incredibly preachy, dumb lesbian. If this hadn´t been directed by Jane Campion, I´d say it´s an anti-lesbian story, which is not.

The story has a couple of loose ends and predictable twists, but otherwise is a 6-hour masterpiece set in the beautiful city of Sydney. Too bad that Moss´ own "The Handmaid´s Tale" and Kidman´s own "Big Little Lies" overshadowed this when Emmys were awarded. I was sad to read that Moss wouldn´t come back for a third season, which is likely to happen.

Maybe you just didn’t see enough Gwendoline Christie...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvd2_Z5GXiY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dOeyvLieuAU